• Show
Clear All
  • nppangband
    NPPAngband Maintainer
    • Dec 2008

1 (possible) bug in store_no_selling option

1) For the store_no_selling option in make_gold, there is this line:

/* If we're playing with no_selling, increase the value */
    if (OPT(birth_no_selling) && p_ptr->depth)
    value = value * MIN(5, p_ptr->depth);

For some obscure situations, shouldn't it be based on object level rather than player depth? For example, if you are opening a chest, the object generation depth is determined by o_ptr->origin_level rather than p_ptr->depth. Isn't the player losing out on gold if they take a chest from deep in the dungeon back into town to open it? I have lost track of how Vanilla determines the object level from a monster death (average of dungeon level and monster native depth?), but there is probably a similar situation there.
    NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
    Source code repository:
    https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
    Downloads:
    https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by nppangband
    1) For the store_no_selling option in make_gold, there is this line:

/* If we're playing with no_selling, increase the value */
    if (OPT(birth_no_selling) && p_ptr->depth)
    value = value * MIN(5, p_ptr->depth);

For some obscure situations, shouldn't it be based on object level rather than player depth? For example, if you are opening a chest, the object generation depth is determined by o_ptr->origin_level rather than p_ptr->depth. Isn't the player losing out on gold if they take a chest from deep in the dungeon back into town to open it? I have lost track of how Vanilla determines the object level from a monster death (average of dungeon level and monster native depth?), but there is probably a similar situation there.
    I don't understand why it matters how the game determines object level - if it's dropping and object, it's not dropping gold, and vice versa.

Your point about chests is valid ... but I've never heard of anyone opening a chest on any level other than the one they found it on, so it is a fairly minor bug!
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

If my pack is full of stuff, I'll pick up a heavy chest (rather than opening it) with my last inventory slot and recall back to town (usually heavily burdened). Sometimes I'll store chests in my home if I'm unable to open them, that is unable to pick the lock or disarm the trap (not necessarily in V).

As long as the items are generated correctly, I wouldn't bat an eye, but "fairly minor bugs" need fixin' too.
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
        If my pack is full of stuff, I'll pick up a heavy chest (rather than opening it) with my last inventory slot and recall back to town (usually heavily burdened). Sometimes I'll store chests in my home if I'm unable to open them, that is unable to pick the lock or disarm the trap (not necessarily in V).
        Wow, that had never occurred to me in ten years. I shall feel like a right chump if it turns out that everybody does it.
        As long as the items are generated correctly, I wouldn't bat an eye, but "fairly minor bugs" need fixin' too.
        You're right, they do. I opened #1527 for this.
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
          Wow, that had never occurred to me in ten years. I shall feel like a right chump if it turns out that everybody does it.
          It's quite often necessary in FA wilderness vaults, where you need to run in, grab stuff and then get out before the orcs beat you to death.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• nppangband
            NPPAngband Maintainer
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
            Wow, that had never occurred to me in ten years. I shall feel like a right chump if it turns out that everybody does it.You're right, they do. I opened #1527 for this.
            I didn'y write my explanation too clearly either, that didn't help.

I think taking chests to town to open them is more common in NPP where chests contents are much more valuable, especially when found in greater vaults. People like to open them in town so they don't have to leave a bunch of good items in the dungeon if their backpack is full.

The scenario I am most concerned about is this:

The player with store_no_selling goes down to 50'.
            He encounters a level 150' creature and kills it.
            The creature drops gold.
            Will that be a multiplier of 1, 2, or 3 for the amount of gold? Angband currently says the multiplier is 1. I forget how Angband calculates what shoud be the depth of a drop these days as it has changed a couple times. Is it the dungeon level depth, monster native depth, or an average of the two? The formula is only consistent if it is dungeon level depth.
            NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
            Source code repository:
            https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
            Downloads:
            https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by nppangband
              I didn'y write my explanation too clearly either, that didn't help.

I think taking chests to town to open them is more common in NPP where chests contents are much more valuable, especially when found in greater vaults. People like to open them in town so they don't have to leave a bunch of good items in the dungeon if their backpack is full.

The scenario I am most concerned about is this:

The player with store_no_selling goes down to 50'.
              He encounters a level 150' creature and kills it.
              The creature drops gold.
              Will that be a multiplier of 1, 2, or 3 for the amount of gold? Angband currently says the multiplier is 1. I forget how Angband calculates what shoud be the depth of a drop these days as it has changed a couple times. Is it the dungeon level depth, monster native depth, or an average of the two? The formula is only consistent if it is dungeon level depth.
              IIRC it's MAX(mlev, AVG(mlev, dlev)) - so you get the full benefit of killing OOD monsters, and some benefit from killing shallow monsters at deeper depths.

You are right - this does mean that killing a 150' critter at 50' will get you x1 rather than x3 gold. But I'm not sure this is a real problem, since we want to encourage people to descend rather than scumming dl1 for gold. So I'm still not convinced that this aspect is a bug.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎