What race would you be, rather than the puny stock human you are?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Suppose you could change your race now, for a year. What race would you feel best being? What race would you find most thrilling to try? What race would benefit you most in your daily challenges or enable you to start a new exciting life?

Edit: Oh my, how am I supposed to fit all races in 10 choices? :<

Edit2: Well, eventually, I've only listed basic V races, under Un names (a wonderful variant, that one!), collating the ones that are related in V or Un or between them. Please explain your racial cravings and detail 'Other' options.

Edit3: Multiple choice, in case you can't decide. Public poll, so all you lurking Half-Orcs, beware or come out!

Edit4: Actually, how do I edit poll options?
    Man of Bree (sometimes mistakenly called Human'
    0%
    Wood-Elf (sometimes just called Elf, Half-Elves don't exist, except a couple of cases)
    0%
    Hobbit (don't confuse with Gnome, which is just an obscure name for High-Elf)
    0%
    Shadow Fairy (who dares to say fairies don't exist?)
    0%
    Dwarf (in fact, various races, depending on beard's length)
    0%
    Dunadan (full blood Man of Gondor)
    0%
    High-Elf (muchkin!)
    0%
    Goblin-Man (a witty comment linking him to Kobold needed)
    0%
    Stone Troll (any mention of Half-Trolls should be forbidden on this family-friendly forum)
    0%
    Other
    0%
  • Anne
    Adept
    • Feb 2008

Now this should be an entertaining thread to read! I have to admit that I've only played Istari (Un) so far, so I'm having to pull from the Races help file to help me figure this out.

My first instinct was to put Wood-elf, because I'm better at ranged than at brute force - I'd wager I could hit a fleeing male with my trusty rolling pin at 40 paces. And my kids have always called me "spooky" because of my "infravision" - they can't figure out how I always know where they are and what they're up to when they're hiding in some other room.

The hubby, though, suggested dwarf or hobbit, because I'm very short. I must assert in my own defense, though, that no, I do NOT have a beard or hairy toes. Aside from the lack of hairy toes, I suppose hobbit would work. After all, I'm also intrinsically resistant to life draining from assorted mothers-in-law, telemarketers, and door-to-door bible-thumpers.

But your question wasn't really what we are now, but what we'd rather be for a year. I'd want to be Istari, definitely. They have the potential to be good at anything they want to try (very handy, that), AND they can reach things on the top shelves and on top of the refrigerator, which I have to get my tall sons to do for me in my current form.

Comment

• will_asher
      DaJAngband Maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Too tough, I'd want to try out each of them for a month or two each and see which one I liked best. hmm, I guess I've narrowed it down to hobbit or kobold (but not goblin-man, kobold and goblin-man are not the same thing).

Edit: okay, I chose kobold. they're stealthy and wild and I imagine they have very little responsibilities other than surviving. A shadow fairy also fits this description, but shadow fairies are evil, I'm not evil. ..ugh, ok kobolds are considered evil in Angband, but I imagine them more neutral and not really evil.

high-elf would probably be the farthest thing from my personality.
      Last edited by will_asher; March 7, 2008, 00:30.
      Will_Asher
      aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
      http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Dunno, sometimes it's hard to decide between being a Troll and being a Lurker.

Comment

• rawuest
          Rookie
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
          Suppose you could change your race now, for a year. What race would you feel best being? What race would you find most thrilling to try? What race would benefit you most in your daily challenges or enable you to start a new exciting life?

Edit: Oh my, how am I supposed to fit all races in 10 choices? :<

Edit2: Well, eventually, I've only listed basic V races, under Un names (a wonderful variant, that one!), collating the ones that are related in V or Un or between them. Please explain your racial cravings and detail 'Other' options.

Edit3: Multiple choice, in case you can't decide. Public poll, so all you lurking Half-Orcs, beware or come out!

Edit4: Actually, how do I edit poll options?

a dwarf... usally my first choice when I actually played D&D or any game that lets you pick a race... I look like a dwarf never clean shaven, short, and round

they sound like the race that can get the most work done and still have plenty of time to play or drink or whatever your vice is

Oh, and when a dwarf decides he gonna stand his ground almost nothing is gonna move him and anything that tries is in for a good fight

now the intrinsics this game gives them, poor stealth most definitely, resist blindness? in all honesty its supposed to be poison, the sturdiness or constition is overlooked in the game because of the addition of Half-Trolls

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Elf for the immortality - and the ingenuity to get around the one year limitation...
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• pav
              Administrator
              • Apr 2007

Funny thread, indeed. I want to be an elf. And I want to be good at playing music, too! Bedazzling the ladies with my top of the line archery skills. Falling in love and dying of sorrow. Hmm ...
              See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Narvius
                Knight
                • Dec 2007

Elf! Elves live forever. That could be a little boring, though...
                If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Narvius
                  Elf! Elves live forever. That could be a little boring, though...
                  ... but beats the alternative.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Narvius
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2007

Yeah, right.
                    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Anne
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by pav
                      I want to be an elf. And I want to be good at playing music, too! Bedazzling the ladies with my top of the line archery skills. Falling in love and dying of sorrow.
                      Girls really dig those pointy ears, too, you know. Gets them all melty.

I can just see it now.
                      "Hey, baby, wanna see my arrow?"

Comment

• Whelk
                        Adept
                        • Jun 2007

I believe a hobbit would be most fitting for me. I enjoy the simple pleasures of life (food, music, socializing with family and friends) and tend to be a pretty practical person. I enjoy the natural world and wouldn't mind spending many days sitting next to the fire reading a good book. That all seems pretty hobbit-esque to me.

Oh, I also have hairy toes. I'm 6'1, though ... hmm ... I could blame that on ent-draughts.

Oh, and for all the peple who pick elves to live forever ... wouldn't that get terribly boring after a while? Personally, I'm incredibly curious about what happens after death. Even if it meant the end of me completely, at that point I'd be dead anyway and so wouldn't care that it was all over, so no biggie.

Comment

• pav
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Whelk
                          Oh, and for all the peple who pick elves to live forever ... wouldn't that get terribly boring after a while?
                          Well I don't want to get into a philosophical debate here, but it would certainly give me a chance to reach perfection in at least one field that matters (that is, playing Angband).
                          See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Seany C
                            Swordsman
                            • Apr 2007

Being a Dunadan would suit me fine (although I'm more tempted by the northern Ranger-y end of things, personally) - an extra 30-60 years of lifespan plus a soupcon of Elvishness for most of them.
                            In addition to that, my genealogist parents would have a field day with c. 6,000 years of recorded ancestry...

Comment

• Arendil
                              Apprentice
                              • Jun 2007

Who said I'm human?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍