X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angrist
    Adept
    • Jul 2014

How do you play

How many minutes / hours a day do you spend playing? How many days / weeks/months it normally takes between character creation and the end of the game?
    I usually create a character and do not close the game until the character reaches about cL20. Then, when I have a desire, I play several times a day for 20-40 minutes games. And so on until the death of my character The most long-lived character I played for two weeks, and then won.
  • Sylverdin
    Rookie
    • Jul 2014

It depends how busy I am in real life. Sometimes my characters hibernate for months!!!

Comment

• Zikke
      Veteran
      • Jun 2008

I play for about an hour before bed many nights. I play super conservatively, so my characters take a couple weeks to win or die, usually at dlvl 98 or at dlvl 1.
      A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
      A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
      C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Angrist
        Adept
        • Jul 2014

Also tell us about your favorite part of the game.
        I like the beginning of the game, and the late stage. Because at the beginning of the game I was very pleased with the good finds and killing some monsters. And at the end of the game I enjoy the power of my character and I feel invincible. The middle of the game, I do not like. Usually I get bored in the middle. I forget about caution and begin to behave downright dangerous. Therefore most of my characters dies.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

When I'm playing Vanilla or 100 level variants, I play in 2-3 hour segments, usually drinking something strong, *or*, I'm playing at work, half distracted on a tiny window in the corner of my screen. My enjoyment of the game is directly proportional to how much damage I can dish out, so, I'm not really even having any fun until middle to end game.
          You are on something strange

Comment

• Monkey Face
            Adept
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Zikke
            I play for about an hour before bed many nights. I play super conservatively, so my characters take a couple weeks to win or die, usually at dlvl 98 or at dlvl 1.
            Wow! A couple of weeks to die on dlvl 1. That is super conservatively :-)

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Angrist
              Also tell us about your favorite part of the game.
              I like the beginning of the game, and the late stage. Because at the beginning of the game I was very pleased with the good finds and killing some monsters. And at the end of the game I enjoy the power of my character and I feel invincible. The middle of the game, I do not like. Usually I get bored in the middle. I forget about caution and begin to behave downright dangerous. Therefore most of my characters dies.
              I suspect that might be a consequence of playing too many mages :P
              Those have a long "tedium-phase" in midgame, other classes less so.

Comment

• Angrist
                Adept
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Estie
                other classes less so.
                The game brings more fun with a priest or a rogue? When my current mage will die, i will create one of these classes.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

My playstyle depends on the variant.

For PosChengband, I generally do this:
                  A) When creating Possessors, I constantly create characters until I get a favorable combination of my TOP 3 guaranteed opportunities:

i.e., at least TWO of the following in most cases --
                  1) Locke, the Superman
                  2) Combat-Echizen "Because it's time"
                  3) Wahha-Man the Golden

Hence, the ongoing tradition of my PosChengband Hugo$oul series. This character creation process of mine may take up to 30 minutes or longer in some cases.

B) When playing Possessors, I play for 1-2 hours at a time. Sometimes, I will stop much sooner if I reach a key point, like possessing a Saber-tooth tiger.

C) When creating non-Possessor characters, I play them for about 1-2 hours at a time, sometimes stopping after certain quests or a certain hour.

For Sil, I play for up to 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then stop, usually at 500ft-700ft.

My favorite parts:
                  PosChengband
                  --early-mid game: because I can get lucky finds from the various town quests
                  --late game: when I get really advanced (e.g., clvl 50 Possessor), the game gets real when I possess monsters like Locke, the Superman

Sil
                  --mid-late game: this part of the game feels easy for some reason, partly because there's a chance I can get my favorite Greatsword in the 600ft-700ft range.

Besides Poschengband and Sil, I hardly play any other variants...
                  Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; August 20, 2014, 00:18.
                  My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

The game brings more fun with a priest or a rogue? When my current mage will die, i will create one of these classes.
                    Mages are infamous for hitting a massive slump in the midgame, where their ability to kill things takes a nosedive. For the other classes:

Warriors: start out immensely strong; hit a minor slump in the midgame when they lack detection, but that stops being a problem once they get telepathy and/or a Rod of Detection.
                    Paladins: are basically strong throughout, and nigh-unkillable in the endgame.
                    Priests: Weak start, but once they get Orb of Draining they're set for a long time. Eventually they need to find another way to kill things, but that's a late-game problem.
                    Rogues: are basically strong throughout.
                    Rangers: honestly I haven't played one of these in awhile, but I get the impression they have a somewhat weak start, and are heavily reliant on finding a good bow, but once they do they can kill anything with relative ease.

Comment

• Lionmaruu
                      Scout
                      • Nov 2013

I usually play in a burst of couple hours or days then leave the game untouched for months, mainly work or other life activities, but also other games.
                      When I get back to game I usually will end up making another character that I "feel like playing" at the moment.

I think 9 out of 10 character I make or die because I wasnt paying enough atention or are left unplayed for so long I forgot what I was doing with them and decide to make a new one

My record was a character I had made and ended up getting into my backup CD from my old computer in 2001. I found it and try to finish it last year. (couldnt make angband 2.9.3 run on windows, maybe I"ll try dosbox someday)

Comment

• Zikke
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2008

I actually get pretty bored in the late-game part, which is mostly just farming for consumables and trying to convince myself I'm ready for the big fight.

My favorite part of the game is mid-game when I get my stats and gear just high enough to start diving seriously, and gutsy enough to fight powerful creatures, but not strong enough to be sure I'll win.
                        A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                        A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                        C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
                          Rogues: are basically strong throughout.
                          Nit! :

I would value the rogue start as weak, closer to priest than to mage; unless its half troll rogue, but then half troll eases the start for everyone non-mage.
                          They have crappy melee damage as dex does jack without str to accompany it.

priest < rogue << mage < warrior

Comment

• Angrist
                            Adept
                            • Jul 2014

Playing as a warrior really is so *boring*, as it seems? Several times I had created a warrior. But after the 15th cLevel I usually pressed |Q| uite.

Comment

• Estie
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2008

Playing as a warrior really is so *boring*, as it seems? Several times I had created a warrior. But after the 15th cLevel I usually pressed |Q| uite.
                              I assume you spent your time ploughing through orc hordes ? - waste of time and boring.
                              Warriors are excellent at killing things early and can go deep fast. When I play, once I have identified a good amount of early flavours and found key items like detect rods - which become very rare if diving too fast, so I try to stay shallow untill I have detect traps, doors and treasure - I take stairs down to depths where I cannot safely clear a level. Staying close to stairs, I look for profitable targets. I often leave early uniques alone when I first see them, even if I would have no problems killing, to fight them deeper where their drops are potentially better.
                              This way of playing is more dangerous, but less boring.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎