X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Potions of resist poison

I find strange that a poisoned character drinking a potion of resist poison doesn't get the poison removed. It's the case with mushrooms of the clear mind vs confusion.
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
  • Bimbul
    Adept
    • Sep 2015

There is resist poison and neutralise poison.

Presumably (I don't know the coding) resist just makes the time it takes to be no longer poisoned shorter like the slow poison spell of priests. And reduces damage taken by poisoned gas attacks of course - which presumably their real purpose.

I guess it is slightly confusing.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Resist Poison gives you temporary poison resistance, preventing you from becoming poisoned and reducing the direct damage you take from poison attacks (like green dragon/drolem breaths).

It really ought to also cure poison outright. Any temporary effect that gives you resistance to a status ailment should also cure that status ailment -- we see that not just with the mushrooms of Clear Mind but also with Heroism potions vs. fear. It's inconsistent for it not to apply also to potions of Resist Poison.

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        Resist Poison gives you temporary poison resistance, preventing you from becoming poisoned and reducing the direct damage you take from poison attacks (like green dragon/drolem breaths).

It really ought to also cure poison outright. Any temporary effect that gives you resistance to a status ailment should also cure that status ailment -- we see that not just with the mushrooms of Clear Mind but also with Heroism potions vs. fear. It's inconsistent for it not to apply also to potions of Resist Poison.
        I agree, FWIW.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Does seem kind of obvious.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Thraalbee
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Ring of Poison resist could also be enhanced to match elemental rings with activation for stinking cloud plus stacking temporary poison resist for a short while

Comment

• krugar
              Apprentice
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
              I find strange that a poisoned character drinking a potion of resist poison doesn't get the poison removed. It's the case with mushrooms of the clear mind vs confusion.
              I think the rationale for this comes from the fact poison is a different type of damage; not instant damage, but damage over time. It both damages and attaches a negative effect.

The potion of Resist Poison follows the normal pattern for damage resistances and exists to accommodate the need to reduce damage input. It's just a Resist X type of potion (with the added benefit it will protect from being affected by the "poisoned" effect).

The potion Cure Poison is the not really an outlier. It is a natural consequence of the way poison works. It simply cures the "poisoned" effect. It's more akin to the Clear Mind example you gave.

Granted, the annoying thing about this is that one will theoretically want to waste 2 inventory slots, instead of just one to deal with poison (assuming no rPos on equipment).

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Solution: ditch the Neutralize Poison potions, rename Resist Poison to "potion of antivenom" or something. Neutralize Poison potions were pointless anyway considering that CCW (and I think also CSW) does everything they do and more.

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

Solution: ditch the Neutralize Poison potions, rename Resist Poison to "potion of antivenom" or something. Neutralize Poison potions were pointless anyway considering that CCW (and I think also CSW) does everything they do and more.
                  This used to be the case, but no longer: ccw are rare, the shop stocks less than it used to. I commonly carry a poison curative along wirth ccw before I get the resistance - either neutralize poison potions, or a cure staff/rod.

I have ranted about this before, and it is the one thing in this stupid game I really really would want changed: the only reason for me to cure that damn poison is that all my rest macros stop working while poisoned, so I have to click-wait-click-wait for literally hundreds of turns.

Other status effects have the same issue, but not nearly as aggravatingly since they last shorter.

Is there a chance that the dot duration gets capped at a reasonable number of rounds ? Maybe 10 or so.
                  Long dot is not dangerous at all, just terribly annoying. Hell, even a total removal of the dot effect would be a welcome temporary hotfix, untill someone finds a glorious solution for what poison is going to do.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Estie
                    Is there a chance that the dot duration gets capped at a reasonable number of rounds ? Maybe 10 or so.
                    Long dot is not dangerous at all, just terribly annoying. Hell, even a total removal of the dot effect would be a welcome temporary hotfix, untill someone finds a glorious solution for what poison is going to do.
                    Solution:
                    Code:
                    damage = min(1, timer / 10);
                     timer -= damage;
                    The problem with poison is that the per-turn damage is always only 1 point. Increasing the per-turn damage when you're badly poisoned makes sense, and I'm frankly surprised it wasn't done ages ago.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

CSW does nothing to cure the poison effect, only CCW or better. The problem with removing Neutralize Poison, to my mind, is that poisoning is fairly common early on, as are the Neutralize Poison potions. A good balance. Resist Poison potions are rarer (and to use them for simply removing the effect would be a waste). I tend to save !rPoison to single-resist against highly-poisonous encounters, like a Basilisk. And even better to double-resist against highly *poisonous* encounters like Shelob, Ungoliant, Greater Basilisks, and others. I've read some people here ignore curing poison all together, just letting the effect wear off, but I usually carry a rod of curing around for awhile just to get rid of the troublesome effect, at least until I've built up a large supply of CCW.
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• bio_hazard
                        Knight
                        • Dec 2008

Should Poison drain mana as well? And if not, should something else (confusion? nether?)

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                          Should Poison drain mana as well? And if not, should something else (confusion? nether?)
                          Disenchantment, clearly.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

Disenchantment, clearly.
                            I would be more than OK with this

Comment

• Raccoon
                              Scout
                              • Oct 2015

For what it's worth, I agree that !rPoison should also remove current poison effect, if it also prevents future ones. It's just logically consistent and consistent with the other resistance potions in the game.

I also agree that more severe stages of poisoning should take off more HP. But I also agree that I don't tend to carry !Neutralize Poison once anything more interesting shows up to take that inventory space. Early in the game, the damage isn't anything that I can't just shrug off with a !CLW. Later on, !CCW takes care of everything anyway.

Also, as for getting mana drained, isn't that what "It drains psychic energy from you!" is for?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎