• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old_school
    Scout
    • Nov 2010

First Legit Win after 23 years!!

Hi All,

First legitimate winner!!! Sorry for the long post, I hardly say a word, but can't shut up when writing...

Long time lurker, 3rd time posting here. I started playing roguelikes with Larn, then Moria in 1993. I know I was playing Angband in Dec '93 as I posted this message in rgra looking for a 570K memory version of PCAngband. I started playing on an 8086 pc and it was SLOW. A friend on an LPMud acquired a bunch of 286/16k mobo's and sent me one. I was so excited to play Angband quicker. The problem tho, was that the mobo wouldn't fit in my case. Being a poor student at the time, I would have to spread out and hookup my computer on the bed every night to play Angband. It was still worth it to get away from that 8086. I still play the old roguelike vi keys after all this time.

Throughout the years, I've always came back to Angband to play for a few months. This last time, though, I decided to attempt winning the right way. As evidenced by my name "BJA LXXVI" it took quite a few tries and I believe I tried 99 times prior to that before I discovered the auto-increment roman numeral function.

I seemed to be ever searching for resists this game and still ended up with some gaps. I couldn't afford to lose the Con bonus to cover all resists. I was basically ready for Morgoth at level 45 after killing Sauron, but I ground out a few more consumables because I was running scared with my first attempt at Morgoth. My deciding factor was finding a 2nd bunch of Holy Might shots to go with my incredible Sling of Buckland. I found 3 of them in total this game. Cubragol came late unfortunately and I hardly got to carry it.

The final fight was pretty anti-climatic. I think I only used 6 *Healing*, 3 Healing, and 0 Life potions. My Staves of Magi held up wonderfully. I never used a potion of restore mana. The Holy Might Shots were good for about 50-60% of Morgoth's health after which I swtiched to Mana Storm and Rift. No Destruction, I was fortunate enough to spawn near a small vault with permanent walls which the battle occurred in and around of.

I have my 11 year old son playing Angband as well (save scumming his first game) and he watched both battles with Sauron and Morgoth. He was almost as excited as I. He was also a big help in keeping a 2nd set of eyes on my HP. He made sure to tell me when it was less than 600.

Thanks to Nick and the other current devs for taking up this game of ours and keeping it alive.

Now I guess I'm off to try Randarts!!
    BJA
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Congrats, and thanks for the story
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Cold_Heart
      Adept
      • Mar 2012

That's pretty great, congratz!

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Well done! It is much easier to win the second time, and it is easier to play just about any other class than mage. Kobold or High Elf rogue is a very different game, and Priest is different from both.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Great story! And welcome to the dark side and randarts.

Comment

• krazyhades
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2013

Congratulations! Getting that first win is a huge achievement. I agree with Pete when he says that it feels much easier to get a second win than to get the first.

Of course, if you get tired of randarts or the other classes, you can always try some of the excellent variants out there...

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Yes there are good variants out there. Another challenge is to win in under 1,000,000 game turns (then under 500,000, which I have only done once.)

Comment

• old_school
                Scout
                • Nov 2010

Well, I'm in my 40's and have played Angband for over half my life. For me, there can be only one... I have no urges to play a variant at this point. I must admit though, I play a lot of Minecraft with my wife and 3 kids as well. I have a couple of survival servers set up along with a UHC and Skyblock server. That passes my time away from Angband.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2008

Another hearty congrats! Maybe you'll inspire me to finally get this done.

Comment

• Arphod
                    Apprentice
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                    Another hearty congrats! Maybe you'll inspire me to finally get this done.
                    I know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme, but get this done. It is a satisfaction that few understand.
                    Little Willie was a chemist
                    Willie is no more.
                    What he thought was H2O
                    was H2SO4.

Comment

• the Invisible Stalker
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by old_school
                      The final fight was pretty anti-climatic.
                      In my experience there are really only two types of final fight:
                      1. anticlimactic
                      2. fatal

I'm sure a better player would get things just right, but I always find myself either massively over-prepared or under-prepared in some critical way.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by the Invisible Stalker
                        1. anticlimactic
                        2. fatal

I'm sure a better player would get things just right, but I always find myself either massively over-prepared or under-prepared in some critical way.
                        Ordinarily, I'd say you are right, but there are some notable exceptions. Checkout these two from my own experience:

Comp 186 - kobold rogue, Vanilla runeid beta. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18829. Out of healing consumables, exposed to several hits that could have been deadly, surrounded by summons. Won with only 4 hps remaining.

Comp 169 - human ranger. Vanilla no artifacts. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17429. Had to take major risks and little to no rests to have any chance of coming in ahead of PowerWyrm. Won by only 48 turns.
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Bogatyr
                          Knight
                          • Feb 2014

Larn! Loved that, played it on terminals, before starting and obsessing over moria in my college/grad school days, then angband. I played rogue and hack as well, rogue on a government computer lab VAX 11/780 running BSD UNIX. The sysadmin (he was a hardass) complained to my boss and I almost got fired. I never won rogue, ever. People complaining that angband is too hard have no idea what hard means! Spent quite some time with omega, too, that was quite interesting. But I always come back to vanilla angband. Roguealikes are the only way to fly.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by the Invisible Stalker
                            1. anticlimactic
                            2. fatal

Another chance to link to the best FA character ever
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎