X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peter
    Rookie
    • Mar 2014

Earthquakes

I'd be very grateful if anyone could explain the advantages and disadvantages of earthquakes.

There's no mention of them in the user manual. I searched the forum as well and couldn't find an explanation. I have a shovel that causes earthquakes and am wondering whether I should keep it.

Thank you!
    Been playing very sporadically since 1995 (Moria). Every time I get a little further! Currently playing v3.5
  • AnonymousHero
    Veteran
    • Jun 2007

Well, one potential advantage is semi-regular line-of-sight interruption. The disadvantage... well, sometimes it destroys the dungeon around you. I'm not sure if that includes removing uniques and artifacts (non-permanently unless identified), but still...

Comment

• Philip
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

Essentially, it makes an ugly dungeon, and can block you off from places. Since most things with earthquake also have tunneling, it can be mostly ignored. Neat freaks like me are going to lose it though. There is also the threat of falling walls - monsters and items can be killed. The line-of-sight interruption is a major help. In fact, for the Morgoth fight, you may be well off grabbing a staff of destruction or two, teleporting around dlvl 100 and activate several times without destruction Morgoth. Then you destroy the staff to prevent Morgoth from draining it.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by peter
        I have a shovel that causes earthquakes and am wondering whether I should keep it.
        The other thing to note here is that the "of Earthquakes" type is extraordinarily misleading - none of them actually cause an earthquake, because the trigger for causing it is dealing 50 damage from damage dice alone.

So keep it as a nice acid-branded shovel if you like
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          The other thing to note here is that the "of Earthquakes" type is extraordinarily misleading - none of them actually cause an earthquake, because the trigger for causing it is dealing 50 damage from damage dice alone.

Lol. So much for extrapolating from other *bands .

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Wait, what? Seriously? I never knew that! And it sounds like a bug to me. I guess that setup is there just for Morgoth's hammer, which happens to be 9d9 and thus would trigger earthquakes about half the time. Sounds like the rule should instead be changed to "earthquakes happen X% of the time" or "earthquakes happen when you deal more than Y% of your max damage dice in a single blow".

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

I think that is actually a bug rather than by design, because those do have earthquake flag (= IMPACT) just like Grond has. In fact that's the only item besides Grond that does have that.

Why have a flag if they can't trigger that thing? Also IMO Grond should be the only weapon capable of doing that. A unique feature a bit like The One activation.

I vote for removal of that flag and renaming that ego.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

My understanding was that the earthquake effect was nerfed like this because constantly getting earthquakes was too annoying. The current state of affairs has been true since at least 2.7.4 - I didn't check back past then

It certainly does all seem a bit silly.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

My understanding was that the earthquake effect was nerfed like this because constantly getting earthquakes was too annoying. The current state of affairs has been true since at least 2.7.4 - I didn't check back past then

It certainly does all seem a bit silly.
                  Earthquake diggers are relatively new, they were added to 3.0.x. Older than that don't even have them. It works well for Grond though. 9d9 makes average of 45, so if you get a bit above average blow it creates earthquake.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    Earthquake diggers are relatively new, they were added to 3.0.x. Older than that don't even have them. It works well for Grond though. 9d9 makes average of 45, so if you get a bit above average blow it creates earthquake.
                    Wow, you're right - that means that they *never* worked. That's a pretty impressive failure.

My checking back to 2.7.4 was for the "50 dice damage" behaviour, which has been around forever, but Grond was the only thing with the IMPACT flag until at least 3.0.0. Although I guess one might have got it on a randart.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Wow, you're right - that means that they *never* worked. That's a pretty impressive failure.
                      Yet no-one cared to fix it, which can mean only that no-one thought that to be important. Thus my suggestion to simply remove that flag and rename the ego. Easiest possible solution to fix a thing without actually changing anything in game. Can't interfere with gameplay if that remains unchanged.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

I nominate that the new ego name be of the Wombat.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                          I nominate that the new ego name be of the Wombat.
                          Thanks for the link. First episode: "small stone named edward" LOL

Comment

• Fiquin
                            Rookie
                            • Jun 2016

More on Earthquakes, please.

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                            In fact that's the only item besides Grond that does have that.

Why have a flag if they can't trigger that thing? Also IMO Grond should be the only weapon capable of doing that. A unique feature a bit like The One activation.

I vote for removal of that flag and renaming that ego.
                            Greetings Everyone,

"Mallon!" and here I am, this is my first post and I'm currently diving as deep as the 2000's after discovering Angband a few weeks ago. Regarding the game, two words: "Awesome Sauce!"

I was curious about Earthquake too, especially after finding a Staff of Earthquakes. I assume "EQ" damages monsters? I would hope a lot to make demolishing the dungeon worthwhile. Could anyone give me an idea how much damage per quake?

Regarding Grond, its impact with the ground scoops out craters according to Tolkien scholars out there. What about making some sort of crater making, meteoric impact Grond's unique power so caster's and items can retain (perhaps even a beefed up/noticeable) Earthquake?

Fiquin

Comment

• Egavactip
                              Swordsman
                              • Mar 2012

I think in all the many games I have played, Earthquakes came in handy only once, when I was attacked by some nasty monster I could neither kill nor escape from. My only hope was to cause earthquakes in the hopes of blocking the monster--which happened after a try or two.

Compared to the number of magic items I destroyed in games by causing earthquakes, before I realized it was a *bad ability for characters*, it was not much compensation.

Now such items are items I automatically and immediately ignore.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎