X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CunningGabe
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2008

Hellhounds

Hellhounds first appear at DL35 alone, and then at DL78 in packs. They are otherwise identical. Are they really *that* much more dangerous in packs than alone?

I am working on adding a flag for monsters that first appear alone and then in packs later. For the novices, there is a difference of 4 DLs, and for Mumaks and carrion crawlers, there is a difference of 8-9 DLs. I find it hard to believe that Hellhounds need a difference of more than 40 DLs.

Should solitary hellhounds be deeper, or should hellhounds in packs occur earlier? (or some combination of the two)
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by CunningGabe
    Hellhounds first appear at DL35 alone, and then at DL78 in packs. They are otherwise identical. Are they really *that* much more dangerous in packs than alone?

I am working on adding a flag for monsters that first appear alone and then in packs later. For the novices, there is a difference of 4 DLs, and for Mumaks and carrion crawlers, there is a difference of 8-9 DLs. I find it hard to believe that Hellhounds need a difference of more than 40 DLs.

Should solitary hellhounds be deeper, or should hellhounds in packs occur earlier? (or some combination of the two)
    They should be in packs earlier!
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Agreed, especially since solitary hellhounds aren't very threatening in the first place. I always think "oh crap! A hellhound! Must deal with carefully!" and then it dies quickly and I go "oh right, they're more like heckpuppies."

Comment

• camlost
        Sangband 1.x Maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        Agreed, especially since solitary hellhounds aren't very threatening in the first place. I always think "oh crap! A hellhound! Must deal with carefully!" and then it dies quickly and I go "oh right, they're more like heckpuppies."
        Sounds like their HP should be increased. I take S hellhounds seriously -- they breathe for ~100 damage and take a while to kill. I frequently bail on them early.
        a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
        3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• d_m
          Angband Devteam member
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by camlost
          Sounds like their HP should be increased. I take S hellhounds seriously -- they breathe for ~100 damage and take a while to kill. I frequently bail on them early.
          Either that or maybe rename V's Hellhound to "Lesser Hellhound" and add a "Greater Hellhound"

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Well, currently they have 352HP. Compare acidic cytoplasms at 352, mumak at 495, silent watches at 1040, all at equivalent depth; or 5-headed hydras which show up 7 levels earlier and have 450HP. So yeah, a boost wouldn't be out of the question. Bring them up to 700HP and their breaths would deal 77 damage, resisted.

They're also fast and have 3 3d12 fire attacks. I can't remember if elemental melee attacks are pure-element or half-and-half physical/elemental; assuming the latter resistance would mean that you'd take 13 damage average per blow, or up to 78 in melee assuming all hit and you're at normal speed. 5-headed hydras are also fast and have 4 4d4 poison bites, dealing on average 80 damage/round if you have no poison resist (likely). No inventory destruction though.

Comment

• camlost
              Sangband 1.x Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by d_m
              Either that or maybe rename V's Hellhound to "Lesser Hellhound" and add a "Greater Hellhound"
              Heckpuppies would be way funnier. They come in gaggles, though. Not packs.
              a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
              3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• d_m
                Angband Devteam member
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by camlost
                Heckpuppies would be way funnier. They come in gaggles, though. Not packs.
                The Heckpuppy drools on you
                The Heckpuppy sniffs your crotch (x2)
                Your Pants of Special Occasion [4, +6] burn up!
                -more-

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

I think you could have a whole variant here. Hellhounds become Heckpuppies, Killer Slicer Beetles become Nasty Scratchy Bugs, Death Knights become Mean Soldiers, White Icky Things become, umm, ...
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• CunningGabe
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2008

Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think for starters I won't tinker with them too much except to have their packs appear much earlier. We'll see how dangerous a pack of fast fire-breathers is around DL40-45.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think for starters I won't tinker with them too much except to have their packs appear much earlier. We'll see how dangerous a pack of fast fire-breathers is around DL40-45.
                      Change fire to plasma and you are set. Fire breath isn't very dangerous, but plasma is unresistable and causes stunning if you don't have sound resist.

Comment

• Atarlost
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2007

Silent Watchers look like they're getting premium HP for their immobility. Mumaks are mostly harmless balls of XP wrapped in HP. I'd try them at 500 HP before 700 unless everything is suffering HP inflation.
                        One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
                        One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Atarlost: why undercorrect when you can overcorrect? Much more fun that way.

Comment

• d_m
                            Angband Devteam member
                            • Aug 2008

Sounds good. I think I might take Timo's correction and create Greater Hellhounds that breathe plasma!

Comment

• Bostock
                              Swordsman
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                              White Icky Things become, umm, ...
                              ...Bright Happy Memories!
                              So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎