X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

The bigger the dice, the bigger the brand

I found a ring of brand your melee attacks with cold. So a 1d3 dagger has about a 20% increase in damage to cold. A 2d5 long sword about a 40% increase. My 6d10 trident does 375 to others and 790 to those not resistant to cold and lightning (it itself having a lightning brand). Now, is this something that needs to be looked at? because this seems a bit overpowered for the brands to do so much more damage on high dice weapons. It seems the higher the dice, the greater the increase in branding damage. Don't get me wrong, 790 to most things is quite fun, but seems a bit overpowered! The enchantment on my 6d10 trident is only (+14, +5).
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

You are quite correct on how it works; the brand multiplies the dice value by 3 (2 for weak brands) before adding on the + to damage. So big dice weapons are the best ones to have a brand.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

@Nick:
      That said, 6d10(!) Seems excessive. That is 33 base damage, without slays, brands, or criticals. You get
      max blows with almost no effort early in the game. The ONLY comparable weapon in normal artifacts, is Deathwreaker, at 31.5 base damage. Yeah, it does more criticals, but it's hard to get even 5 blows with it. And you can't get extra blows, and you almost never find it anyway.

Comment

• Sky
        Veteran
        • Oct 2016

bah, call me when you get a rin of +2 attacks with acid or slayevil brand.

don't forget +11 speed.
        "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡