X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

Wifeless/kidless win plan

So, my wonderful wife is taking my wonderful children away for a week and leaving me at home with the dog.

The catch is...
    Firstly the dog - he's an adolescent, grumpy 16 stone Newfoundland - and secondly, I've got to paint the entire house, inside and out, and remake the conservatory.

However, in addition to this I have an ulterior goal: to get another Angband [3.5] winner...

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a race/class combo?

To give you an idea, I've had precisely five winners: a hobbit rogue, a high-elf ranger and three half-troll warriors - so I'm not looking for anything 'challenging'. Also, I am absolutely hopeless at mages. So they're out (to be honest, anything remotely squishy is unlikely to work - I lack the attention span, and there'll be beer involved {a lot of beer}).

Any ideas, folks?

From tomorrow (Saturday) lunchtime I've got precisely seven days...

If anyone's interested I'll keep you posted on my progress.
  • Angrist
    Adept
    • Jul 2014

Dwarf Priest. Priests win more often than other classes. And dwarves, according to statistics, quite often win. But Timo said that it is not too fast combination.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Half-troll Rogue or Ranger....interesting combos.
      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Kobold paladin. Dunno if they're necessarily an easy combination, but kobolds are pretty overpowered and so are paladins, so how bad could it be?

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Wut, kobolds are squishy and he already has a Newfoundland! Half troll rogue +1 from me.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

You want to be as drunk as possible. Therefore, you want another warrior. Whether you want another half-troll or not, that's up to you. High Elf or Dwarf or Dunadain are all really easy choices, if you ask me. Have a blast man, sounds like an awesome 7 days. The last time the wife left I was home alone for 5 days, but with both kids... so yeah, there was no Angbanding of any quality up in this here house.
            You are on something strange

Comment

• Raxmei
              Apprentice
              • Feb 2011

My easiest and quickest wins have generally been dwarf paladins, warriors coming in second. Dead simple fighting style, exact opposite of squishy. Bash & heal, bash & heal. Just don't forget to keep some 0-fail contingencies and try not to let too many monsters have a go at you at once. Glancing at your win record it looks to be a change of pace for you, having won with neither a dwarf nor a paladin.

Comment

• quarague
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2012

go with HT paladin, feels like a warrior that eventually gets access to healing spells and some other useful magic.

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Haha! Thanks guys!
                  Well, with two votes, Half-Troll rogue wins it.

My first job is to get the mop out. I've just returned from the 5 hour round trip to the ferry port to find out that the 'kobold' has had a massive diarrhea attack in the living room. Three of them to be precise. The place now looks suitably like Angband. Probably smells similar too...

Time to roll up that rogue.
                  (I should really start by reroofing the conservatory but, hey, I've got all week right?)

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

Feeling quite secure and easy at the moment.
                    Nothing much to report, bar an eye pit on dlvl9 which drained over half my xp (and yielded...a helm of wisdom).
                    Luckily, on the next level I found a room full of fleas and a wand of stink which gave me about 60xp per shot.
                    rBase and FrAct covered. Now for sInvis...

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

The best part (up to now) is getting FA and Resist Stun/Darkness/Chaos off the bat. I wonder how this would pan out if the combination were totally different....
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Nice as that pike is, I recommend you replace it with a lightweight magical weapon. Hell, that Warhammer of Flame is better against most targets at the moment.

Nice bow though. I don't think you'll need the sling, so you might as well ditch it.

Comment

• MattB
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                          The best part (up to now) is getting FA and Resist Stun/Darkness/Chaos off the bat. I wonder how this would pan out if the combination were totally different....
                          And no doubt it soon will be...

Comment

• MattB
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
                            Nice as that pike is, I recommend you replace it with a lightweight magical weapon. Hell, that Warhammer of Flame is better against most targets at the moment.
                            Only a bit, but you're probably right about a magic dagger being better. The thing is, for me, I consider the squelch system to be a subgame. I aim to get every slot up to squelch non-artifact and as many non-essential non-equipment items squelched as possible. As soon as I get a decent artifact weapon I squelch all (non-uber) non-artifact weapons. Even though I know that it is quite possible to get a better ego weapon, it simply is not worth ID-ing all those hundreds of egos to find it. Makes sense to me, if no-one else...

Besides, I HATE being stunned ever since my first ever encounter with plasma hounds with my first ever genuine shot at a win.

Nice bow though. I don't think you'll need the sling, so you might as well ditch it.
                            To be honest, I'd forgotten about it. I only clear out the home when I hit the storage cap.

Thanks, as ever, for the advice. It's always appreciated!

Comment

• MattB
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2013

Day 1

RL achievements
                              -Took the food kitty down to the local shop and spanked the lot on beer, wine and scotch
                              -Removed all the soft drinks from the fridge to make room for aforementioned 'food'.
                              -Played Angband. In the bath. Using my wife's laptop.
                              -Redid the flashing on the flat roof. Used the wife's hairdryer to seal it.
                              -Cleaned the tar off my fingers using babywipes (I'm not usually allowed to use them for anything other than their intended purpose because they are 'a significant expense').

Middle Earth Achievements http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16626&ok
                              -Reached dlvl40 and clvl27
                              -rBase, FrAct, sInvis and rPoison covered
                              -Excellent stealth
                              -Found a decent quadruply-branded weapon under some rubble
                              -Had too much 'food' to be playing carefully.
                              -Had a couple of close calls. Reached red HP on each one of the three stone trolls.
                              -Had to bail on a superb level (about dlvl28) due to too many summoners (couple of rangers, Someone of Somewhere). Ended up with no ammo, no phase, no teleport scrolls, unwisely meleed a black knight, got away with it only to find another one behind him so had to use my last charge of my teleport staff. Ended up running down a corridor pursued by the entire Mim family hoping for my word of recall to kick in. Lucky...

Think I might sleep on the sofa tonight. Just because I can.
                              Last edited by MattB; August 24, 2014, 00:52.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎