When do you feel sure about a character?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fyonn
    Adept
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
    Hmm, I didn't have that much trouble with them my last game...I really have to be more careful with them. I was more worried about the nightwalkers because they were destroying my equipment since I didn't have resist disenchantment for awhile and even when I did I didn't like using it because it was on a secondary weapon.
    well, black reavers break all my ASC's which then leave me wide open to attack form their friends too

dave

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2010

Hmm, I tend to create long ASC and create a curved path and fight one square at a time...But sometimes the monsters do just break them. But that is what TO and tele lvl and *destruction* are for. I would have to run from a lot of the high end uniques at first. Playing at low lvls makes me aware of how easy high lvl characters really have it...honestly you can escape most things even if you have to take a lot of damage...Lower lvl charaters don't have as many options sadly.

Comment

• fizzix
        Prophet
        • Aug 2009

Hmm, I tend to create long ASC and create a curved path and fight one square at a time...But sometimes the monsters do just break them. But that is what TO and tele lvl and *destruction* are for. I would have to run from a lot of the high end uniques at first. Playing at low lvls makes me aware of how easy high lvl characters really have it...honestly you can escape most things even if you have to take a lot of damage...Lower lvl charaters don't have as many options sadly.
        lower level characters have a lot of options! wands and staves of sleep/confuse monsters can get you out of lots of jams. throwing oil can kill pretty much anything in the lower levels. It's the higher levels that get more routine.

As far as safety. If I'm feeling safe with a character, it means that it's time to fight Morgoth, otherwise, I'll probably die.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

I've got to try throwing oil. I have used confuse monster to take a lot of baby dragons out in my time. plus phase door scrolls have been helpful too. I guess what I mean is that lower lvl characters can't tele lvl or destruct stuff.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by LostTemplar
            r. base pois conf blind + telepathy + free action, 10+ base speed and you are safe. Dont run out of failproof escapes.
            The Phoenix (offscreen) breathes light. You die.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
              Swordsman
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Estie
              The Phoenix (offscreen) breathes light. You die.
              That is why I always hit mab when I get to a new level...or every once in awhile. Although with Telepathy you don't even need to do that.

Comment

• fizzix
                Prophet
                • Aug 2009

That is why I always hit mab when I get to a new level...or every once in awhile. Although with Telepathy you don't even need to do that.
                i highly recommend using inscriptions. Inscribe mb1 with @m1@b1@G1 and instead of mab use m1b. Then you don't run into the problem of casting the wrong spell if your book gets burned.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                  Swordsman
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by fizzix
                  i highly recommend using inscriptions. Inscribe mb1 with @m1@b1@G1 and instead of mab use m1b. Then you don't run into the problem of casting the wrong spell if your book gets burned.
                  Dude that sounds awesome...how does inscribing stuff work? I have cast the wrong spell due to me dropping books before.

Comment

• Zikke
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2008

Quick lesson:

@z0 on an item means if you hit 'z' to zap a rod, instead of choosing a rod from the list you can type 0 for that rod.

Inscribe @m2 into your second mage book and if you make a spell macro that types "m2a" it'll cast the first spell of the same book even if your "Magic for Beginners" got burned away

If you're a warrior and you want to collect a ton of Rod of Illumination, inscribe the stack with something like @z0 (or @z1, @z2, whichever number you're up to) and then make a macro (I use the F3 key) that types "z0" and now your F3 key lights up rooms.
                    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                      Swordsman
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zikke
                      Quick lesson:

@z0 on an item means if you hit 'z' to zap a rod, instead of choosing a rod from the list you can type 0 for that rod.

Inscribe @m2 into your second mage book and if you make a spell macro that types "m2a" it'll cast the first spell of the same book even if your "Magic for Beginners" got burned away

If you're a warrior and you want to collect a ton of Rod of Illumination, inscribe the stack with something like @z0 (or @z1, @z2, whichever number you're up to) and then make a macro (I use the F3 key) that types "z0" and now your F3 key lights up rooms.
                      Thanks dude!

Comment

• PowerDiver
                        Prophet
                        • Mar 2008

Do the inscriptions through the object knowledge menu, instead of inscribing the object directly. Then it will be done automatically forever.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

When do I feel sure about a character?
                          Immediately before taking on Inigo Montoya.

Comment

• Nile
                            Scout
                            • Jul 2008

Although high level characters can die too, you can always *destruct* the area around you killing or getting rid of everything. You just have to do it so in that sense every high level character has an escape... you just have to pull out sooner rather than latter.
                            While ?*destruct* is definitely one of, if not the the most sure ways to live, ?tele, ?tele level, or tele other are good for 99% of bad situations, even at dlev 98. It is true you can tele when at low health into a group of monsters and die. However, the secret, which took me a long time to learn, is to teleport when you perceive a situation could get bad, before it actualy gets bad. This means you are porting at high health/mana, so insta-death-after-teleport occurrences are rare.

With that in mind, I am generally very sure of a character with telepathy, ?tele or ?tele level, and tele other. For up to dlev 50, one or two of the previous will suffice.
                            Last edited by Nile; May 27, 2010, 23:21.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

There is always tiny chance of getting insta-killed when you enter new level unless you are moving at speed +30 or above. Imagine this:

Enter new level: next to you are two Grand Master Mystics. Both kick you to the head before you can react. KO. Then they proceed to beat you to death.

Melee is not restricted like spells and breaths are. If you enter new level next to something nasty it can hit you before you can react. That is unless 3.1.X has changed that rule.

With enough speed OTOH you are safe from that.

ESP is also life-saver. I have found myself in new levels in situation where immediate escape had to be done which was not visible without ESP.

Once you have enough HP, ESP, speed, escapes, good enough weapons, healing and some basic survival resistances (mainly basic4, poison, confusion, sound and blindness and maybe nexus and perfect saving throw or FA) then I feel "safe".

Comment

• Ycombinator
                                Adept
                                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                                Enter new level: next to you are two Grand Master Mystics. Both kick you to the head before you can react. KO. Then they proceed to beat you to death.
                                When you enter new level, all monsters have zero energy and you have 100 energy (INITIAL_DUNGEON_ENERGY constant). In the described situation, you can use whatever escape you have (?Tele, ?TeleLevel or corresponding 0% fail spells) before they can attack.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎