X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by debo
    You can handwave combat noise away by assuming that you would always expect there to be a fight or three going on in Angband at any given time, so that it would have to be a pretty big battle to really attract interest
    And you can hand wave digging noise away with all the delving, smithing, roaring fires, etc. going on. I'm sort of confused with the interest in making digging worse. If you don't like digging, don't dig!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by half
      If one wants to make digging less good without being frustrating, a way to do so is to make it loud (perhaps just for manual digging). This is something Sil does. I think V might use the max_sight to limit how far sound can travel, which might make this less relevant. If so, I think V should remove (or raise) that limit. Sound is an interesting way to balance things.
      You're beginning to sound like Nick with his "FAAngband already does that!".

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by half
        If one wants to make digging less good without being frustrating, a way to do so is to make it loud (perhaps just for manual digging). This is something Sil does. I think V might use the max_sight to limit how far sound can travel, which might make this less relevant. If so, I think V should remove (or raise) that limit. Sound is an interesting way to balance things.
        FAangband already does that
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• half
          Knight
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
          You're beginning to sound like Nick with his "FAAngband already does that!".
          But FAAngband already does that!

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

^^ amazing
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

All right, here's a plan for digging.
              • Aside from rubble, walls cannot be dug without an item with + to digging (main weapon or dedicated digger)
              • +n to digging means you can dig a wall of strength n - magma is 1, quartz is 2, granite is 3
              • If your digging power matches the wall exactly you have a 50% chance of success, increasing (in a transparent way) as you become more powerful than the wall
              • Possibly still a race-based digging skill, or maybe just dwarves get an innate plus, but keep it simple and obvious
              • The spell Stone to Mud increases in power with player level
              • Wands and rings have a fixed digging level (with wands probably digging quartz but not granite)
              • Digger just needs to be carried in the inventory

EDIT: After the restructure, of course

Comment

• Bogatyr
                Knight
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Nick
                • Aside from rubble, walls cannot be dug without an item with + to digging (main weapon or dedicated digger)
                • +n to digging means you can dig a wall of strength n - magma is 1, quartz is 2, granite is 3
                • If your digging power matches the wall exactly you have a 50% chance of success, increasing (in a transparent way) as you become more powerful than the wall
                • Possibly still a race-based digging skill, or maybe just dwarves get an innate plus, but keep it simple and obvious
                • Wands and rings have a fixed digging level (with wands probably digging quartz but not granite)

Ew, how does this make the game better? Please keep a birth option, "unbroken digging."

Comment

• quarague
                  Swordsman
                  • Jun 2012

Looks good to me. I think the increase in power can simply be: if your digging strength is bigger than the wall strength, you have 100% chance of success.
                  Question: I was under the impression, that currently practically all dungeon walls are granite, is that the case? If so I think we need some gradually increasin average wall strength as you progress deeper into the dungeon.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
                    Ew, how does this make the game better?
                    Well, the idea was to clarify the rules, to make digging a more interesting and nuanced part of the game, and also to streamline it a bit. My feeling is that currently most players get essentially perfect digging fairly early - it seems to me not a bad idea to spread that skill acquirement out a bit.

That said, that was a bunch of ideas more or less off the top of my head - there may well be good arguments against any or all of them.

Please keep a birth option, "unbroken digging."
                    Always, although it will be called "Angband 3.5"

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by quarague
                      Question: I was under the impression, that currently practically all dungeon walls are granite, is that the case? If so I think we need some gradually increasin average wall strength as you progress deeper into the dungeon.
                      Good point - currently it's granite, except for a couple of seams of magma and quartz running through, and the odd bit of permanent wall for vaults. A change like this would require at least a rethink about how this is done.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                        Knight
                        • Feb 2014

Good point - currently it's granite, except for a couple of seams of magma and quartz running through, and the odd bit of permanent wall for vaults. A change like this would require at least a rethink about how this is done.
                        What's good for the goose is good for the gander: if it's harder for characters to delve, if there are increasingly "hard" wall materials (where "hard" can be thought of as a combination of physical and magical properties, e.g., to prevent ethereal beings easy passage), it should be harder for pass-wall and wall-eaters (including possibly even the big boy "P") to pass through them.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Time to retcon Angband as a... quartz volcano, or something. "And thus did Morgoth descend upon the smouldering gemstone mountain, and he was wroth that something so 'ooh shiny' should have been left unclaimed by him for so long," etc.
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• EpicMan
                            Swordsman
                            • Dec 2009

Angband's other name is Thangorodrim, which means "Iron Hells", so maybe shift the rock names
                            Magma/Early levels: Limestone or something like that
                            Quartz/Mid levels: Granite
                            Granite/Deep levels: Iron Walls.

There should also be streamers of permanent rock thrown in (those vault walls have to come from somewhere.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

I dimly remember early versions of Angband claimed that permanent walls were made out of titanium. I guess Morgoth has one hell of a smelting team; that stuff isn't exactly easy to refine and work.

Comment

• d_m
                                Angband Devteam member
                                • Aug 2008

My guess is that Morgoth's smelting team consists of Greater Hell Wyrms led by Itanghast.
                                linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍