enchant weapon or armor capped at 9 or 10?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zikke
    Otherwise the only point to having those spells in the spellbook is just to cast it once for the xp, which is a waste of a book slot.
    Most of the current spells are like that, unfortunately...
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Patashu
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
      Then don't do that. Repeating tasks like that is like staying in dlvl1 until you are ready for Morgoth: it is self-caused tedium.
      This argument would make more sense if it was impossible to make macros/scripts/automation.
      My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Patashu
        This argument would make more sense if it was impossible to make macros/scripts/automation.
        So you're saying the optimal way to play Angband is to write a bot to play it for you? I have good news: the Angband Borg exists.

Comment

• Carnivean
          Knight
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Patashu
          Automation of tasks like this only makes sense if you're playing competition games. If you care that much, just edit the game files.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Chance for failure is determined per the spellcasting rules (int, level). With enchant scrolls out of the basic shops, I see no reason for any extra random failures; reading a scroll of enchant should just increase the relevant attribute by +1, no fail chance. Any "balancing" can be done with scroll rarity.

The only gameplay change would be that low or high value weapons/armor have the same chance of getting enchanted; I dont see why they shouldnt.
            Classes with the spell take less time to enchant up their artifacts to +15 in town, which is also not a bad thing.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

My only problem with the current enchant weapon/armor milieu is when Mim or some such disenchants my great weapon or armor. If the stat was above 15, then I know there is absolutely no way to recover that lost status, and between 10 and 15 its still pretty unlikely. Guess I just need to learn my lesson and avoid the disenchanters until I have rDisench.
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Or just go ahead and fight Mim, recognizing that while your gear may get a bit damaged, odds are you were just going to replace it in a bit anyway.

Or stick to ranged combat.

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
                  Or just go ahead and fight Mim, recognizing that while your gear may get a bit damaged, odds are you were just going to replace it in a bit anyway.

Or stick to ranged combat.
                  If I have to fight Mim without rDisench, I take off anything that I really care about. Last time I beat him to death with a mace of slay undead that was lying around on the floor, instead of the randart that I was normally wielding.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎