X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dos350
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

cursed arrows

hi, on my last mage i found some arrows of backstabbing (cursed, strange) or something it said, anyway, wat is the point of them lol, i just fired them all and didnt pick it back up , plz no rage~
    ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Arrows of Backstabbing are supposed to..--.-.-.... Wow, your grammar is really improving.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

They're just useless arrows. Cursed ammo's never really been explored as a concept in the game, so just think of them as extra flavor.

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

Though it would be awfully if they did something else. Maybe a chance of hitting the player instead of the target when fired?

Comment

• Nolendil
          Adept
          • May 2007

Actually, I assumed from the name that it was what they were doing
          A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
          A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
          C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Nolendil
            Actually, I assumed from the name that it was what they were doing
            That's exactly what they do in some variants.
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nolendil
              Adept
              • May 2007

Hum, maybe I played one of those then and kept that in mind when I went back to V...
              A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
              A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
              C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• d_m
                Angband Devteam member
                • Aug 2008

For what it's worth, there is a ticket open about removing cursed ammo. It doesn't really work well and it's not something that is probably worth fixing/exploring compared to other parts of the game.

So yeah, just shoot that stuff out of your quiver and ignore it.
                linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Antoine
                  Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by d_m
                  For what it's worth, there is a ticket open about removing cursed ammo. It doesn't really work well and it's not something that is probably worth fixing/exploring compared to other parts of the game.

So yeah, just shoot that stuff out of your quiver and ignore it.
                  What I did in Ironband was to give cursed ammo a minus to hit but a plus to dam, instead of the sticky-curse.

This turns it into a 'grey item'. You are tempted to use them for the extra damage, but if you give in to the temptation you will end up missing a lot of the time and may actually be worse off.

It seemed to produce interesting gameplay decisions, at least in the early game.

A.
                  Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• d_m
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Antoine
                    What I did in Ironband was to give cursed ammo a minus to hit but a plus to dam, instead of the sticky-curse.

This turns it into a 'grey item'. You are tempted to use them for the extra damage, but if you give in to the temptation you will end up missing a lot of the time and may actually be worse off.

It seemed to produce interesting gameplay decisions, at least in the early game.

A.
                    I like that approach.

The long term goal (or at least my long term goal) is to move cursed items from "aha, gotcha" items into items which have potentially bad consequences but are at least tempting to try to use. This sounds like the same kind of thing.

In my ideal game, a cursed sword is one which is obviously cursed, but which is so powerful and useful that the character is tempted/forced into using it (and thus sealing their fate) a la the literature: Stormbringer, Mormegil, Andvardi's Ring, etc.
                    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Antoine
                      Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by d_m
                      I like that approach.

The long term goal (or at least my long term goal) is to move cursed items from "aha, gotcha" items into items which have potentially bad consequences but are at least tempting to try to use. This sounds like the same kind of thing.

In my ideal game, a cursed sword is one which is obviously cursed, but which is so powerful and useful that the character is tempted/forced into using it (and thus sealing their fate) a la the literature: Stormbringer, Mormegil, Andvardi's Ring, etc.
                      Yes, moving from a sticky curse inside the game ("I can't drop this, even though it's bad") to a sticky curse outside the game ("I can't convince myself to drop this, even though I know it's bad for me").

The -/+ ammo idea is certainly very easy to implement. Would just need to make sure that the - usually outweighed the + (otherwise it would make the early game easier).

A.
                      Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• dos350
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

are these arrows new tho lol , i never found them in 3.1.22 or watever and i played that alot
                        ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Ammo of backbiting has been around for years; it's certainly not new.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                            Prophet
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by d_m
                            For what it's worth, there is a ticket open about removing cursed ammo.
                            I believe that someone has hardcoded disallowing cursed egos in object creation, and non-ego weapons with minuses are no longer cursed, so cursed ammo is effectively gone in the nightlies.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎