Whatever happened to 'restore artifact'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Another thing that springs to mind here is the Oangband monster spell "dispel magic", which removes player buffs - haste, blessing, etc. Having diesenchantment preferentially do this, and then move on to player equipment if there were no more buffs, is a possibility. Or do one of those at random.

Or both at once
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
      Another thing that springs to mind here is the Oangband monster spell "dispel magic", which removes player buffs - haste, blessing, etc. Having diesenchantment preferentially do this, and then move on to player equipment if there were no more buffs, is a possibility. Or do one of those at random.

Or both at once
      This can lead to really weird (and tedious, IMO) play where you're trying to find a particular type of monster just to repeatedly bait it to cast a particular spell at you.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
        This can lead to really weird (and tedious, IMO) play where you're trying to find a particular type of monster just to repeatedly bait it to cast a particular spell at you.
        Wait, why would you be doing that?

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Or both at once
          I'm not sold on the idea that mages would be immune to disenchantment -- simply because they always have Haste Self and Resistance up once they can cast them reliably. Priests would also have an incentive to keep Bless up continuously (or Resist Heat and Cold, I guess) even though Bless is mechanically useless outside the very early game.

I do think that dispelling buffs and draining SP would probably be too much (whether or not equipment is damaged, which I'm largely discounting as of little immediate impact).

Another thing Disenchantment could do, though, is temporarily cancel the bonuses on your gear. Probably just AC/hit/dam bonuses as losing, say, the +10 speed on your boots or the Free Action on your amulet would be a bit unfair. But finding yourself suddenly with only your "material" AC and Ringil as a 4d5 (+0,+0) would be a pretty weighty effect.

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
            I'm not sold on the idea that mages would be immune to disenchantment -- simply because they always have Haste Self and Resistance up once they can cast them reliably. Priests would also have an incentive to keep Bless up continuously (or Resist Heat and Cold, I guess) even though Bless is mechanically useless outside the very early game.

I do think that dispelling buffs and draining SP would probably be too much (whether or not equipment is damaged, which I'm largely discounting as of little immediate impact).

Another thing Disenchantment could do, though, is temporarily cancel the bonuses on your gear. Probably just AC/hit/dam bonuses as losing, say, the +10 speed on your boots or the Free Action on your amulet would be a bit unfair. But finding yourself suddenly with only your "material" AC and Ringil as a 4d5 (+0,+0) would be a pretty weighty effect.
            This is sort of how corrosion works in DCSS now. When a corroding monster hits you, I think you lose equipment bonuses in multiples of 3 or something. It disappears as soon as you spend a turn resting, IIRC.

It's common to see players who ignore the effect racking up like -20 in maluses, which "feels like" -80 in angband numbers. It's kinda neat.
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Yeah, good point.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                Veteran
                • Jun 2007

Wait, why would you be doing that?
                Guessing from your response, I probably misunderstood what you meant. Nevermind, I'll try to re-read your suggestion.

Comment

• Rydel
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 2008

Perhaps combine this with Nick's suggests and have it try to remove buffs, then drain SP if their aren't any buffs (Or have it try to train a "pool" of points, coming first from reducing buff durations, then draining SP for the remained.)
                  While a Mage or Priest could cast buffs to try and prevent this SP drain, they'd be spending SP to do so, so that really wouldn't help them.
                  I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Bless adds +10 to hit and +5 to AC. Not useless and there are multiple versions of it with bigger ones having longer duration (Prayer in book 4 lasts 48+1d48 turns for 14 mana). This IIRC doesn't stack though, so each cast just starts the timer again.

The most used buff spell is protection from evil. It has stacking duration which is longer than you use recovering from casting it which means that you can cast it multiple times in a row, then rest and it lasts a long time afterwards.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                      The most used buff spell is protection from evil. It has stacking duration which is longer than you use recovering from casting it which means that you can cast it multiple times in a row, then rest and it lasts a long time afterwards.
                      The only problem is that it only works against lower level monsters. At level 50, you can probably kill level 50- monsters without it.
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                        The only problem is that it only works against lower level monsters. At level 50, you can probably kill level 50- monsters without it.
                        I think it works against higher level monsters as well, just not that well. Haven't looked at the code.

Anyway if low-level evil monster can't even touch you it makes things easier. There are quite a lot of monsters with native depth shallower than 2500'. Also doing that multiple casts in a row, rest doesn't take much real time, just turns.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                          Bless adds +10 to hit and +5 to AC. Not useless and there are multiple versions of it with bigger ones having longer duration (Prayer in book 4 lasts 48+1d48 turns for 14 mana). This IIRC doesn't stack though, so each cast just starts the timer again.

The to-hit and AC of Bless/Chant/Prayer (!Heroism, !Berserk Strength), do not stack, BUT the duration does stack. When going down to fight Sauron or Morgoth, there's no reason not to buy out the stores of these items and read or quaff them all for a few extra points of to-hit and AC. The duration will likely last the entire battle.

I hardly ever use protection from evil, since it only works on monsters lower than the @'s CL. Since monsters go up to 100, but @ can only go to 50, it's usefulness is limited. Nonetheless, I do read the scrolls when I come across them. Sometimes it helps dealing with the chaff.
                          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍