Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roch
    Adept
    • Oct 2008

Nostalgic for old games like zork and wizardry, in about '04 I did some looking around online and came across angband. I was immediately blown away by the depth and the gameplay dynamic that revealed my tendencies for complacency or ambition. It took me a few years to give variants a try, but as a rule I found them to be very rich and very fun. This site's discussion and competitions have been feeding my addiction every since.

Comment

• Sirridan
      Knight
      • May 2009

I found rogue somehow, and from rogue came roguelikes which lead to angband.

Must have been... 8 years ago? Got one dun warrior win that I savescummed the heck out of (one ring + deathwrecker iirc) and a kobold warrior last year.

Comment

• Lebannen
        Apprentice
        • Apr 2008

I think I started with Hack, on the family Macintosh SE - sometime at the end of the eighties? Spent many years with that, before finding Angband (2.7.3?) - possibly on one of the very first UK MacFormat cover CD-ROMs (which served as enormous shareware compilations), which appears to be 1995.

Wandered in and out of variants for a while, settling on ZAngband as the favourite in around 2000, before heading back to Vanilla in more recent years...

Comment

• Nile
          Scout
          • Jul 2008

I found Angband in like 1998, through a freeware gaming site, maybe gamehippo. Played it for a bit with savescumming, then moved on the Z, S, NPP, and Tome. I beat tome in 2004, then came full circle back to vanilla and got my first vanilla legit win around 2007.

Comment

• bio_hazard
            Knight
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bio_hazard
            I first played Angband in '93. my suite-mate in college had an older brother at MIT who sent the game over. I never knew there was a mac version at that point- probably good for my G.P.A. 'cause I could only play when my roommate wasn't using his computer. Same guy introduced us to Magic: the gathering.

Before that, I remember seeing someone play rogue in a computer lab at nerd camp in the mid '80's, but the jerk woudln't let me play.

There was also some kind of mid-80's game on the original Macs (tiny b&w screen) in my middle-school computer lab that wasn't ascii but may have been a rogue-like. I remember un-id'ed equipment, resting. Also maybe daleks, but that may have been a different game.
            Curiosity got the better of me, and I did some digging- I think the early Macintosh game I was thinking of was Dungeon of Doom. Unfortunately my current computer can't play it, but I have an older one that I think is still working and may be able to run Classic applications.

Comment

• grassy
              Rookie
              • Dec 2009

Can't remember the date exactly but I believe it was 1988 about when I discovered a DOS version of Hack on a floppy disk left in the drive of a computer in a lab at a University in South Africa. Think it was Hack - with a dog as companion that would feed off your kills and steal stuff from shops From there it was onto Moria and then Angband when introduced - if I remember Angband was basically a C version of the Fortran Moria. Still at it some 20 years later and it still intrigues me. I've even used it on my resume as a Morgoth kill ranks up there with life's achievements

Comment

• Angrist
                Adept
                • Jul 2014

One day, about a year ago, I was browsing a forum about mobile games. There I stumbled on android port Angband. I liked the idea of ​​the game without graphics. I tried to play it, but then I did not understand what was happening in the game. Since then I have sometimes tried to play it again. But again, I could not even pass the first level. A few months ago I went to this site, studied the help files and finally figured out how to play it.

Comment

• klassik
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 2013

in 1993 i had been playing cyberpunk 2020 with this group of guys in my freshman year of highschool. somewhere towards the end of the year one of them passed me a version of angband that ran on my dads 286. i was just happy with bulldozing over jackals and kobalds at 50 feet until some unique or player ghost would kill me.

any time i was separated from angband i was also separated from my computer. everytime i got a computer, the highest priority was getting the latest version of angband. and i still have not beaten it yet.
                  He did the mash.
                  He did the morgoth mash.
                  The morgoth mash.
                  It was an angband smash.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by klassik
                    somewhere towards the end of the year one of them passed me a version of angband that ran on my dads 286.
                    This makes me so jealous. I had a 286 that wouldn't run Angband. I had to pretend to like Moria better for a few more years.
                    You are on something strange

Comment

• Arendil
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 2007

How did you find Angband?
                      Boring. For the last decade at least ...

[EDIT] Oh, you mean not in idiomatic sense?

Well, roughly twenty years ago in some obscure places of the internet. For someone interested in games, Tolkien and knowing the word "roguelike" it wasn't that hard to find

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

I found Angband (during the 2.8.x era) in the AOL Game Downloads in the summer of 1997. I was trying to find something with more variety than Moria.
                        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• sam_snowy
                          Rookie
                          • Dec 2011

Our high school computer science labs had dwarf fortress on it, later on my computer science teacher at that time introduced me to Angband and I've been trying to beat it ever since. Playing on and off every year or so.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                            Knight
                            • May 2007

Gosh I remember my neighbor brought me a copy of a game called Moria on a floppy disk to play on an old DOS computer, was hooked played for a couple years and then once I got internet access in the early 90's found Angband on and off since then, didn't know their was actual forums for the game until 2007 though, and I thought cool...nice to see other people out there like me that loves this game..I had no idea that people from around the world played this game and it's nice to be part of a community that loves this old game and keeps it alive.

Comment

• Carnivean
                              Knight
                              • Sep 2013

I played a wireframe 3D game called Moraff's Revenge, for which the first x levels were shareware. I think I got my mum to stump up for the full version eventually. Dived for the first time in that game (accidentally, fell way down some trapdoor or something).

The next step was Moria. I think a mate of mine introduced me. I found the Balrog once (probably save-scummed) but got completely steamrolled.

Then Angband. Then Zangband from Thangorodrim.org. Then back to Angband, just before 3.5.0 came out.

Comment

• debo
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Carnivean
                                I played a wireframe 3D game called Moraff's Revenge, for which the first x levels were shareware. I think I got my mum to stump up for the full version eventually. Dived for the first time in that game (accidentally, fell way down some trapdoor or something).
                                I still boot up Moraff's World and Dungeons of the Unforgiven sometimes. Revenge is a little too kludgy for me, but I did finish it once.

Mechanics are junk (S-tier: mages with power-wepaon, trash-tier: everything else) but it takes diving-style and rewards it to the extreme. Nothing like being on CL15 and killing some DL99 monster and needing to get back to town to turn the kabillion experience into levels
                                Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎