• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zangbandfreak
    Rookie
    • May 2007

WinCE version?

Hi,

Happy to see development is continuing again. Is there any chance we'll see a pocketpc version? The only one available is decades old and won't even install on my WM5 device.

thanks,

zf
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zangbandfreak
    Hi,

Happy to see development is continuing again. Is there any chance we'll see a pocketpc version? The only one available is decades old and won't even install on my WM5 device.
    There should be. In the mean time, there is Psi's port of FA:

The plan is that mouse controls can be extended to vanilla so that you can play it using only the stylus; if you have a hardware keyboard, then that's good too. It's hard to say when this will actually appear in vanilla...
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

It installs on my WM5 device. Be aware that the first cab actually contains a second cab and this is the one you should use to install from. Once it has installed you may need to create a few empty directories which seem to have been left out before it will work. I've since updated it and added VGA support - copy the files from here over the originals.

But as Nick says, try the FA port - it is a lot better!

Comment

• zangbandfreak
        Rookie
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
        There should be. In the mean time, there is Psi's port of FA:

The plan is that mouse controls can be extended to vanilla so that you can play it using only the stylus; if you have a hardware keyboard, then that's good too. It's hard to say when this will actually appear in vanilla...
        That's okay. At least i'll have a *band to play again when i'm on the road. Thanks

Comment

• zangbandfreak
          Rookie
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Psi
          It installs on my WM5 device. Be aware that the first cab actually contains a second cab and this is the one you should use to install from. Once it has installed you may need to create a few empty directories which seem to have been left out before it will work. I've since updated it and added VGA support - copy the files from here over the originals.

But as Nick says, try the FA port - it is a lot better!
          Aha. And the fact that i try to immediately install it on my storage card probably isn't helpful either. I'm going to install the FA port right now

Comment

• Leon Marrick
            Sangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Hi,

thanks,

zf
            Question: What's the screen resolution of pocketPCs nowadays?
            S(all) W/D H+ D c+ f? PV++ s? d- P++ M+
            C S !I !So SQ RQ V+ F:<<buffer overrun>>
            http://angband.oook.cz/code

Comment

• pav
              Administrator
              • Apr 2007

Most of them have 320x240, some have 640x480.
              See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• zangbandfreak
                Rookie
                • May 2007

Hm .. i must be doing _something_ wrong here. I unpacked FA to my storage card and ran FA.exe. The cursor starts doing the busy-thing and then nothing. No error, no angband, no fun

I have about 24 megs of RAM free, even scummvm runs smoothly on it, so that cannot be the problem, right? Or is there something else i need to do?

Btw, i have a Qtek9100 which runs WM5 in 320x240 on a 200MHz cpu with an average of 20-26 megs of RAM free.

Didn't try the way-old angband CE port yet, since i really want to run this variant and play with it.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Hm .. i must be doing _something_ wrong here. I unpacked FA to my storage card and ran FA.exe. The cursor starts doing the busy-thing and then nothing. No error, no angband, no fun
                  OK, it looks like my compiled version sucks, as usual. It's possible Psi has an up to date one in the directory he referred to earlier in the thread for angbandce - at least he should have a working version. I'll look into this and try to get a better version up soon.

Comment

• Psi
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

OK, it looks like my compiled version sucks, as usual.
                    Have you updated it recently? The last version I took from your site worked (before I accidentally smashed my beautiful 640x480 VGA screen... )

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                      Have you updated it recently?
                      Not since releasing 0.2.3. But it seems like my compiles work for you but not many other people, whereas yours work for everyone... At least this one is a working version of 0.2.2.

Comment

• zangbandfreak
                        Rookie
                        • May 2007

Not since releasing 0.2.3. But it seems like my compiles work for you but not many other people, whereas yours work for everyone... At least this one is a working version of 0.2.2.
                        Hey, i now have a working variant on my ppc Now all i need is find some time to try it out. Swamped in work thanks to the vacation of my colleages .. *shrug*

Thanks for all the help. Just one more question: where should i check for further updates?

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Thanks for all the help. Just one more question: where should i check for further updates?
                          I'll do a post here when I get a recompiled 0.2.3 up on the site. Then you can test whether it works for me

Comment

• zangbandfreak
                            Rookie
                            • May 2007

I'll do a post here when I get a recompiled 0.2.3 up on the site. Then you can test whether it works for me
                            Fantastic. I'll see if i can subscribe to this thread, or have me emaild or if all fails, bookmark it Thanks again!

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Fantastic. I'll see if i can subscribe to this thread, or have me emaild or if all fails, bookmark it Thanks again!
                              Thanks to Psi, we now have what should be a workable CE port of FA0.2.3:

At least, I assume it works OK

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎