X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jude
    Adept
    • Nov 2007

Angband on a laptop?

OK, so I'm sick with some infection after getting my appendix taken out, and laid up for a while...one way to pass the time would be to do some dungeon crawling on my dad's laptop (I need to lie down or at least be in bed). However...it seems like trying to play a roguelike without a numeric keypad would be way more trouble than it's worth. Has anybody else ever tried working Angband on a laptop keyboard? Is there any good way to pull it off or should I just play some other game?
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jude
    OK, so I'm sick with some infection after getting my appendix taken out, and laid up for a while...one way to pass the time would be to do some dungeon crawling on my dad's laptop (I need to lie down or at least be in bed). However...it seems like trying to play a roguelike without a numeric keypad would be way more trouble than it's worth. Has anybody else ever tried working Angband on a laptop keyboard? Is there any good way to pull it off or should I just play some other game?
    The usual way to do this is to use the roguelike keymap (gameplay option). However, it means a nearly completely different set of commands. If you ever plan to get your own laptop, this may be the way to go...

Alternatively, you may be able to define your own 'keypad' by making a keymap for all the run and walk commands, and remap any overloaded commands to some other characters.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

I pay with the original keyset on a laptop - you get used to using the Fn key after a while.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Dragonboneman
        Adept
        • Aug 2007

I also use the original keyset on a laptop and it's really not much bother. I use the cursors for about 90 per cent of movement commands, only using Fn when I have to move diagonally.

Comment

• fyonn
          Adept
          • Jul 2007

I only own a laptop and have done for years now. I pay angband mostly on the cursors, and I use 1,3,7,9 on the top row of the keyboard. I'm kinda used to it now. those rectangular rooms with a checkboard interior aren't too bad as I can navigate by only using the numeric diagonals, but earthquakes annoy me (but then, they always did).

Comment

• Slortar
            Rookie
            • Dec 2007

Whenever I've *banded on a laptop, I go to the Accessories/Accessibility menu under Program Files and pull up the on screen keyboard. That gives you mouse-driven access to the number pad (and other keys). Works great for me. I usually keep a shortcut to it in my *band folder for quick access.

Comment

• Pah
              Rookie
              • Dec 2007

Get an external keyboard. It's not expensive.

Comment

• Blackened
                Rookie
                • Oct 2007

For me as a VIM user, rogue-like keymap is the only natural way to play; it doesn't really matter then whether I have my external keyboard plugged in or not.

Comment

• arcum42
                  Rookie
                  • Apr 2007

You can buy a usb numeric keypad, and use that with your laptop. That's actually one of the first accessories I picked up for mine...

Comment

• rdermyer
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 2007

I play on my macbook, and I could never get into the roguelike keyset, so I use a combination of mostly touchpad with number keys for precision movement. The mouse support got me back into Angband, since then I could play it on my laptop without having to learn the other command set.

Comment

• Frood
                      Rookie
                      • Dec 2007

I used to play using the original keyset on my laptop using the 123456789-keys to move around. It actually works pretty good, except that it is somewhat awkward to run in a particular direction. Also it is a pain to move your hands whenever you want to do anything other than just walk or attack.

Now I play using the roguelike keyset and that works much better. One big advantage is that you rarely have to move your hands away from the normal typing position. You can learn it pretty quickly, it takes maybe two hours to be able to play without having to look up keys too often.

Comment

• slashme
                        Rookie
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Frood
                        Now I play using the roguelike keyset and that works much better. One big advantage is that you rarely have to move your hands away from the normal typing position. You can learn it pretty quickly, it takes maybe two hours to be able to play without having to look up keys too often.
                        Darn right. I used to play with the keypad and original keyset, but I found that that made me seasick looking up and down from the monitor to the keyboard every time I had to type anything with my right hand.

<digression>Of course, that was back when I was doing absolutely ridiculous savefile scumming. I used to save before killing a unique or reading a scroll of acquirement, and if I didn't like what I got, I restored, took a step, and tried again!!! I soon realized that that playing normally was much more fun and much faster.</digression>

Anyway, I learned the roguelike keyset (took me a while to get used to the diagonal keys) and never looked back. Now I don't move my hands at all, and keep my eyes on the screen.
                        "There are little testicles at the bottom of our most sublime feelings and our purest tenderness." --Denis Diderot

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎