• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaviddesJ
    Swordsman
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zyphyr
    You said exactly that...
    I don't want to belabor the point and I hope we could move on, but it's really very different. "Really can't stand pressing 's' to search for doors" is a lot different from "if you like using the search mode", and "maybe this game isn't for them" is a lot different from "you should stop playing the game."

Comment

• MattB
      Veteran
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DaviddesJ
      By "historical reasons" I only meant that the shift-S for toggling "search mode" dates back to the original Rogue command set. I would assume that Michael Toy or Glenn Arnold came up with the notion of secret doors that you need to search for, the "s" command to spend a turn searching, and shift-S to toggle search mode (which worked exactly the same in the original Rogue, one extra turn of searching for every step you take). Then many subsequent games, including Moria (which led to uMoria, which led to Angband) adopted many of the commands from the original game. In Rogue, there was no chance of finding a secret door except by searching, so it's different from Angband where you have some chance to find the door just when moving, and an increased chance when searching.
      Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎