Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bulian
    Adept
    • Sep 2010

I think the underlying question to the DSM debate is where do ego DSMs fit in the power curve? Are they endgame armor, or should artifacts be better than them? If they are end game armor, make them deeper. If an ego is better than the most common end game artifacts for a slot, that seems to me to be a problem. DSM of permanence has been mentioned several times as always being better. It is.

DSM of speed being so good comes down to the power of large amounts of speed on items. A bigger problem to me is that =Barahir and =Tulkas are NEVER used once =speed is found. I'd rather see all end game artifacts get a small speed bonus and do away with the required ego of speed.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
      (btw, has anybody thought any practical use to search-bonus? Currently it is the most useless item feature. Maybe make that affect LoS trap detection range?)
      I liked the idea in this thread.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• camlost
        Sangband 1.x Maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
        There is perhaps a way round this, although people might not like it.

At the beginning of each game, randomly select N artifacts. These artifacts will never be generated during the game by any means.

The player will have to manage his kit without those artifacts, because he will not find them no matter how long he looks.

A.
        Sangband makes randarts out of the unused artifact IDs. Perhaps we could instead randomize some artifacts instead of discarding them.

That still doesn't solve the problem of quantity/rarity/power, but helps alleviate the "wait for [artifact] to complete" syndrome.
        a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
        3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by camlost
          Sangband makes randarts out of the unused artifact IDs. Perhaps we could instead randomize some artifacts instead of discarding them.

That still doesn't solve the problem of quantity/rarity/power, but helps alleviate the "wait for [artifact] to complete" syndrome.
          Some people have proposed this before for V, but my feeling is that it's never managed to reach a majority. V seems to be a straight choice between a standart set (which has long been crippled with a "standard endgame kit" problem) and a completely randart set (which has recently been overpowered).
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• EpicMan
            Swordsman
            • Dec 2009

I vote for the subset of the standart list. Angband has a massively variable difficulty curve - see the recent posts about early finds of BoS or the flaming ego weapon,

The biggest upside I see is not the change in difficulty of endgame fights, but the increased variety of tactics/events that will occur because player X is missing artifact Y this game.

For the sake of completionists, include the number of unknown artifacts in the knowledge menu so players can see how many more are left. This info should be presented anyways, as a spoiled/veteran player knows the total # of artifacts currently anyways.

The main downside is it changes the current "I can collect any amount of anything I want if I scum long enough" gameplay of Angband.

Comment

• Philip
              Knight
              • Jul 2009

Downside? Really? I wouldn't say so. I think it has no major problems. Subset of the standard set or rest replaced by randarts, I'm quite in favor.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎