X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zappa
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2008

Dwarven Priests, Edged Weapons, and You

I've been running another Dwarf Priest and i am having trouble finding primary weapons. I have seen a few blunt egos but have yet to see any (Blessed) or HA weapons. How much of a handicap is using an "uncomfortable" weapon and would I be better served using something like a Flail of Slay Animal?

Here is a link to my dump:

Any other comments, suggestions, or hints regarding my character, such as inventory, would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fake edit: If this thread is redundant, I am sorry, I did a cursory glance through search and wasn't able to find anything similar.
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

The main issue is the increase in spell failure chance. At your level, I would probably use a blunt weapon and orb. Mellee with 1 attack is not an option and lowering spell chance not worth it for +2 str/con. Once you get 4 attacks, the choice becomes harder though. Good luck.

Comment

• Zappa
      Apprentice
      • Feb 2008

I went and grabbed a Quarterstaff of *Slay Undead* that had +1 WIS so things are looking up! I also was able to find Godly Insights at the BM too.

I'm dropping the first priest book finally. I probably could have before, but Holhenneth takes to long to recharge.

Comment

• fizzix
        Prophet
        • Aug 2009

You don't drop pb1 until you pick up pb6. Detection is very important, you did the right thing.

Similarly, once you get pb5, you can drop pb2 and just carry down a satisfy hunger scroll with you and read it when your slots fill up. (or carry pb2 and ditch it, same thing)

Comment

• Zappa
          Apprentice
          • Feb 2008

Shortly after reading this, Ethereal Openings showed up in the BM, so thanks!

I'm going to update my dump.

Comment

• PowerDiver
            Prophet
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
            You don't drop pb1 until you pick up pb6. Detection is very important, you did the right thing.

Similarly, once you get pb5, you can drop pb2 and just carry down a satisfy hunger scroll with you and read it when your slots fill up. (or carry pb2 and ditch it, same thing)
            I would reverse the advice on PB5. Double resistance is too important to give up, so PB2 is a keeper until you either have Colluin or immunities to both fire and cold. It is PB5 that I sometimes go without. You may be better off with scrolls of phase door and wands of teleport other until your failure rate is down to 0%.

Comment

• fizzix
              Prophet
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by PowerDiver
              I would reverse the advice on PB5. Double resistance is too important to give up, so PB2 is a keeper until you either have Colluin or immunities to both fire and cold. It is PB5 that I sometimes go without. You may be better off with scrolls of phase door and wands of teleport other until your failure rate is down to 0%.
              You know, you're completely right. I forgot about the resistance spell in PB2, probably because my last priest had immunities long before I found PB5 or PB6. I knew there was some other useful spell there but couldn't remember it.

Comment

• fyonn
                Adept
                • Jul 2007

it's funny. I never really gave any thought to not carrying any of my books... I've got a full set of 9 right now, though I guess I could lose pb1. probably keep pb2 though for satisfy hunger.

dave

Comment

• PowerDiver
                  Prophet
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by fyonn
                  it's funny. I never really gave any thought to not carrying any of my books... I've got a full set of 9 right now, though I guess I could lose pb1. probably keep pb2 though for satisfy hunger.

dave
                  It's a bit different for priests, but you can see some of my views in the discussion area of this paladin competition dump

Comment

• Zappa
                    Apprentice
                    • Feb 2008

Double resistance? Is this having rBase on two items of gear?

Comment

• Taw
                      Rookie
                      • Apr 2010

One piece of gear, one temporary from a potion/spell/activation/etc.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

No, it's having a permanent source of resistance and a temporary source. Priests and paladins get the spell "Resist Heat and Cold" in their second prayerbook (and magical types get the entire Resistances and Scarbtarices spellbook), which give temporary resistance to the relevant elements. That combines with permament resistance sources, giving a net reduction in damage to 1/9th. Given that the normal cap for basic elemental damage is 1600, this can be very useful indeed against powerful breathers.

Comment

• Zappa
                          Apprentice
                          • Feb 2008

PB2 back in the inventory. Still cannot find rPois so I am afraid of going to 2000'
                          I had a sort of scary battle with a Dark Elf Sorcerer who summoned Bodaks who summoned more stuff.

Comment

• fyonn
                            Adept
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Zappa
                            Double resistance? Is this having rBase on two items of gear?
                            no, it's having, say, a resistance to fire from equipment and then a spell for resist fire as well. This can be very important.

Gothmog can breathe fire for 1600hp.
                            with res_fire from either equipment or spell, that is cut down to a third, so 533.
                            With res_fire from both equipment and a spell, it's thirded again, so 178...

is that right ppl?

dave

Comment

• fizzix
                              Prophet
                              • Aug 2009

Yes it is correct.

Fire,Elec,Acid,Cold breathers all breath at (current hp)/3 capped at 1600.

Single resist (permanent or temp) knocks it down by 1/3. (max 533)
                              Double resist (permanent and temp) knocks it down by 1/9 (max 178)

Poison breathers breathe at (current hp)/3 capped at 850
                              Poison resist (permanent or temp) knocks it down by 1/3 (max 283)
                              You cannot double resist poison.

All the higher ones have different maximum values and different hp dividers. The unresisted maxima are much lower, topping at about 550 (600 for Morgoth manastorm). High level resist tend to reduce damage from 1/2 to 5/6 depending on a random roll.

I once survived an unresisted poison breath by Ungoliant.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎