• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

The black market is out of control!

(playing latest nightly)

I think the BM is far too generous in stack sizes.

During the course of most games, I purchase 20 or more scrolls of teleportation, such that I never need to worry about this hugely important escape. They used to be relatively rare and I would hoard my precioussess like a miser.

Also, !*Healing* are frequently available in large stacks of a dozen or so in the BM. Thesse are end game consumables, but now you can buy enough for the Morgoth battle in one visit to the BM for only 45k!

But just this minute, the biscuit was well and truly taken...
    10 potions of Life, only 15k each. I'm only in the dlvl30's, so I could only afford 5 of them but still, that's probably enough. At the very least they should have a price equivalence to !augmentation, but I'd rather see BM stack limits on !*Healing* and !Life of two, or even one. Collecting these two items is such an integral part of the game that I think the BM is rather ruining the fun...
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

I agree. In current game, I bought a huge stack each of *Healing* and Mass Banishment(!), and a modest stack of ordinary Healing.

Comment

• Bogatyr
      Knight
      • Feb 2014

The RPG giveth, the RPG taketh away. I like the new black market. Plenty of times there is nothing. I have not seen any endgame consumable stacks yet and I'm clev 41. Finally, there is a place to spend all that otherwise useless cash. Why not? Don't like it, don't buy it.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

I didn't think anything had changed, so I don't know what's causing this.

As to whether it's a good thing or not - I'd say it sounds a bit excessive.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Simple fix would be to just make endgame consumables (*Heal*, Life, Banish/Mass Banish/Destruction) 10x more expensive.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

A better fix is to make max stack size vary the same way recharging does

Comment

• Bogatyr
              Knight
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pete Mack
              A better fix is to make max stack size vary the same way recharging does
              I like the new stack sizes. It presents itself in a truly useful way very rarely so far in my experience. Most useful was a stack of !Intellect for a relatively new mage that had enough cash to buy most of them, it was a big boost and fun to find, I blew all my AU on them. Choice is good.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Intellect is a low level potion, so a big stack is reasonable. *Healing*, not so much.

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

I won't be buying out this black market!

EDIT: Just checked back on my next visit to town - everything still there with the addition of 10 potions of Strength!
                  (shame I've got no cash, really).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MattB; October 2, 2016, 13:22.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                    Knight
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MattB

EDIT: Just checked back on my next visit to town - everything still there with the addition of 10 potions of Strength!
                    I saw inventories like that in my previous game. In my current one: it's like a cheap pawn shop.

Comment

• mrfy
                      Swordsman
                      • Jul 2015

Wow! I've never seen stacks like that in the Black Market. Are you using one of the nightly or branch versions? I'm still using the last released version.

Comment

• MattB
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by mrfy
                        Wow! I've never seen stacks like that in the Black Market. Are you using one of the nightly or branch versions? I'm still using the last released version.
                        Nightly - I think this phenomenon has occurred post-fork, as it were!

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Nightly - I think this phenomenon has occurred post-fork, as it were!
                          Hmm, OK.

How would people feel if consumables were more likely to turn up in the Black Market once the player had found an example in the dungeon?
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                            Hmm, OK.

How would people feel if consumables were more likely to turn up in the Black Market once the player had found an example in the dungeon?
                            I don't think I'd like this, since bad luck in the dungeon would be compounded in the black market.

Comment

• MattB
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Nick
                              Hmm, OK.

I wouldn't like that - it would sort of rip out the spirit of the BM.

I have no issues with, e.g., !Life showing up in the BM whenever - just not in stacks of 10! I'd be happy if stacks were limited to 2 of high-level consumables.
                              Or maybe just one of anything? It's a bit silly when the black marketeer goes: "You want a launcher? Sure! I've got 10 launchers for sale today! Unfortunately, they're all short bows of power (+8,+15).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎