How should a warrior take care of time hounds?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talharim
    Apprentice
    • Jul 2015

How should a warrior take care of time hounds?

What are the best strategies for taking care of Time Hounds? When I used to play Angband I had a mage so I used to banish them.

I have fortunately found ESP in a crown (made my damage go down a lot though) and was wondering if I should just flee from them or if there was a safe way of killing them as a warrior. My current speed is nothing to write home about (+3 speed).
    Cowards live a long time, brave ones usually die soon of a glorious death.
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Flee, you fools!

The only point in ever taking them on is when its the only way to get to a vault you really want to crack open. In that case, the best way is to wait in a room around the corner; that ensures 1. that they approach and 2. that you get 1 round of (ranged) no retaliation attack, plus win initiative the round after. Speed is of the essence though, +10 speed (assuming you have a source of buffing) is needed; without it, its probably suicide.

Casters have a much easier time with hounds, as they can use their pack ai against them and hit them from out of LOS with aoe attacks and no risk of the hounds ever closing in.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Yeah, use a corner, have at least speed parity, and have enough offense to kill each hound in one round of combat. Time hounds are not an insurmountable obstacle, but they're generally worth avoiding if possible; all they give is experience, and experience is readily available elsewhere.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

They need food and water and crave attention. They really want you to spend a lot of time with them.
        You are on something strange

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by hallucinationmushroom
          they need food and water and crave attention. They really want you to spend a lot of time with them.
          <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
            They need food and water and crave attention. They really want you to spend a lot of time with them.
            Thread title and poster name were sufficient for me to predict where this was going
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎