Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Your numbers seem fine to me. This is doubtless one of those things that will require tweaking once playtesting is underway, in any case.

Regarding archery, I admit I don't feel especially strongly on exactly what numbers determine what. For gameplay's sake, though, I kind of want to deprecate multiple shots/round or at least downplay its importance. Carrying and retrieving lots of ammo isn't especially fun. Also, the "bullet time effect" you get when shooting only takes 50 or 33 energy gives the player lots of opportunities to interrupt combat to heal/escape.

So while there's some elegance in having archery use the same rules as melee (whether or not stats are flipped), I'd rather move towards a system in which 1 turn = 1 shot, and we have whatever stats we need for that to scale sensibly. If you have any particular insight on how that could work, feel free to suggest something.

FWIW I tend to think of missile velocity as being the main determinant for damage (since you must punch through the target's armor) except when you get a critical hit, because that's when you hit the target's small squishy bits.

On an unrelated note, it occurs to me that creatures should perhaps have their own accuracy scores, perhaps even on a per-blow basis.

Also, my word we've sure gotten off-topic, haven't we?

Comment

• Tregonsee
      Adept
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Magnate
      Let me clarify. In Pyrel (and in v4):
      What is Pyrel, and how soon is v4 coming out?

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Pyrel is a ground-up rewrite of Angband in Python. It's showing significant promise, but it's still very much in-progress (i.e. not really playable yet), mostly because the contributors aren't, well, contributing. That includes myself.

v4 is playable, though I can't remember where you can download it from. It's basically the variant where the Vanilla devteam stuck all their more disruptive changes to the game. Things like labyrinth and cavern levels started there, for example, as did Magnates affix-based items, rune-based ID, the finesse/prowess combat system (that Pyrel has also stolen), etc.

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
          Pyrel is a ground-up rewrite of Angband in Python. It's showing significant promise, but it's still very much in-progress (i.e. not really playable yet), mostly because the contributors aren't, well, contributing. That includes myself.
          I'm looking forward to post-January when I can regain my free time back, and actually start working on stuff like this again.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎