• Show
Clear All
  • AltF4
    Rookie
    • Oct 2010

Movement Delay Bug [3.3.1]

Version: Angband 3.3.1
    Bug:
    If movement delay is set to anything other than 0, I must double tap the directional keys to move straight, or I can move diagonally. If I set movement delay 0 I lose the ability to move diagonally but the weird double tap issue disappears.

I never played 3.3.0 so I can't say if the bug existed in it but it most definitely did not exist in 3.2.0

I searched the forums and I couldn't find anything on my exact problem. There were what seemed like similar issues but the suggested solution of setting movement delay to 0 is not much better than playing with the delay. Either I can't move diagonally or moving straight is a pain.

Current work around:
    I have made two keymaps one sets movement delay to 1 the other sets movement delay to 0.

Keymap for delay of 0:
    =i0[Enter][Escape]
    Keymap for delay of 1:
    =i1[Enter][Escape]
    Note: '=' is part of the keymap.
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

this is true on windows also.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
      this is true on windows also.
      This appears to say that movement is broken in every case: if delay != 0 then it's broken for cardinal directions, and if it is 0 it's broken for diagonal movement. Is that what you both mean? I can't reproduce that if so.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
        Prophet
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
        This appears to say that movement is broken in every case: if delay != 0 then it's broken for cardinal directions, and if it is 0 it's broken for diagonal movement. Is that what you both mean? I can't reproduce that if so.
        diagonal movements that are made with 2 keypresses, across and up.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
          diagonal movements that are made with 2 keypresses, across and up.
          Nope, still not with you. I move diagonally by pressing 1, 3, 7 or 9. You do it with two keys??
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nomad
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Nope, still not with you. I move diagonally by pressing 1, 3, 7 or 9. You do it with two keys??
            Using the actual arrow keys rather than the numpad, I assume. I use numpad diagonals too, but from what I gather, setting a movement delay allows the across and up key presses to register as simultaneous, producing a diagonal.

The bug seems to be that if you set a movement delay, @ doesn't move until the second keypress. So diagonals work because two key presses are registered, but cardinal directions require a double tap. I can reproduce this in 3.3.0.

Setting the movement delay to 0 avoids this "double-tap required" bug, but makes it impossible to move diagonally with the two key method, because the keys register as two separate moves one after the other instead of one simultaneous keypress.

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
              Using the actual arrow keys rather than the numpad, I assume. I use numpad diagonals too, but from what I gather, setting a movement delay allows the across and up key presses to register as simultaneous, producing a diagonal.

The bug seems to be that if you set a movement delay, @ doesn't move until the second keypress. So diagonals work because two key presses are registered, but cardinal directions require a double tap. I can reproduce this in 3.3.0.

Setting the movement delay to 0 avoids this "double-tap required" bug, but makes it impossible to move diagonally with the two key method, because the keys register as two separate moves one after the other instead of one simultaneous keypress.
              Ok, thanks - that's much clearer. This is clearly a bug related to the input layer rewrite, so it's probably not something to hold up the 3.3.2 release, though I'll be happy for takkaria to decide otherwise.

Comment

• AltF4
                Rookie
                • Oct 2010

Slight update. A double tap is not strictly required when movement delay != 0, any non-directional key will activate the previously pressed arrow key.

Nope, still not with you. I move diagonally by
                pressing 1, 3, 7 or 9. You do it with two keys??
                Yes, I do not have a numpad on my laptop so I use the arrow keys. That is why movement delay exists.

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by AltF4
                  Yes, I do not have a numpad on my laptop so I use the arrow keys. That is why movement delay exists.
                  Oh! Thanks - I always wondered. I use the row of numbers when playing on a laptop - I never realised you could use the arrow keys to move diagonally. Ho hum.

Comment

• Frood
                    Rookie
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AltF4
                    Actually, that is what the roguelike keyset is for. (It is also better for playing the game on a full-size keyboard because you don't have to move your hands)

Comment

• myshkin
                      Angband Devteam member
                      • Apr 2007

FYI, I've opened ticket #1577 for this issue.

Comment

• myshkin
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Frood
                        Actually, that is what the roguelike keyset is for. (It is also better for playing the game on a full-size keyboard because you don't have to move your hands)
                        For what it's worth, nonzero movement delay now also breaks the roguelike keyset.

Comment

• david3x3x3
                          Scout
                          • Jun 2009

This problem has been fixed for version 3.4, and it is also working in the nightlies ( http://rephial.org/nightlies/ ).

Comment

• fizzix
                            Prophet
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by david3x3x3
                            This problem has been fixed for version 3.4, and it is also working in the nightlies ( http://rephial.org/nightlies/ ).
                            Awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍