X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paffa
    Scout
    • May 2007

Originally posted by aeneas
    This is why high hp are so valuable- the resists past poison don't cut damage by all that much (and I think Nether cuts the least), and are more important for avoiding side effects. Nether's side effect is xp drain, which is meaningless.
    Shards is also dangerous without resistance, if you don't have very big hp's. Even Great crystal drakes are dangerous without resistance, I don't remember what's the cap for shards but it's big.

Against certain uniques that breathe hard you want all the respective resistances (Disenchantment for Tarrasque, Sound and shards for Huan etc.) Because their breathing *will* do big damage even while resisted.

Comment

• will_asher
      DaJAngband Maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by aeneas
      ..(but why were you standing next to a hasted Death Mold?)..
      once got killled by a death mold when I mistook it for a grey mold because they look similar (one is medium grey, one is dark grey). I died just as I was wondering "Why isn't this grey mold dying?"
      I need to make sure I always keep the monster list open when I play vanilla.

(DaJAngband doesn't have death molds, and I also cut down on different monsters having the same symbol and color, though it still oocurs occationally.)
      Will_Asher
      aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
      http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• aeneas
        Adept
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Paffa
        Shards is also dangerous without resistance, if you don't have very big hp's. Even Great crystal drakes are dangerous without resistance, I don't remember what's the cap for shards but it's big.
        Unless V has changed, or I am way off, you are wrong- no offense. I believe shards is capped at 400, like light dark and sound. It has less bad side effects than any of those too. I never worry about shards- I just avoid Great Crystal Wyrms, etc.

Originally posted by Paffa
        Against certain uniques that breathe hard you want all the respective resistances (Disenchantment for Tarrasque, Sound and shards for Huan etc.) Because their breathing *will* do big damage even while resisted.
        Well, all the high attacks have caps. If your HP are high they will not kill you unless you get double-moved, or get hit by more than one big breather in the same turn. But, if you ignore the fact that you just took 600 hp damage... you will die next turn if you are unlucky. Many players don't get that.

Of course if you want to kill the unique it is useful to resist its best attack- I would die of boredom if I killed all the uniques though, so I tend to not worry about damage from high resists once my hp are high. I worry much more about the side effects, which _will_ kill you, even with otherwise perfect play.

Comment

• Paffa
          Scout
          • May 2007

400 is a lot. Not lethal, but big damage.

I didn't mean that high resistance attacks can kill in one turn, just that killing uniques that breathe hard is *very* time-consuming and frustrating without resistances to their best attacks.

Comment

• Berserker
            Rookie
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gglibertine
            I don't know how to take a dump or post it... I should figure that out, I guess.
            Am I the only one who found this funny. Yeah, if you don't know how to take a dump, you should learn how quickly. Also, please don't post it... at least not on these forums!

Comment

• new.ideas
              Rookie
              • Feb 2008

hahaha, that's good.

Comment

• Jude
                Adept
                • Nov 2007

A post on the first page just reminded me...what exactly do Blessing and Heroism do? They always seemed useless to me, Blessing afaict just bumps my AC up a few points for example....do they have stronger effects on stronger characters?

Comment

• obb
                  Rookie
                  • Aug 2008

ooh! new user, question i can answer! blessing is +5 armor, +10 to-hit. Heroism is +12 to-hit and fear resistance. basically.

You can press 'l' at any item in a shop to see a description, or 'I' to inspect items in your inventory/equipment, or '~' to see a big database of everything you know.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎