X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zambaku
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2007

Question about numbers.

I'm having a hard time with the numbers on the weapons and was hoping for some easy to understand answers, I've checked the manual but it made little sense to me.

I'm currently wielding the dagger "Nimthanc" (1d4) (+4,+6) - And I'm having my eyes on a Bastard Sword (3d4) (+3,+5)
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zambaku
    I'm currently wielding the dagger "Nimthanc" (1d4) (+4,+6) - And I'm having my eyes on a Bastard Sword (3d4) (+3,+5)
    1d4 means base damage is a random number between 1 and 4 (like rolling a 4-sided die), the +4 is a to-hit value (increases your chance of hitting) and the +6 is to-dam (adds onto your base damage). So with Nimthanc you will get between 7 and 10 damage per blow that hits; with the Bastard Sword (three 1d4 rolls) you will get between 3 and 12 (on average 7.5) plus 5 for an average damage of 12.5 per blow. You need to check how many blows you get with each weapon, too.

Note also that if one of your weapons happens to be cold branded () that damage is multiplied by 3 against monsters that don't resist cold.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Zambaku
      Apprentice
      • Dec 2007

Cheers mate. =)

Comment

• Mondkalb
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick

Note also that if one of your weapons happens to be cold branded () that damage is multiplied by 3 against monsters that don't resist cold.
        And it would also provide resistance to cold.
        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡