X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

I'm a Linux noob, need help

Just downloaded ubuntu Linux for first time I like it, but don't understand what I need to do to compile angband, do I need a compilier program? And if so which is best for ubuntu Linux? Could somebody walk me through what I need to do and how to compile angband, don't understand how to open a command line either.
  • Mikko Lehtinen
    Veteran
    • Sep 2010

You don't necessarily need to compile Angband, it's available from the Ubuntu repositories. The package name is simply angband.

The easiest way to install is probably Ubuntu Software Center. I haven't used it, but I googled up this help page:
    The basic rundown of different ways to install software in Ubuntu

Comment

• Blougram
      Rookie
      • Jan 2012

The version available in the Software Center is rather old (don't remember the number). If you want 3.3.2 or later you will need to compile it. But don't worry, I'm a Linux-noob as well, and it's not difficult - at least if you're happy playing in ascii mode. I followed the instructions on:

1. Download and extract the source code.
      2. Open the terminal, move to the directory with the source and type:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install autoconf gcc libc6-dev libncurses5-dev
      ./configure --prefix=$HOME
      make
      make install
      At least I think that's what I did. Perhaps a more seasoned Linux/Unix person could correct me.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Both answers so far are good; you may need some more info, though.

Which type of Linux is it? If it it Ubuntu (or Debian), then the apt-get instructions are right; if it's another one (Fedora or OpenSUSE, for example), you will need to use yum (so yum install gcc, etc).

If you want to use the SDL port (and I recommend it), you will need these packages (I think this is the full list):
        Code:
        SDL SDL_mixer SDL_ttf SDL_image
        If you're really stuck, install Wine, and run the windows version

Good luck, and ask if you have any problems. It does take a bit of getting used to.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
          Knight
          • May 2007

So i found 3.3.2 on the ubunto software center, and installed the sdl version, it also installed the gtk, and x11 versions as well for some reason.
          Now my big question is I can only find angband in the system folder in usr/angband and it only has the pref file and edit files, where in the world is the save folder/user folder?

Also is there anyway of deleting apps, I can't seem to, wanted to get rid of the gtk and x11 port.

Comment

• bron
            Knight
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
            Just downloaded ubuntu Linux for first time I like it, but don't understand what I need to do to compile angband, do I need a compilier program? And if so which is best for ubuntu Linux? Could somebody walk me through what I need to do and how to compile angband, don't understand how to open a command line either.
            I've done this successfully on my Ubuntu machine at home. Unfortunately, I'm at work, not home, at the moment. I'll try to post a better reply later tonight.

I use the curses version, not X11, so I can't help with X. But for curses, you'll need the gcc compiler, which should already come installed by default, and the "wcurses" package, which is NOT installed by default. Be sure you get the "wcurses" package, which has utf8 support (angband now requires this), and not the plain "curses" package, which does not. I think version 5 (or is it 5.5?) is the most recent. You also want to use the "dev" version of the package ("development", which means it comes with the header files you need in order to compile).

Once you get the packages installed, it is a simple matter to compile the code; the "config" and "make" parts performed great for me. Getting the right package(s) installed can be tough though.

As for opening a commandline: there is probably a simple way that is unknown to me, but the first time I had to open the applications GUI and have it search for "terminal", which showed a "term" (or maybe "xterm") application which could then be launched. Once you finally find this however, you can click-n-drag the icon into the left sidebar/dashboard area and thenceforth launch a commandline window by clicking on that. The first time is a PITA however.

As I say; I'll try to give a more exacting answer tonight when I actually have my Ubuntu machine in front of me.

Comment

• bron
              Knight
              • May 2008

where in the world is the save folder/user folder?
              Try looking in your home directory:
              ~/.angband/Angband/save

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

Originally posted by bron
                Try looking in your home directory:
                ~/.angband/Angband/save
                was able to find the savefile in the gtk port, the gtk port seems easiest to use, and when I click on file open, inside angband, the character chardump seems to be there as well.

I was able to make a bookmark to angband/save on my desktop so I can get there quickly, however the character dump only displays when I try to open a savefile on the gtk port inside angband, guess I can drag a copy to the desktop for ladder purposes no?

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

was able to find the savefile in the gtk port, the gtk port seems easiest to use, and when I click on file open, inside angband, the character chardump seems to be there as well.

I was able to make a bookmark to angband/save on my desktop so I can get there quickly, however the character dump only displays when I try to open a savefile on the gtk port inside angband, guess I can drag a copy to the desktop for ladder purposes no?
                  It sounds like you aren't familiar with unix's way of doing hidden directories/folders. On unices, any name that starts with a dot is hidden. So if your username is malak, typing

ls /home/malak

will not show you /home/malak/.angband/

The .angband folder is the personal folder for Angband (and all variants, which use their own subdirs). So /home/malak/.angband/Angband is where all your chardumps get saved to, and /home/malak/.angband/Angband/save is where all your savefiles go.

Yes, you can put a shortcut to /home/malak/.angband/Angband onto your desktop - just create the shortcut and type that path into it.

Sorry to come to this thread late - do you still want help identifying the build deps, or is everything ok now?
                  "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Note that you can use "ls -a" to show hidden directories.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                      Knight
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                      Note that you can use "ls -a" to show hidden directories.
                      So I guess all this is typed into the terminal command line?
                      When compiling and opening the terminal how do you move to the source?

Comment

• bron
                        Knight
                        • May 2008

So I guess all this is typed into the terminal command line?
                        When compiling and opening the terminal how do you move to the source?
                        Umm .. ok. You said you were a Linux noob, but I didn't realize it cut that deep. No offense, but if you're not already familiar with the "cd" (Change Directories) command, then I don't think you have enough Linux familiarity yet, and I wouldn't recommend trying to compile and build the source without more background. I guess I'd recommend going through a tutorial; maybe try googling "linux basics tutorial"?

Anyway, to answer to older questions: to bring up a command line window the first time, click on the "Ubuntu Software Center" icon on the left toolbar, and when it comes up, have it search for "terminal". You'll get a number of choices, and double clicking on a choice should bring up a terminal window. Once you find one you like, you should be able to drag the icon into the left toolbar so you won't have to search for it in the future.

Hope this helps ...

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                          Knight
                          • May 2007

Yes and thanks everybody for posting their help, this is a wonderful forum. I do have some dos experience, with command line working, and I am learning more each day, I really just discovered Linux, all my experience is dos and windows, but I am really excited about it. Learning is half the fun, I doubt I will buy another Microsoft is after this. On a side note, I like the looks of debian and might try that, ubuntu unity desktop seems kind of klunky to me. But I am able to currently play angband through the download center, does debian have the same packages? Many thanks guys.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

You can install alternative desktops on Ubuntu. You'll be able to log into them through the login manager, same as for the default Unity desktop.

(I personally recommend Xfce, it's lighter than Unity and behaves more like Windows.)

Anyway enjoy your Linux experience... Just be warned that this OS is hugely complex, and learning it can eat inordinate amounts of free time.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                              Knight
                              • May 2007

I just discovered Zorin 06, seemed to be very nice with a windows like interface, anybody tried this.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎