X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Netbrian
    Adept
    • Jun 2009

Squelch Quantity Specification

Would it be possible to remove the quantity specification when squelching items (at least on the floor)? It'd make it easier to write a quick squelching macro that covers those cases, and I can think of few situations where I'd want to squelch only a limited number of items on the floor, but not everything.
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Netbrian
    Would it be possible to remove the quantity specification when squelching items (at least on the floor)? It'd make it easier to write a quick squelching macro that covers those cases, and I can think of few situations where I'd want to squelch only a limited number of items on the floor, but not everything.
    If you squelch *any* number of items on the floor, they all disappear (because that item type has been squelched). So you're right, the number query is pointless for squelching.

Unfortunately we only know the player is squelching after choosing a quantity. Eddie's older patch asked "Squelch ....? (y/n)" before the quantity was asked but this was considered annoying so we changed it. Since you only get prompted for quantity if you have more than one, writing a squelch macro that handles both cases may not be possible.

Maybe a better plan is to have a squelch command... for the Angband keyset it could be K (capital-K). Then you wouldn't have to worry about the number prompt. But I have been accused of "command-creep" in the past...
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• bebo
      Adept
      • Jan 2009

as a tie in to this discussion, but more a feature request actually, is it possible to make squelch much more specific in the squelch menu?

ie have sub-categories like

- blessed weapons with no higher ability
      - blessed weapons with higher ability
      - holy avenger
      - defender
      - gondolin without telepathy
      - robe of protection
      - ring of strength below +5 (which i believe is the max, right?)
      - cap of seeing
      - etc etc etc

I know this might be a huge hassle from a coding perspective, but when someone reaches deeper levels and is looking for some specific things to fill gaps until they find the right artifacts this can speed up things a lot.

Eddie? Thoughts?
      My first winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8681
      And my second! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8872
      And the third! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9452
      And the fourth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10513
      And the fifth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10631
      And the sixth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10990

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by bebo
        as a tie in to this discussion, but more a feature request actually, is it possible to make squelch much more specific in the squelch menu?

ie have sub-categories like

- blessed weapons with no higher ability
        - blessed weapons with higher ability
        - holy avenger
        - defender
        - gondolin without telepathy
        - robe of protection
        - ring of strength below +5 (which i believe is the max, right?)
        - cap of seeing
        - etc etc etc

I know this might be a huge hassle from a coding perspective, but when someone reaches deeper levels and is looking for some specific things to fill gaps until they find the right artifacts this can speed up things a lot.

Eddie? Thoughts?
        It is do-able, and I've been thinking about this for a while. The difficulty is designing a neat UI for it. My thought is that you'd have a quality sub-menu for each set of ego types. Crowns have different available egos to caps/helms, for example. I don't really like the pop-up quality menus and would rather use Pete Mack's knowledge menu interface. It's a lot of work, but yes it should be done eventually.

P.S. It's ticket #1050
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• PowerDiver
          Prophet
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bebo

Eddie? Thoughts?
          The right solution has nothing to do with the squelch menus as they are now, and is a significant project. I have about 5 significant projects in mind, and Tak put this one at his lowest priority of the 5 and it is also the most work. I have no idea when, or even if, I will get to it.

The robe of protection, I assume that meant permanence, can be handled by squelching robes lacking high resists. That also differentiates shields of preservation from shields of resistance. One trick I often use is to inscribe my wicker shield of resistance with !k and then squelch shields lacking a high resist.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
            The right solution has nothing to do with the squelch menus as they are now, and is a significant project. I have about 5 significant projects in mind, and Tak put this one at his lowest priority of the 5 and it is also the most work. I have no idea when, or even if, I will get to it.
            Out of interest, what are the others?
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• PowerDiver
              Prophet
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
              Out of interest, what are the others?
              Fractional blows with autorepeating firing, reworked quiver code, symmetric LOS paths [bugblatter thread]. Also rune-based system with no ID, but that's variant territory I guess since Tak was not that interested. Then my reinterpretation of DFOV that someone said was like
              dwarf fortress if I ever feel particularly energetic.

Money drops need to be redone so there can be a no-selling option. There must be a couple more things that don't occur to me at the moment.

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                Fractional blows with autorepeating firing, reworked quiver code, symmetric LOS paths [bugblatter thread]. Also rune-based system with no ID, but that's variant territory I guess since Tak was not that interested. Then my reinterpretation of DFOV that someone said was like
                dwarf fortress if I ever feel particularly energetic.

Money drops need to be redone so there can be a no-selling option. There must be a couple more things that don't occur to me at the moment.
                Interesting. Most of those are also on someone else's radar, except the rune system (which I've always liked the sound of, btw). Certainly d_m is interested in LOS and DFOV. I'm keen on fractional blows (as is MarbleDice IIRC), and I'm also very very keen on no selling (but we don't quite have Tak's blessing for that - he's still undecided on what to do about shopping, AFAIK).

The only one that makes no sense is the quiver one - we already have pretty decent quiver code - surely better to improve it rather than rip it out. Or are you referring to the wholesale rewrite of inventory handling that came up recently? That I could understand - and that would probably be the best use of your talents, since I don't think anyone else has thought of it (with possible apols to d_m).

Comment

• PowerDiver
                  Prophet
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
                  The only one that makes no sense is the quiver one - we already have pretty decent quiver code - surely better to improve it rather than rip it out.
                  The quiver code is truly terrible. Essentially, everything that is done for items in the pack is being rewritten for the quiver. E.g., why don't two separate bunches of 20 avg arrows merge? Someone will complain, it will get rewritten, but it shouldn't be done at all. We went from explicit wielding to auto-wielding [in progress], but there should not be any wielding at all. The quiver should be just UI on top of the pack.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎