Dark blue monster recall is very hard to read.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuma
    Adept
    • May 2007

Dark blue monster recall is very hard to read.

Hello. Is there a way to change the text colours in monster recall?

After some frustrating deaths in the ZAngband wilderness trying to get to a deeper dungeon, I decided to give Angband a shot. It's been updated quite a lot since I last played.

The tiles, fonts, term windows, etc. I could manage to adjust to my liking, but the one last annoyance remains. I simply can not read what a creature is worth in experience points. Every time I want to see what treasure or how much exp a monster is worth, I need to use my hand to block out as much light as possible next to the screen and squint to read.

There is the interact with colours option, but I'd rather have dark blue monsters be dark blue. I just want loot and exp to be, say, yellow? Or just keep the whole text white.
    www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Sadly, this can only be changed by editing the source and recompiling - or, as you say, not having dark blue monsters.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Fuma
      Adept
      • May 2007

Such an unfortunate choice of colours to be hardcoded
      It is especially puzzling to me because ZAngband also has some parts of the monster recall coloured and there are no such problems since no dark colours are used.

Should I add this as a bug then?

Also, thank you for the reply. I guessed it's something that can be done in the code, but I have zero experience compiling code under windows.
      www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

• Zikke
        Veteran
        • Jun 2008

Have you tried adjusting your monitor black point? Or find a way to reduce glare. I play next to a window, and there are just certain times of the day where the angle prevents me from playing because I can't see certain things well.
        A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
        A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
        C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Fuma
          Should I add this as a bug then?
          Yeah, making a ticket for "some colors are difficult to read on recall" would be helpful in reminding us to tweak this for the next version.

At some point there was discussion of overhauling the recall so it looks more presentable. Instead of a long paragraph of text, you get a table of stuff. This reduces the need for colors because you can pick out information based on location.

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by fizzix
            Instead of a long paragraph of text, you get a table of stuff.
            This. Why hasn't this happened? Makes far more sense than the current setup. If anybody happens to be keeping track, this is where I would like my vote to be tallied.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
              Veteran
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by OOD Town drunk
              This. Why hasn't this happened?
              Angband is a 100% volunteer-driven effort and as such there are limited resources and people are likely to work on what interests them (personally) the most.

This is not to say that feedback isn't appreciated, but I think it's unfair for people to act as if they're entitled to feature $X, whatever X may be. Your post could (uncharitably) be read as having a tone of entitlement about it, though I'm not sure you intended it that way.

(Disclaimer: I'm most definitely not on the dev team, but I have contributed a minor patch or two in the past.)

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎