X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runequester
    Apprentice
    • Mar 2012

So why Angband for you?

What makes you stick with Angband ? What features do you feel makes it stand out in the crowd of roguelikes?
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

my reasons....

1. I loved Moria growing up.

2. Random generated dungeons, only ends if you *want* it to.

3. very easy to use interface, if you think about it you have a lot of freedom to pick actions while playing the game, your not very limited in what you can do.

4.It's challenging, and I love high fantasy, and Tolkeins world, and I just love all the little artifacts and randarts out there

5. You don't need a super expensive computer to play, ideally can play well on laptop while watching T.V. That's how I roll

6. Where else can you fight Ancient Multi-Huied Dragons and take on the Balrog of Moria? Angband adds as much to gameplay as it does to imagination, you play the roll of the hero on his journey to defeat the world of evil, and how games out their can say they allow you to pick many different race/class combinations? The game has infinte replayability. Get tired playing a warrior? Try a mage, or a priest or a rogue, or ranger/paladin, this is what makes the game fun.

7. I just love the original and that is V, I love the interface, and it's well polished.

Comment

• aeneas
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by runequester
      What makes you stick with Angband ? What features do you feel makes it stand out in the crowd of roguelikes?
      I haven't stuck with Angband, despite the fact that I was one of the more serious players at one point. Angband's glory days are over. When I play it I play either 3.0.6 or earlier or a patch Eddie Grove made around that time that I like a lot.

Angband was a great game for a long time partially because it had a great Usenet community, and partially because it had great maintainers. I remember being told that "the forum won't hurt the Usenet community at all." I knew better, I told you so, and I was right.

Angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, Andrew and Pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing I can't bear to look at.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

It doesn't make me freaking play Sokoban every time I start a new character :P
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by aeneas
          I haven't stuck with Angband, despite the fact that I was one of the more serious players at one point. Angband's glory days are over. When I play it I play either 3.0.6 or earlier or a patch Eddie Grove made around that time that I like a lot.

Angband was a great game for a long time partially because it had a great Usenet community, and partially because it had great maintainers. I remember being told that "the forum won't hurt the Usenet community at all." I knew better, I told you so, and I was right.

Angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, Andrew and Pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing I can't bear to look at.
          cool story bro, welcome to the passage of time
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

I think this shitty little game can do without shitty little attitudes like that. You don't like the game, fine, you aren't obligated to. But either help improve it or at the very least have a more constructive attitude. Or shut up and go play your special version of the game in peace. Those seem to be the three reasonable options.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
              Knight
              • May 2007

That's some quick thinkng shitty little wittery Derakon! LOL!!!!!!

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

That is your choice, and your right.

I agree that Angband had a great Usenet community. The problem with maintaining Usenet as the primary forum for discussion is that (even by the time the oook forums started) it was becoming increasingly obscure and difficult to use. IMHO (see! Usenet idiom lives!) moving to a web forum was done at just about the right time. Remaining on Usenet would have ensured the mummification of the game and community - looks good, but is dead. I'd prefer messy life.

This is an unworthy and childish paragraph, and I thought better of you. I note the minor point that Pavel is incorrect - look it up.

I think you owe the community, the devteam, and especially Andi and Pav an apology.
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Missing the flame wars badly, do you? ^^
                  My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Therem Harth
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

I'm still not sure if that was an angry outburst or just a troll.

Personally I think Vanilla is much better than it's been historically; the game is more accessible and the cross-platform interface is nicer to use. I am a bit saddened by the mass die-off of variants and their communities though.

(Mind, I suspect that part of that die-off may have been failure to adopt good cross-platform interfaces early on, resulting in maintainability issues... IOW I think V is going in the right direction now, laying the groundwork for future variants that won't die off so fast. But don't mind me, I'm not a programmer.)

Comment

• Djabanete
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

I've been taking a break from playing roguelikes, but I like Oook's community and I like seeing how people's characters and projects are going. After playing *bands for a long time, I find the 100-level versions (and especially the wilderness versions) cumbersome, and I find myself interested in projects like Sil and Ironband. But I also enjoy having a very wide variety of monsters and items, which has kept me interested in Chengband. At the moment I'm not satisfied by any specific roguelikes, but I've always liked the genre and I find myself mulling over what my "ideal" roguelike would be.

<flames>
                      So? Play whatever version you want. And if you don't like the forums, don't post.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2008

As for what keeps me coming back to Angband...

I think it's mostly replay value. I do enjoy some games that focus on plot, but they eventually get boring. By ditching the story and focusing entirely on gameplay, Angband removes that problem. The experience is not the same as a game with a really good plot (of which I can name very few, BTW). But in Angband, you can play a game, die, take a break for a while... And then come back and play again, and it will be completely different.

Why Angband over other roguelikes?

Hard to say. It might mostly be a case of "Angband got there first so it's what I'm used to." OTOH, there's also the issue of keybindings; e.g. Nethack, last I tried it, required you to edit the keybindings manually if you didn't want the default set (complete with hjkl movement). Major pain in the neck, that. Also the build system was seriously unfriendly.

Comment

• takkaria
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2007

angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, andrew and pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing i can't bear to look at.

:/

takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Estie
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Therem Harth
                            As for what keeps me coming back to Angband...

I think it's mostly replay value. I do enjoy some games that focus on plot, but they eventually get boring. By ditching the story and focusing entirely on gameplay, Angband removes that problem. The experience is not the same as a game with a really good plot (of which I can name very few, BTW). But in Angband, you can play a game, die, take a break for a while... And then come back and play again, and it will be completely different.

Why Angband over other roguelikes?

Hard to say. It might mostly be a case of "Angband got there first so it's what I'm used to." OTOH, there's also the issue of keybindings; e.g. Nethack, last I tried it, required you to edit the keybindings manually if you didn't want the default set (complete with hjkl movement). Major pain in the neck, that. Also the build system was seriously unfriendly.
                            +1

While I am an admirer of good stories, re-playing story based games gets boring soon. I wonder, maybe theres a similarity: good story/good graphic ?
                            When it comes to replay-value, random <monsters, dungeon, and for me, artifacts> wins.

Other games have discovered the replay value of of random monsters and items; but random dungeons are rare, maybe because its hard to do in an interesting way.

Comment

• runequester
                              Apprentice
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Estie
                              +1

While I am an admirer of good stories, re-playing story based games gets boring soon. I wonder, maybe theres a similarity: good story/good graphic ?
                              When it comes to replay-value, random <monsters, dungeon, and for me, artifacts> wins.

Other games have discovered the replay value of of random monsters and items; but random dungeons are rare, maybe because its hard to do in an interesting way.
                              I think you have to be willing to accept that sometimes it won't be fair, and sometimes it won't make sense. In the end, it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎