Starving, selling items and point of the game.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raajaton
    Swordsman
    • May 2012

The thing I had the hardest time with, at least coming from Angband to ToME 4.0, was having only 1 shot at using escapes like phase door and teleportation. I had become so accustomed to being able to phase again if I didn't like where I landed, and it got me killed a lot when I was new. That is, until I discovered how much better Movement Infusions are as reliable get-away mechanics.

Comment

• Mark
      Adept
      • Oct 2007

I've found I am often fainting before I realise I'm hungry. Possibly due to the interface options I've chosen; but I've often sudden seemed in danger - no food, no mana, and a low success-rate on Satisfy Hunger.

Combine this with fainting near monsters, and I suspect hunger can be something of an under-warned danger sometimes.

In my case the problem is made worse by the fact sometimes the status indicators at the bottom don't seem to draw at all, if the main window is sized to something non-standard (perhaps just an issue on my setup when I'm playing around with main term and all the side terms).

I would like a coloured message, that couldn't be auto-cleared for when hungry / fainting from hunger starts. But only if other people have had similar experiences?

Comment

• Raajaton
        Swordsman
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Mark
        I've found I am often fainting before I realise I'm hungry. Possibly due to the interface options I've chosen; but I've often sudden seemed in danger - no food, no mana, and a low success-rate on Satisfy Hunger.

Combine this with fainting near monsters, and I suspect hunger can be something of an under-warned danger sometimes.

In my case the problem is made worse by the fact sometimes the status indicators at the bottom don't seem to draw at all, if the main window is sized to something non-standard (perhaps just an issue on my setup when I'm playing around with main term and all the side terms).

I would like a coloured message, that couldn't be auto-cleared for when hungry / fainting from hunger starts. But only if other people have had similar experiences?
        I've certainly gotten to the point of fainting before noticing my hunger level before, but generally only when mindlessly bashing my way through a sea of enemies coming from a pit or something. To be fair, I feel like I deserve to die in those situations, since you really shouldn't allow yourself to be so comfortable that you stop paying attention in the first place. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I was happily spamming away through chump mobs just to have a drolem come from behind and kill me.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

I've also been surprised by fainting before. It hasn't killed me yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Maybe when you get to Weak, you should get repeated "You are very hungry." messages, like the "Your light is getting faint" messages?

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

@Wenex. Before you tire of the genre and/or during course of your variant exploration, be sure to give Brogue a spin (https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/). It's very different form the variants you'll find here at oook and well worth the trip.

Also, did you know Angband as well as many variants have (optional) graphics. Spruce up the dungeon a bit, play with 32x32 tiles (NPPAngband shown).
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Wenex
              Rookie
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by buzzkill
              @Wenex. Before you tire of the genre and/or during course of your variant exploration, be sure to give Brogue a spin (https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/)
              Thanks! Definately will check that out. Looks promising.

Comment

• Wenex
                Rookie
                • Jun 2014

My first playthrough and I get killed by Jelly D:
                I suck xD But anyway I like it. Thanks for sharing.

RIP moment:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

and

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The only thing, bothering me in Brogue is no level system. And the only way to get 20 Strenght to wear maces and other stuff, you need to drink potions which are totally randomly generated. It kinda sucks : P
                Last edited by Wenex; July 2, 2014, 04:32.

Comment

• Patashu
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Wenex
                  The only thing, bothering me in Brogue is no level system. And the only way to get 20 Strenght to wear maces and other stuff, you need to drink potions which are totally randomly generated. It kinda sucks : P
                  Actually, if you enchant a weapon or armour, its strength requirement drops by 1 per enchantment level, and if you wear a weapon or armour before you meet the strength requirement, its effectivity is nerfed per point you're short, but you can still use it. BUT, since enchantment is so rare, and forms the backbone of your survival through mid and lategame, you need to make sure enchantment is only used on the items you plan on having carry you to victory. Read on...
                  You should read the 'tips' section of the website. https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ This gives you a lot of useful information - and Brogue is very much a game of learning about things. Learning the best way to identify your potions and spells. Learning secret techs for killing and evading each different kind of monster. For example, where to position before meleeing a jelly, or how to stop a conjurer from running away, or that using discord on a conjurer is awesome, or firebolt on a jelly. (In Brogue you're pretty flimsy, so you can't mash your face into everything like in other games, coughCRAWLcough, you have to bring every combat in your favour or not even start it)
                  You will also die a lot. That's normal. You have to die a lot in Brogue to learn all the quirks. You might not win before your 100th attempt even.
                  Also, the quantities of enchantment and strength and life in the game - IIRC they run on a 'rubber band' distribution that tries to generate a set amount of them per game, but there won't be 'one per level' for example.

Also, I offer you my #1 tip for Brogue survival that worked like a charm back when I played:

#1: Your #1 priority is finding and wearing plate armour (enchanting it if necessary). Plate armour is the King of Brogue.
                  My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• bio_hazard
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Wenex
                    Haven't read Lord of the Rings xD Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Trying to practice my English everyday ^^
                    Can I just recommend putting the game down and remedying this first?!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                      Can I just recommend putting the game down and remedying this first?!
                      What, you mean the not-reading-the-LoTR thing? The English seemed fine!

Comment

• bio_hazard
                        Knight
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                        What, you mean the not-reading-the-LoTR thing? The English seemed fine!
                        Yes- reading the book! The English is great.

Comment

• jford_2505@hotmail.com
                          Apprentice
                          • Apr 2014

Pop-up message

Originally posted by Mark

I wonder if we should get a pop-up message the first time we go below the HP-warning threshold. Or at least a message which requires a specific key-press (e.g. "Warning: low HP, press 'y' to continue"). This would prevent a lot of deaths from people walking into groups of orcs and being slain by the Ancient dragon that appears behind them.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                            Yes- reading the book! The English is great.
                            In fact his English looks a lot better than some native English writers I have seen in the forums (this forum is exceptionally good getting grammar right). As long as you get the basics right you can pretty much make typos in every word and get your syntax messed up and everyone still understands what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎