X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Squelching unknown flavors...

This is allowed by the squelch menu... but why would you squelch unknown flavors?
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
  • Patashu
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

What if you have metagame knowledge and know that all the unknown flavours are ones you don't care about, so you squelch them all? Or you might have figured out what a flavour is through use-iding (in a variant where use-iding doesn't happen all the time) or other circumstancial information.
    My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
      This is allowed by the squelch menu... but why would you squelch unknown flavors?
      When the player has identified something but the character hasn't. For example, you read an unidentified scroll, then take a step into a grid you've been in before and hit a trap. The player knows that this is Trap Creation, but the squelch system doesn't.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
        When the player has identified something but the character hasn't. For example, you read an unidentified scroll, then take a step into a grid you've been in before and hit a trap. The player knows that this is Trap Creation, but the squelch system doesn't.
        Actually this was fixed a while ago - trap creation is now ID'd on reading. But your general point is valid.

This was a major bugbear of Eddie's when he was a big influence on V development (circa 2009) - he wanted to be able to squelch stuff he didn't find useful, even if he didn't know what it was. Usual examples are things like slow/neutralise poison - if you're not poisoned they don't ID, but if you tried while confused or wounded then you know they're not healing of any sort so you decide to squelch them.

Personally I'd be happy to see the functionality removed - it wouldn't matter in most cases and would remove a clutch of nasty obscure bugs. But I don't feel very strongly either way.
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

I squelch unknown flavors all the time. I don't even bother trying to ID things like staves/rods of curing, I just squelch immediately if they don't heal HP or have a monster effect. Potions are also commonly squelched.

Honeslty, I think all one use consumables (scrolls, mushrooms, potions) should be ID'd on use regardless of noticed effect. It should be equivalent to selling them to towns. Multiple use consumables or rods are different and trickier. I guess the system we have now is good enough for them, although it does make for some annoyance.

I would like to be able to auto-inscribe unknown flavors, so that I can squelch the potion and autoinscribe it with {curing} or whatnot, so I remembered why I squelched it. It doesn't make too much of a difference though.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎