X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Is this just really bad luck?

I'm currently playing a Dwarf Priest in Vanilla 3.2.0. Level 30ish (at dungeon level 41), and I've yet to find a single +speed item (other than the usual Rings of Teleportation and Escaping). No rings, no boots, nada. No artifacts at all either.

Since normal gameplay isn't enough, I've also crudely hacked generate.c to generate pits and vaults on every level. Even the vaults (well, the ones that I can take on at +0 speed) contain very few ego items, and not powerful ones. The best thing I've found so far is a Metal Cap of Telepathy - which is nice, but doesn't help me take on Uvatha the Horsemen when he makes an appearance.

Granted that I'm coming from T2, with artifacts falling out of traps and stuff, this seems a bit odd.

NB: I am playing with randarts on, maybe that has something to do with it?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

That's actually absolutely normal. You shouldn't be finding any speed items that early.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Therem Harth
      I'm currently playing a Dwarf Priest in Vanilla 3.2.0. Level 30ish (at dungeon level 41), and I've yet to find a single +speed item (other than the usual Rings of Teleportation and Escaping). No rings, no boots, nada. No artifacts at all either.

Since normal gameplay isn't enough, I've also crudely hacked generate.c to generate pits and vaults on every level. Even the vaults (well, the ones that I can take on at +0 speed) contain very few ego items, and not powerful ones. The best thing I've found so far is a Metal Cap of Telepathy - which is nice, but doesn't help me take on Uvatha the Horsemen when he makes an appearance.

Granted that I'm coming from T2, with artifacts falling out of traps and stuff, this seems a bit odd.

NB: I am playing with randarts on, maybe that has something to do with it?
      I had to use hit and run tactics for quite awhile until I finally started to find some good items. Really I just dove as quick as I could until I found speed rings and items.

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
        That's actually absolutely normal. You shouldn't be finding any speed items that early.
        Ah okay... And of course all the pits and stuff will make things harder if speed items are depth dependent. Thanks.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
          ...except those that temporarily haste you: potions of speed and staves of speed. If you haven't seen even those then there is something wrong. Otherwise, normal.

Comment

• Therem Harth
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

I hadn't found any temporary speed items either, actually...

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Therem Harth
              I hadn't found any temporary speed items either, actually...
              That is not normal. Potions of speed should be very common, and staves are relatively common.

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                That is not normal. Potions of speed should be very common, and staves are relatively common.
                Aren't potions only common early, then become harder to find? and I never found staffs to be 'relatively common' at 41, maybe 50's, 60's.
                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                  Aren't potions only common early, then become harder to find?
                  Yes, but not so rare that you don't find any at all. There should be some potions every now and then at any level in the dungeon. Only reason they get less common is that there are a lot more possible items at deeper levels than early levels, there is no change of the rarity of those potions (at least they used to be rather common).

Comment

• Magnate
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    Yes, but not so rare that you don't find any at all. There should be some potions every now and then at any level in the dungeon. Only reason they get less common is that there are a lot more possible items at deeper levels than early levels, there is no change of the rarity of those potions (at least they used to be rather common).
                    If you dive very quickly through the first ten or twenty dlevs, you can quite easily not find any. Then, as you say, they get a lot rarer because so many other things can drop. I have had whole games without !speed.
                    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• LostTemplar
                      Knight
                      • Aug 2009

I remember good old times, where first +speed item about dlvl 70 was "oh, nice, I got some luck".

Comment

• buzzkill
                        Prophet
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                        I remember good old times, where first +speed item about dlvl 70 was "oh, nice, I got some luck".
                        Yeah, and it was +4. The early mixed blessing speed rings are nice to have, fun to use, but I don't know how good they for the game. They would make more sense if a significant number of early monsters could move faster than normal (variable speed).

I remember when I never saw real speed items, just potions once in a while, and finding a staff of speed was like finding an artifact, and I'm not talking about the 1990's either, just a couple of years ago.
                        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• TJS
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by buzzkill
                          Yeah, and it was +4. The early mixed blessing speed rings are nice to have, fun to use, but I don't know how good they for the game. They would make more sense if a significant number of early monsters could move faster than normal (variable speed).

I remember when I never saw real speed items, just potions once in a while, and finding a staff of speed was like finding an artifact, and I'm not talking about the 1990's either, just a couple of years ago.
                          Is having a point in the game where the difficulty comes mostly from monsters moving much faster than you a good thing?

It just means that you have to stockpile guaranteed escapes and use them when you first detect a fast and dangerous monster, since they are too fast to be able to outwit tactically.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by TJS
                            Is having a point in the game where the difficulty comes mostly from monsters moving much faster than you a good thing?

It just means that you have to stockpile guaranteed escapes and use them when you first detect a fast and dangerous monster, since they are too fast to be able to outwit tactically.
                            Except with detection, ESP and stealth. You don't always need to fight or flight, you can also avoid.

That was actually quite fun now that I think of it. A bit like what I did with CrownGV when it was accidentally marked as LV. It usually contained monsters that I couldn't handle, so in order to get to the items I needed to lure them out. It was Fun. And dangerous.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                              Knight
                              • Aug 2009

Were wands of teleport away removed already ? In some rare situations, then monster have high range perception and can pass walls there is best choice to simply give up and switch level, but this also add some fun.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎