Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyperactive
    Rookie
    • Jul 2013

Actually, I am interested in dos ascii but would love the ability to turn sound effects on too.

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hyperactive
      Please if you can, I would be really grateful if someone could get the source code and compile a dos version using djgpp, there are no real limits when you use djgpp and cwsdpmi etc.
      In the past we had another blind user who used the Windows console mode for this, which is why that's what I offered to do again, but if it's not useful then I won't. The last DOS port release for Vanilla was 8 years ago and the code has changed a lot since then. I'm afraid my priority is to get the 3.5 release out in the next couple of months and that will be using up all my Angband coding time - but if anyone else is interested in resurrecting it and can get it working, then I'll include it.
      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
        In the past we had another blind user who used the Windows console mode for this, which is why that's what I offered to do again, but if it's not useful then I won't. The last DOS port release for Vanilla was 8 years ago and the code has changed a lot since then. I'm afraid my priority is to get the 3.5 release out in the next couple of months and that will be using up all my Angband coding time - but if anyone else is interested in resurrecting it and can get it working, then I'll include it.
        I could try console for nostalgia reasons. I think only real extra term window I would miss is info on visible monsters (no off-screen surprises). I don't play with large main screen anyway, it feels like cheating to see that much dungeon at once.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

What is the most recent version you have been playing with dos?
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by eMeM
            It would be nice to see proper native W32 full screen ASCII or Dos ASCII coming back. I don't understand why it was scratched in first place (maybe because all developers are linux guys). I dig every thread about this and I was searching for it on other forums as well. I remember that I wasn't impressed with pdcurses version. It was like playing in emulator, very very slow.
            The GCU version has a major bug. See this thread:

I've tried using ncurses and it has the same bug. After a discussion with the ncurses maintainer, it appears that the bug isn't in ncurses (or pdcurses), but in the Win console api. Good luck fixing that...
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• eMeM
              Apprentice
              • Oct 2012

3.0.6 last version with DOS exec
              3.0.9 last version with W32 console edition exec (so it is possible)

Another question is would it work with Win7 or Win8. I use old XP.

Comment

• hyperactive
                Rookie
                • Jul 2013

Hi.
                I'm using windows xp sp3.
                The speech hardware I use for dos programs is a special device that plugs into a serial port.
                How much work is it to convert angband to a dos program using djgpp?
                I was thinking of downloading the source and trying to do it myself but from the sounds of it, it isn't easy.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Hi.
                  If you use XP how do you access DOS? Dosbox? Separate boot partition (not sure if modern hardware could be even recognized by DOS? Different machine altogether?

Comment

• takkaria
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2007

Hi.
                    The speech hardware I use for dos programs is a special device that plugs into a serial port.
                    How much work is it to convert angband to a dos program using djgpp?
                    I was thinking of downloading the source and trying to do it myself but from the sounds of it, it isn't easy.
                    I reckon it would take an experienced programmer at least a few days, maybe more. You'd have to either write a new set of display routines or import the old DOS port from 3.0.6, updating it to account for all the changes in the code.

Can I just check, what was the last version you played? Was it 3.0.6?
                    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• eMeM
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 2012

Windows XP has NTVDM (Virtual DOS Machine). It's very fast just like seperate DOS installation. It runs automatically when DOS program is executed. I remember 3.0.6 Borg was faster in NTVDM than in Windows version. DosBox is much slower.

As much as I would like to see another console version I think there might be other and better ways to help blind players enjoy Angband in Windows graphic enviroment.

Comment

• hyperactive
                        Rookie
                        • Jul 2013

Yes, it was 3.0.6.
                        Cheers.

Comment

• BenCollver
                          Rookie
                          • Jun 2010

Here are links to Angband 3.4.1 and Angband 4.2.0 for DOS built using DJGPP and the "IBM" display code adapted from version 3.0.6.

Version 3.4.1 is significantly faster on older machines.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BenCollver
                            Here are links to Angband 3.4.1 and Angband 4.2.0 for DOS built using DJGPP and the "IBM" display code adapted from version 3.0.6.

Version 3.4.1 is significantly faster on older machines.

https://archive.org/details/ang420
                            Nicely done
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎