X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OOD Town drunk
    Adept
    • Feb 2013

Auto-Inscription Dumping

Is there a way to dump your Auto-Inscriptions? Such as you can do with your user-defined keymaps and settings?

(Also: Is it preferred that one starts a new thread, like this, with a simple question, like this? Or is there usually a thread already written that one should just add to? This is the first internet forum I have ever used for more than a quick browsing, so yes I am noobcity covered in noobsauce. At least as far as forums and threads are concerned...)
  • fph
    Veteran
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by OOD Town drunk
    This is the first internet forum I have ever used for more than a quick browsing, so yes I am noobcity covered in noobsauce.
    They work a bit like Angband, except that trolls are more dangerous than necromancers.
    --
    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Is there a way to dump your Auto-Inscriptions? Such as you can do with your user-defined keymaps and settings?

(Also: Is it preferred that one starts a new thread, like this, with a simple question, like this? Or is there usually a thread already written that one should just add to?
      Create a new thread is fine, or create a separate thread of your own for "noob questions".

This question is good. The "customizing" help file has no instructions on how to create a preference dump file for object inscription. From the code for dump_objects, it looks like the answer is no, you can't. This is a good feature to add.

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
        Adept
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        create a separate thread of your own for "noob questions".
        That sounds like the perfect solution! Although, I wouldn't necessarily consider my questions noobian. I have been playing Angband since about 1999, although much more intensely as of late. It is forums in general that I am new to. (Now I sound like a defensive sophomore who has been playing a little while and thinks he knows everything hehe)

This question is good. The "customizing" help file has no instructions on how to create a preference dump file for object inscription. From the code for dump_objects, it looks like the answer is no, you can't. This is a good feature to add.
        That would be phenomenal. I am competing in the current competition, and I am fairly certain that 3.5 has a sharper difficulty curve, (or I am just sucking really bad today..) because I haven't made it passed dlvl 5, about 6 times now, and reinscribing all of the books and scrolls and such isn't too tedious this early, but it is starting to frustrate me a little bit which of course, is half the fun, but reinscribing is just redundant.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

That would be phenomenal. I am competing in the current competition, and I am fairly certain that 3.5 has a sharper difficulty curve, (or I am just sucking really bad today..) because I haven't made it passed dlvl 5, about 6 times now, and reinscribing all of the books and scrolls and such isn't too tedious this early, but it is starting to frustrate me a little bit
          OK, partial solution for that:
          1. Visit Temple and Alchemist for basic ID.
          2. use knowledge menu to set up inscriptions.
          3. Create new save file as basic start file. (In fact, I would create a save file that is from right when you are prepared to go down stairs.)

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

OK, partial solution for that:
            1. Visit Temple and Alchemist for basic ID.
            2. use knowledge menu to set up inscriptions.
            3. Create new save file as basic start file. (In fact, I would create a save file that is from right when you are prepared to go down stairs.)
            It is funny that you say that. I set up a pre-dungeon save file about 15 minutes ago. I used to have a bad save-scumming habit and so I usually try to forget that the save files are manipulable.
            oh and I do use the knowledge menu for inscriptions. I watched fizzix's rogue let's play and learned quite a few little tricks like that. I would suggest watching to anyone who has about 15 hours to spare and wants to learn Angband from a pro!
            Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Actually, you don't even need to visit the temple first. Just look at the temple inventory in '~', then go back to object knowledge and priest books are there.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
                Adept
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Nick
                Actually, you don't even need to visit the temple first. Just look at the temple inventory in '~', then go back to object knowledge and priest books are there.
                You guys are too funny. I just discovered that about an hour ago. I am now able to have all of my basic squelches (food, mage books) before even using a turn.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

It is funny that you say that. I set up a pre-dungeon save file about 15 minutes ago. I used to have a bad save-scumming habit and so I usually try to forget that the save files are manipulable.
                  oh and I do use the knowledge menu for inscriptions. I watched fizzix's rogue let's play and learned quite a few little tricks like that. I would suggest watching to anyone who has about 15 hours to spare and wants to learn Angband from a pro!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFE88dxPZAA
                  Interesting link.
                  A few points: when in doubt, take the down stairs. (If I was surrounded by a lot of mice while sitting on the stairs, I would always go down immediately.)

Also: use the default lighting options. And center player makes me seasick.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎