Discuss level feelings; accurate? inaccurate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rowan
    Adept
    • Sep 2014

Today's scripture reading:

Oozing, seeping, and gushing- these are all holy in the sight of the gods. Spilling, spraying, spewing- these are anathema. The word of the lords. Thanks be to gods.

Haha, who knows. Originally they probably just wanted to keep fighters special snowflakes with their swordy swordliness.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Rowan
      Today's scripture reading:

Oozing, seeping, and gushing- these are all holy in the sight of the gods. Spilling, spraying, spewing- these are anathema. The word of the lords. Thanks be to gods.
      Nice one. My guess, too, would be "balance", but...I don't agree that classes/races have to be balanced, necessarily...

As to the OP's question: Neither. My answer would be meaningless. Completely and utterly meaningless.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
        As to the OP's question: Neither. My answer would be meaningless. Completely and utterly meaningless.
        This is clearly untrue. They just don't necessarily mean what you think they mean.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          This is clearly untrue. They just don't necessarily mean what you think they mean.
          Hah! Point taken, but not accepted.

Do you see what I did there?

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Although level feelings are misleading, since they don't reflect anything about monster inventories or drops, I still use them as a little "exploration" rule. Here's what I do:

A) Explore level until @ gets the "treasure feeling". If it is a 4 or less, explore until the first down-stair and take it. (Although, if there is a Unique that I see as a target of opportunity, I'll try to stick around and take it out in hopes of getting a good drop.)
            B) Explore more thoroughly if the feeling is 5 or above (especially in the early levels as this could mean a 'thanc dagger, the phial, free-action gloves or boots).
            C) As @ get's deeper in the dungeon, I tend to up the "explore more thoroughly" threshold to a 6 and later a 7. How deep do I make the adjustment? Not sure, really. I just go by feel. It depends on the @'s class/race, hp's, gear, etc.
            D) If level feeling is 8 or 9, explore until I know why, and if it's something I want try and grab it.
            E) Overarching all of this - GTFO if danger becomes overwhelming, no matter what the level feeling is.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nomad
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
              Although level feelings are misleading, since they don't reflect anything about monster inventories or drops, I still use them as a little "exploration" rule.
              Yes, your system is very similar to mine. I like the delayed treasure feelings as a way to add a bit of variation to my playstyle - rather than "always immediately go down the first set of stairs you find" (which usually gets me killed because I'm too melee-happy to be good at stealth characters) or "always completely clear every level" (which is too slow and boring for me) the level feelings create a nice balance between the two: "explore for a bit until the 'timer' goes off, then make a decision over whether to keep looking or head for the stairs". It also provides a little bit of motivation to stick around on tougher levels instead of just running away from every halfway dangerous monster that shows up.

There may or may not actually be a useful prize to correspond to a high treasure feeling, but for me the encouragement to mix it up and try different exploration tactics on different levels is kind of a reward in itself. It adds a bit of a variety instead of falling into a rut of approaching every level the same way.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎