How many heals necessary to kill M and S?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

How many heals necessary to kill M and S?

Looking thru old winner posts, I see that I've used anything from 2 heals, 1 *heal* and half a dozen CCW (back in 3.1 days when CCW was overpowered) to 6 heals and 3 *heals*. Other posts I did not inscribe potion counts so can't be sure. I am wondering what the expected and worst case counts are, and how many are needed for S. I suspect I use more for S because I spend no time shooting from a distance to save on Banishment and Destruction scrolls.
  • dos350
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

hey , literally from memory alot, back when i last won the game i believe max stack size was honestly 99? god i used alot of potions!!!
    ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

It depends. Class, race, equipment, experience level, hit points, armor class, damage dealing, speed, terrain, luck... there are so many factors that can impact how much and how often @ needs to heal. The lowest number of heals I've had is Zero, but that was with perfect terrain. The highest, I don't know, quite a lot really. Going after Morgoth with a low experience level, low hit point @, I had to use quite a lot of consumables to win.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Yep. Primary factors include how quickly you can damage Morgoth, whether you're fighting him in melee vs. at range (melee of course needs more heals), and luck. If Morgoth spends all his turns moving towards you instead of casting spells, then you could potentially take zero damage over the course of the fight -- and with proper terrain setup this isn't as farfetched as you might think. On the other hand, if he chooses to sit at range and spam manastorm, then you'd better have a lot of potions.

Comment

• MattB
          Veteran
          • Mar 2013

For me, my shopping list is:

20 healing
          10 *healing*
          as many Life as I find
          10 Banishment
          10 Mass Banishment
          5 *Destruction*

Way more than I'll need, but it's easy to remember! ;-)
          Also, I play slowly enough (c.100k turns) that I never struggle to get there, or thereabouts.

EDIT: Obviously, I struggle to get to endgame, but when I do I've usually got most of the above list sitting naturally at home. I never use the above in the dungeon, except !Healing, and then only when I've got 20 safely tucked away at home. So basically, I don't scum for consumables. I sure would if I was trying to win in under 75k turns. But I don't do that.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MattB

20 healing
            10 *healing*
            as many Life as I find
            10 Banishment
            10 Mass Banishment
            5 *Destruction*

Way more than I'll need, but it's easy to remember! ;-)
            Also, I play slowly enough (c.100k turns) that I never struggle to get there, or thereabouts.

EDIT: Obviously, I struggle to get to endgame, but when I do I've usually got most of the above list sitting naturally at home. I never use the above in the dungeon, except !Healing, and then only when I've got 20 safely tucked away at home. So basically, I don't scum for consumables. I sure would if I was trying to win in under 75k turns. But I don't do that.
            This is exactly what I was looking for, the Morgoth shopping list! Just took out Sauron for the first time and now I'm gearing up for a tilt at the big guy himself.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
              Adept
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
              It depends. Class, race, equipment, experience level, hit points, armor class, damage dealing, speed, terrain, luck... there are so many factors that can impact how much and how often @ needs to heal. The lowest number of heals I've had is Zero, but that was with perfect terrain. The highest, I don't know, quite a lot really. Going after Morgoth with a low experience level, low hit point @, I had to use quite a lot of consumables to win.
              Could you please define perfect terrain?

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
                Depends on how you approach the fight. With some cleverness, you can hockey-stick Morgoth to death without him getting a single turn to attack you with -- though this is a lot easier in variants that have controlled teleport abilities. Usually you want terrain that limits Morgoth's ability to overwhelm you with summons, as that's his primary means of putting you in jeopardy. Generally that means either a Destructed zone, or a vault with permanent walls close together.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

That's easily twice as much banishment as you really need, and you can get by with less heal and *heal too. I am actually wondering how much you need in a basic standup fight.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

What Derakon said.
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2013

So I can't use staves of banishment against Morgoth? Will he drain them and get health back? Is that right? No staves of any kind?

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

So I can't use staves of banishment against Morgoth? Will he drain them and get health back? Is that right? No staves of any kind?
                        One of Morgoth's melee attacks can drain charges from any wands or staves (but not rods) in your inventory, healing him in the process. If you don't plan on meleeing him, or you're confident in your ability to dodge or overcome the extra healing he gets, then using "charged" items is fine. Otherwise, leave 'em behind. What I'll often do is bring a Staff of Destruction with me, use it before the fight starts to create the destructed zone I like to fight in, then drop it out of the way. Sometimes I'll be able to re-use the staff partway into the fight to get rid of some summons. And sometimes it gets destroyed by earthquakes. But since Scrolls of Destruction are so rare and so useful, anything I can do to replace them with something more common is helpful.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

You can still use staves and wands against Sauron and Morgoth, realizing that once they're in melee range they can drain charges and regain health. For example, mage players sometimes use wands of annihilation and drain life against the Big Bosses, phase dooring away or teleporting them away when they get too close.
                          Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; October 24, 2016, 21:06.

Comment

• Egavactip
                            Swordsman
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            Looking thru old winner posts, I see that I've used anything from 2 heals, 1 *heal* and half a dozen CCW (back in 3.1 days when CCW was overpowered) to 6 heals and 3 *heals*. Other posts I did not inscribe potion counts so can't be sure. I am wondering what the expected and worst case counts are, and how many are needed for S. I suspect I use more for S because I spend no time shooting from a distance to save on Banishment and Destruction scrolls.
                            Last night I think I used 10-12 heals and 2 *healing* to deal with Sauron. I doubt I have ever gone below 6 heals and 1-2 healing in killing Sauron. Now those figures also include item loss as well as item consumption. Those figures also usually include 1 or more rods of healing or artifact healing being used as well.

I cannot really imagine killing Sauron with only using 2 heals and 1 healing. That seems remarkable.

Comment

• Egavactip
                              Swordsman
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by MattB

20 healing
                              10 *healing*
                              as many Life as I find
                              10 Banishment
                              10 Mass Banishment
                              5 *Destruction*
                              Interesting. For me:

40 heal
                              as many *healing* as I can find (up to 40)
                              as many life
                              as many banishment (at least 15)
                              as many mass banishment (at least 10)
                              as many *destruction* (up to 40), though realistically I could do with far less as I virtually never use them in the last two battles

also

as many runes of protection
                              40 restore mana (for mages, perhaps less for others, though I usually end up with 40 for them as well)

I leave the lifes at home when going for Sauron. When fighting Sauron, I try to use only heals if i can.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎