X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

i'm out of recall scrolls.

ok, im playing a human mage. he's doing pretty well, CL 9, 75 hp.

thing is, i'm in town, and i dont have any recall. and i dont have any gold. and selling is off.

i used my last gold on rations. i have one scroll of descent, which would take me to DL13. i've been scumming DL1-3 for half an hour trying to raise 250 gold, but nothing so far.

any ideas?
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

never mind, i figured it out, by killing over and over the townsfolk. *sigh*

incidentally, is there a way to bind a key to rest? i keep accidentally reading my scrolls of phase door.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Level 1 has gold too. Best to pick it up deeper tho. But yes, that does happen from time to time, early in the game.
      To bind a key to rest: 'R&' should work. I more often bind 's' to 'R5' to rest a few turns to let a monster come into view.

Comment

• Sky
        Veteran
        • Oct 2016

ok but, how do i do that? is there a menu for key binding? is it a string i need to type in?

Comment

• Qyx
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2012

'=' opens the options menu
          'k' opens keymaps
          'd' creates a keymap

Pick the key you want to map, something unbound like 'j' or 'y' will work (you can see the list in the help menu on playing the game or playing.txt, any of the unused keys are good to start with.

Let's say you picked 'j'. The screen should look like:

> Create a keymap
          > Key: j

Press <enter>.

Then you type in what you're mapping, in this case 'R&' followed by '$' to close the keymap. Save it, then you can use it. (If you want to use the same keymap in another session, you can save use 'Save keymaps to file'.)

You can also define macros on the option page, but i haven't seen yet what the use of those vs. keymaps is.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Never, ever use macros. (I suspect the only reason there was ever an interface was to validate macros when the game was first written.) They are a feature intended almost entirely for game internals, converting terminal-control escape sequences into recognizable single keystrokes.

Comment

• Werbaer
              Adept
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Pete Mack
              (I suspect the only reason there was ever an interface was to validate macros when the game was first written.)
              There were things you were able do with macros, but not with keymaps. In particular, changing options.

For example, with a macro, you could change the Disturbance options from "disturb when any monster moves" to "disturb when visible monster moves", rest up, and change the option back. ("any monster" interrupted resting even when a monster moved that was only visible via ESP)

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

ok, it works a charm. except i'm not sure why the "write to file" isn't on by default, but hey, i can remap it easily.

Comment

• luneya
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2015

In response to the conundrum that started this thread, it seems that the best way to handle the problem of returning to the dungeon at level 9 without money for recall scrolls is not to use recall (or deep descent) for the job. Just enter the dungeon and start taking downstairs. It's faster to get where you're going this way than it would be to gold-scum, and you're more likely to find something useful along the way.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Luneya--
                    The issue wasn't getting down. It was getting back up again. Exploring the low levels a second time has a much lower ROI than eking out enough cash for a recall scroll.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Luneya--
                      The issue wasn't getting down. It was getting back up again. Exploring the low levels a second time has a much lower ROI than eking out enough cash for a recall scroll.
                      Solution: keep diving until you find a scroll. It's a mini-ironman game!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Yeah, I've done that more than once, though not with something so fragile as a gnome mage. As a rogue, it's easier, because of superior detection.
                        Originally posted by Derakon

Comment

• Sky
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
                          suicide mission.

Comment

• gameplay appreciator
                            Rookie
                            • Feb 2017

Luneya--
                            If you've spent an hour and a half scumming for gold at d1-3, and/or town you've driven your ROI so far into the floor you would've been better off quitting the game. #my2cents

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Sky
                              suicide mission.
                              What, you think ironman gnome mage is impossible to win?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎