X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

Announcement: Angband 3.4.0 release

The Angband Dev-team is pleased to announce the release of 3.4.0 The new version can be downloaded from Rephial. (If you still see 3.3.2, you may need to refresh your browser.) The source can also be downloaded directly from the github release page.

Here are some of the most notable gameplay changes in the new version.
    • A new 64x64 tile set (by Shockbolt)
    • Many new monster pits and nests
    • Fuzzy detection
    • Upgrade to UTF-8
    • Angels have been replaced with Ainu
    • Removal of all weakly cursed items
    • Torches are radius 1 light
    • Changes to how monster summoning is handled
    • Deep descent scrolls now transport a character 5 levels deeper with a delay
    • Various tweaks to prices, monsters, allocation probabilities

A more detailed description of these changes can be accessed from the in-game help menus lib/help/340.txt, or can be viewed at the github repository. The full list of changes, including numerous bugfixes is far too long to include in this post, but can be found in the changes.txt file in the main directory, or can also be viewed at github.

We really hope you enjoy this latest version. While we have done our best to ensure that this version is free of major bugs, sometimes bugs have eluded us in the past. So please post any bugs you find in this thread.

Happy banding from the Angband 3.4 dev-team:

Aerdan, blubaron, buzzkill, CunningGabe, david3x3x3, Derakon, d_m, elly, fizzix magnate, myshkin, Nick, noz, Shockbolt, and takkaria
    Last edited by fizzix; October 23, 2012, 03:42.
  • Shockbolt
    Knight
    • Jan 2011

Congratz on a job well done programmers and everyone else!
    http://www.rpgartkits.com/
    Fantasy art kits for personal and commercial use. Commercial use requires a Developer license, also available through my website.

Comment

• getter77
      Adept
      • Dec 2009

Fantastic....especially looking forward to the new tileset!

Comment

• dos350
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

great job on release,

no abuse my apprentices~~~~

thank you all for your hard work

please always remember wat angband is and treat changes like the plague

honest opinion of a true player and devotee of angband

edit:

WOW 15 MB
        ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Congrats to fizzix on herding all the cats in the right direction. There will be a comp soon.

I just want to echo (I think) Magnate's comment elsewhere - I've always been an ascii player, but if Shockbolt's tiles had been around when I started, maybe not. They are just beautiful, and (more importantly) clear (27" screen helps).
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Quendus
            Scout
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
            Congrats to fizzix on herding all the cats in the right direction. There will be a comp soon.

I just want to echo (I think) Magnate's comment elsewhere - I've always been an ascii player, but if Shockbolt's tiles had been around when I started, maybe not. They are just beautiful, and (more importantly) clear (27" screen helps).
            If I had a *27* inch laptop I would definitely give serious consideration to tiles.

Also, this release was lucky enough to happen more or less during the Annual Roguelike Release Party: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme....php/2012_ARRP

Comment

• Zappa
              Apprentice
              • Feb 2008

Thanks for the new release. I'm trying it out now.

I notice that there is a lot more stuff laying on the ground so far. I think I ID'ed a ?Light and before I knew it I had 16 of them on hand.

Comment

• donalde
                Apprentice
                • Jun 2007

what I have meesed up?

ok, I downloaded new version for windows. I extracted it to c:\temp\ and then copied files to another disk where I have angband, no problem on there. I try to open my 3.3.2 char, randart hT Mage, I get: Error ; Bad call which_pval is 67, kidx is 555. Do I need to start new char? No problem starting new, that char is like level 10, but I thought I report this as it might render some1's clvl 50 char useless...

Comment

• fizzix
                  Prophet
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by donalde
                  ok, I downloaded new version for windows. I extracted it to c:\temp\ and then copied files to another disk where I have angband, no problem on there. I try to open my 3.3.2 char, randart hT Mage, I get: Error ; Bad call which_pval is 67, kidx is 555. Do I need to start new char? No problem starting new, that char is like level 10, but I thought I report this as it might render some1's clvl 50 char useless...
                  It's always a good idea to start a new character with a new version. If you don't want to lose your monster memory, you can suicide that character and copy over the savefile of the dead character. This *should* work.

Zappa: Floor drops have been increased to 3.0.6 levels. This might seem like a lot, but really it means on average 3 more floor drops per level. In my test-playing I found these three drops made a big difference between the feeling of empty levels and ones that a reasonable amount of loot. Monster drops have not been increased. Overall, weapon drops are less powerful, and artifact drops are about 25% less frequent.

Comment

• joelsanda
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 2007

Mouse movement in Mac?

Angband 3.4.0 doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks - anyone else seeing this? I created a new character and blew away prefs in old /Library/ folder - 10.8.1. Checked preferences - it was selected by default. So I turned it off and restarted and then enabled again and restarted and still no response to mouse clicks.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Comment

• Duskfire
                      Rookie
                      • Sep 2012

This is awesome! Congratulations to the team. I've been learning how to play little by little and had just finished a short blog article about commands when I learned of the new version. Looking forward to playing it.
                      (I also posted the news to Reddit.)

Comment

• satori
                        Rookie
                        • Sep 2012

Great job on the update! I have noticed one thing so far, though - identical arrows no longer stack. For example, if I buy 40 arrows from the shop, quiver them (or even leave them in the inventory), then come back and buy 40 more arrows, I have two slots for 40 arrows each. At the moment, I have quivered two stacks of 40 arrows and one of 4, all of which are (0,0). Is this a bug or a feature? Thanks! I'm not seeing the problem with potions or scrolls, and I haven't been using shots/pebbles so I can't speak for them, by the way.

Comment

• fizzix
                          Prophet
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by satori
                          Great job on the update! I have noticed one thing so far, though - identical arrows no longer stack. For example, if I buy 40 arrows from the shop, quiver them (or even leave them in the inventory), then come back and buy 40 more arrows, I have two slots for 40 arrows each. At the moment, I have quivered two stacks of 40 arrows and one of 4, all of which are (0,0). Is this a bug or a feature? Thanks! I'm not seeing the problem with potions or scrolls, and I haven't been using shots/pebbles so I can't speak for them, by the way.
                          This is a feature! The max stack size is now 40. Honestly, this should have been a top level item in the change list, I can't believe I forgot to mention it!

If you get multiple different types of ammo, but the sum total of all is less than 40, then everything will stack in one quiver slot.

Comment

• myshkin
                            Angband Devteam member
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by joelsanda
                            Angband 3.4.0 doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks - anyone else seeing this? I created a new character and blew away prefs in old /Library/ folder - 10.8.1. Checked preferences - it was selected by default. So I turned it off and restarted and then enabled again and restarted and still no response to mouse clicks.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
                            No, you're not doing anything wrong, and thank you for the report. Unfortunately, the new Cocoa port lacks support for detecting mouse clicks (at least for the purpose of movement), and I completely forgot to test for it. I've created ticket #1678 for this issue, and hope to get to it for 3.4.1. If you really need movement by mouse, it should still work in the Carbon port, if you can still build that for 10.8.x.

Pull requests are welcome, of course, should some enterprising person beat me to the implementation.

Comment

• joelsanda
                              Apprentice
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by myshkin
                              Unfortunately, the new Cocoa port lacks support for detecting mouse clicks (at least for the purpose of movement), and I completely forgot to test for it. I've created ticket #1678 for this issue, and hope to get to it for 3.4.1. If you really need movement by mouse, it should still work in the Carbon port, if you can still build that for 10.8.x.
                              Thanks, myshkin - I'll keep my eyes peeled for 3.4.1.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎