please, no rage !

Comment

• jens
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by dos350
      that is brutal yo
      +1

I really like this, you have just succesfully disarmed the chest, you open it, and out pops 3 creeping coins. This would require chest contents to become more interesting though, so the risk is worth taking.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Random thought: stick (some) vault items into chests. Not only is it thematic, it also reduces the power of object detection -- you know there's something in the vault, probably something good, but you won't be able to tell until you crack the chest. Better not accidentally blow it up either!

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
          Random thought: stick (some) vault items into chests. Not only is it thematic, it also reduces the power of object detection -- you know there's something in the vault, probably something good, but you won't be able to tell until you crack the chest. Better not accidentally blow it up either!
          That's pretty sweet. Also makes it harder to smash and grab. Maybe immovable chests, a terrain feature that can contain objects.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Max Stats
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by buzzkill
            That's pretty sweet. Also makes it harder to smash and grab. Maybe immovable chests, a terrain feature that can contain objects.
            Or just make vault chests weigh 9999 pounds. Technically movable, but you wouldn't want to, at least not with the vault nasties still around.
            If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• Tiburon Silverflame
              Swordsman
              • Feb 2010

To extend derakon's vault-chest idea...how's about there's simply "chests" created with the level, and whose contents are created at that time? Doesn't have to be in a vault. At shallower levels, perhaps these are always DROP_GOOD; later, DROP_GREAT. So, yeah, you know it could be nice, but you don't know what it is.

Comment

• Jazerus
                Apprentice
                • Jun 2011

As it is, having stuff all over the ground in vaults is a bit of an engine workaround rather than (probably) a design decision that was thought much about at the time. Vault chest objects would be more realistic and obscure the identity of vault items, which is probably a good thing. Static chests to open occasionally for good stuff might be a good thing outside of vaults, too.

Comment

• dos350
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

excuse me, maybe its good outside vault, but def not in~!!~

if i didnt know there was something i really want in a vault and i did know there were fierce monsters, i would skip it!

but those special chests outside vaults would be good ,e eee plz no rage~
                  ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Zyphyr
                    Adept
                    • Jan 2008

I like the idea of special chests (outside vaults), but instead of Drop Good/Great, I would go with 20 or so levels OOD. Simpler to code than specia l casing based on DL.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Chests already give a bonus to the effective level of items they generate, so that's done. I wouldn't mind seeing toned-down NPP-style chests either, which are themed (e.g. chest of books, chest of body armors, chest of potions) though generally overly powerful for Vanilla.

Comment

• jens
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Jazerus
                        As it is, having stuff all over the ground in vaults is a bit of an engine workaround rather than (probably) a design decision that was thought much about at the time. Vault chest objects would be more realistic and obscure the identity of vault items, which is probably a good thing. Static chests to open occasionally for good stuff might be a good thing outside of vaults, too.
                        I totally agree with this. Lots of stuff in the game just are because that was the simplest way to do it when it was done. Taking all the loot from one GV and put it in a chest, then you know there will be several things you really want in that chest, but it will be an all or nothing thing :-) Probably would need to design some vaults specifically for this chest though...

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

If we're talking about putting some vault items into chests, I'd prefer multiple chests instead of just one, and then we should think about some chest mimics too. Considering how heavily trapped vaults are, I think mimics would fit right in (though possibly an annoyance).

A little randomness in vault design and item placement wouldn't hurt either.
                          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍