X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monkey Face
    Adept
    • Feb 2009

3.3.0 Questions

I'm enjoying 3.3.0 but have a couple of questions.

First, it seems that I no longer receive 1 experience point for opening a locked door. I didn't see anything about this change in the release notes. Was this an intentional change or just an oversight? Early on, opening locked doors was a relatively safe way to get experience points.

Second, can someone post a listing of the order of the various new level feelings? It's hard to tell the difference between "not much interesting here", "scraps of junk", and "naught but cobwebs"?

-Andy
  • dos350
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

i still havnt recieved a table of the level feeling info for 3.30

and plx no rage about reading the help blah blah ? ingame help, it doesnt say it!
    ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Monkey Face
      I'm enjoying 3.3.0 but have a couple of questions.

First, it seems that I no longer receive 1 experience point for opening a locked door. I didn't see anything about this change in the release notes. Was this an intentional change or just an oversight? Early on, opening locked doors was a relatively safe way to get experience points.
      Well spotted! It was a deliberate change, because you can now lock doors (using the 'D'isarm skill - I know, we need a new command). The game currently can't tell the difference between a door you locked yourself and one you didn't, so you don't get xp for unlocking any more. (I once found this bug in Sangband and sat there for hours levelling up the world's most pathetic character.)
      Second, can someone post a listing of the order of the various new level feelings? It's hard to tell the difference between "not much interesting here", "scraps of junk", and "naught but cobwebs"?
      Code:
      "there are superb treasures here.",	
      "there are excellent treasures here.",	
      "there are very good treasures here.",
      "there are good treasures here.",
      "there may be something worthwhile here.",
      "there may not be much interesting here.",
      "there aren't many treasures here.",
      "there are only scraps of junk here.",
      "there are naught but cobwebs here."

"Omens of death haunt this place",
      "This place seems murderous",
      "This place seems terribly dangerous",
      "You feel anxious about this place",
      "You feel nervous about this place",
      "This place does not seem too risky",
      "This place seems reasonably safe",
      "This seems a tame, sheltered place",
      "This seems a quiet, peaceful place"
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• dos350
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

legit post, ty magnate and lol @ ur new sig , rofl , plx no rage~

edit,

heres my view on new "lvl feelings"~

not only are they now confusing but they arent so much feelings anymore, more like boring description, the old feelings were better imo!
        ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Monkey Face
          Adept
          • Feb 2009

Thank you for the response.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
            Swordsman
            • Nov 2008

I like the new feelings and I love that it is broken into two parts.
            My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• dos350
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

i dont mind that they are broken into 2 parts, my point is~ they arent feelings, anymore.

read the messages lol when u go stairs, it is not feelings!
              ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• bio_hazard
                Knight
                • Dec 2008

The first phrase (danger level) is a feeling, and the second is a continuation of the first. I don't see a problem with it...

Can someone remind me of whether unique drops are factored into the level feeling? I just had a "naught but cobwebs" feeling at 750' feet, killed Golfimbul, who dropped the Phial and one of the unique gauntlets. So I'm guessing the treasure feeling did not take these into account?

Comment

• Monkey Face
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                  The first phrase (danger level) is a feeling, and the second is a continuation of the first. I don't see a problem with it...

Can someone remind me of whether unique drops are factored into the level feeling? I just had a "naught but cobwebs" feeling at 750' feet, killed Golfimbul, who dropped the Phial and one of the unique gauntlets. So I'm guessing the treasure feeling did not take these into account?
                  Yesterday I found a monster dropped Tulwar of Westernesse at 50' with a cobwebs feeling so I think it is still based on what's on the floor.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                    Swordsman
                    • Nov 2008

As far as I know feelings do not account for monster drops. Are monster drops determined when the monster is created or when it dies?
                    My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Max Stats
                      Swordsman
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Monkey Face
                      Yesterday I found a monster dropped Tulwar of Westernesse at 50' with a cobwebs feeling so I think it is still based on what's on the floor.
                      How long were you on the level? If you were there long enough for new monsters to appear, you could have a nice drop that wasn't there when the feeling was generated.
                      If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• dos350
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

they arent feelings lol , maybe 2 of them are, but the rest are description~ and heres another thing, it gives double feeling often, mayb put a minimum delay on how long it take 4 the second part, not just random lol~
                        ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Magnate
                          Angband Devteam member
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
                          As far as I know feelings do not account for monster drops. Are monster drops determined when the monster is created or when it dies?
                          Drops are now determined when the monster is created, but a decision was taken not to include drops in the level feelings - the level feeling is the sense you get, after spending a while on the level, of what's on the floor.
                          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
                            Drops are now determined when the monster is created, but a decision was taken not to include drops in the level feelings - the level feeling is the sense you get, after spending a while on the level, of what's on the floor.
                            Thanks- that's what I thought- just thought I'd check in case there was a problem.

Comment

• jwildstr
                              Rookie
                              • Nov 2011

Well, I just discovered this thread (and Angband 3.3.0), but I just found the Phial of Galadriel on L11, and got a feeling of "There aren't many treasures here". That seems wrong to me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎