X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgen
    Rookie
    • Feb 2010

Spoiler bug?

Hi, I play Vanilla approximately 1 year, but only now dare to write here. Recently I noticed how a door in the explored area, to which I have no line of sight is opened and then from that came towards me a kobold. This provided or it is spoiler bug? I play on 3.2.0.
    Please do not laugh me for my bad English.
    Sorry for my bad English!
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Belgen
    Hi, I play Vanilla approximately 1 year, but only now dare to write here. Recently I noticed how a door in the explored area, to which I have no line of sight is opened and then from that came towards me a kobold. This provided or it is spoiler bug? I play on 3.2.0.
    This is how it has always worked, so not really a bug. Also, you can imagine that your character knows what direction that door is in, and so can work out from hearing it open which door has opened.

Please do not laugh me for my bad English.
    I'm sure you are better at English than I am at your native language. I have also seen native English speakers write worse than you
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• dos350
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

just because of language talk i am here to say for all us english as first language people, straight up~ eeee
      ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Angband only has two tags for dungeon tiles: seen and unseen. An unseen tile is drawn black, a seen tile is always drawn using its current state. We should get around to fixing this at some point so that tiles out of LOS are drawn based on what they looked like the last time the player actually saw/detected them, but I suspect it'd involve a significant rewrite.

Comment

• Zyphyr
          Adept
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
          Angband only has two tags for dungeon tiles: seen and unseen. An unseen tile is drawn black, a seen tile is always drawn using its current state. We should get around to fixing this at some point so that tiles out of LOS are drawn based on what they looked like the last time the player actually saw/detected them, but I suspect it'd involve a significant rewrite.
          I haven't actually looked at the code, but I suspect that it would be fairly simple to write. The only real issue would be in increased memory usage, which would be a potential problem for mobile versions - and depending on the actual structure already in use that might not even need to happen.

We would just need to add an extra field for each map space containing what was last seen, each player turn update that field for each space in LOS and then instead of displaying the "what is really there" field, display the "what @ remembers as being there" field. I assume that LOS checks are currently done each turn to determine if anything needs to have the Seen flag set, so that check would be easily altered to this purpose.

Doing it that way would eliminate the need for a Seen flag. When generating the map for the level, all of the Memory entries would be initialized to a blank.

As a side note, adding this feature would probably break savefile compatability.

All of the above is off the top of my head, and I may well be missing something that would make it a hard change.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎