X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

Double moves

I was wondering how slow would I have to be for Morgoth to double move me, and how does that work? See, my character is currently at 28+ with a haste spell. So I'm thinking that while Morgoth would be slightly faster than me he couldn't double move me. But is this in fact the case? I ask because I'm tired of waiting until I find more speed or a better bow. I feel like I might be able to take him now. But if I'm too slow that would be a waste.

Here is my character: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10133
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

By definition, if you are slower than him, eventually he has to get a double-move.

If you are shooting and have more than 1 shot per round, then he will not double-move on a turn after you shoot. Your shot only counts as part of a move, not a full move in this case.

When you ?phase and heal, he may get a double-move on his way back, but you can avoid that by shooting, perhaps at nothing, to take advantage of the shooting energy mechanic.

Comment

• fizzix
      Prophet
      • Aug 2009

I have plans after my current character dies in some stupid fashion to attempt a game as a ranger with the modifications of +might instead of +shots, no extra shot weapons in the game, and +0 to dam on all ammo.

Because actually coming up with a good implementable fix for the overvalue of extra shots is beyond my ability to think of/code.

Comment

• Matthias
        Adept
        • Apr 2007

You have several options if you don't want to wait. The cloak Luthien brings you to 20 and only costs you a useless shard resistance. Or you could use a second speedring as morgoth doesn't have cold attacks anyways.

I would be more worried about the lack of res Disenchantment as your arrows look like they won't nearly be enough and if you start hitting Morgy on the head you really want resDis

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by PowerDiver
          By definition, if you are slower than him, eventually he has to get a double-move.

If you are shooting and have more than 1 shot per round, then he will not double-move on a turn after you shoot. Your shot only counts as part of a move, not a full move in this case.

When you ?phase and heal, he may get a double-move on his way back, but you can avoid that by shooting, perhaps at nothing, to take advantage of the shooting energy mechanic.
          Why would I want to phase then heal, rather than just heal then attack?

I did this with Sauron...of course I hit him with a lot of slay evil arrows first...Plus I tend to heal when I get near 700 hp. With the big M I have a lot of *healing* and Life potions that I'll break out.

But thanks for answering my question.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

You phase then heal for two main reasons:

* A turn spent healing is a turn that you aren't spending attacking. So why should M get to attack? Healing in melee is just giving him free chances to whale on you.
            * You can use CCW potions as effective healing if you phase first, but they can't keep up with M's melee attacks.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
              Swordsman
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Matthias
              You have several options if you don't want to wait. The cloak Luthien brings you to 20 and only costs you a useless shard resistance. Or you could use a second speedring as morgoth doesn't have cold attacks anyways.

I would be more worried about the lack of res Disenchantment as your arrows look like they won't nearly be enough and if you start hitting Morgy on the head you really want resDis
              Yeah I'd actually love to use my cloak...but resist shards kept me alive. However there aren't many things that can breath shards at lvl100. Also Nenya does a lot more than give immunity to cold. I like having it on: ) My worry is that Morgoth will summon a shard breathing wyrm .... That could end the fight real quick. I expect Morgoth to run when he gets close to death and I know that I'll be better off rushing him rather than setting stuff up and letting him heal up. Which means that I'll be possible exposed to breath weapons.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
                You phase then heal for two main reasons:

* A turn spent healing is a turn that you aren't spending attacking. So why should M get to attack? Healing in melee is just giving him free chances to whale on you.
                * You can use CCW potions as effective healing if you phase first, but they can't keep up with M's melee attacks.
                Good point! I'll be sure to phase then attack. But CCW is pretty useless in 3.0.9b plus I have 20 heal, and close to 20 *healing* and 9 life potions. I should be able to finish him before I'm out of potions. Oh and a staff of Healing,Rod of Healing and Elessar. Healing is covered!

Thanks BTW!

Comment

• Matthias
                  Adept
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
                  Yeah I'd actually love to use my cloak...but resist shards kept me alive. However there aren't many things that can breath shards at lvl100. Also Nenya does a lot more than give immunity to cold. I like having it on: ) My worry is that Morgoth will summon a shard breathing wyrm .... That could end the fight real quick. I expect Morgoth to run when he gets close to death and I know that I'll be better off rushing him rather than setting stuff up and letting him heal up. Which means that I'll be possible exposed to breath weapons.
                  I though the whole point was that you don't want to wait. You can risk it with 28 speed, or you can risk it without res shards, or you can risk it without whatever else you get from Nenya. Or you can wait some more. Out of the three, I'd guess 28 speed would be the most risky but with your healing potion collection non of them should be suicidal.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                    Prophet
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
                    Oh and a staff of Healing
                    That's another reason to phase and heal. If you are in melee, and he is hitting you, you do not want to let him drain any charges. You phase, recharge, and use up all charges on the staff before letting him hit you again.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                      Swordsman
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Matthias
                      I though the whole point was that you don't want to wait. You can risk it with 28 speed, or you can risk it without res shards, or you can risk it without whatever else you get from Nenya. Or you can wait some more. Out of the three, I'd guess 28 speed would be the most risky but with your healing potion collection non of them should be suicidal.
                      Good point! I guess its taken so long to get to this point that a few hours more won't make much difference.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2010

That's another reason to phase and heal. If you are in melee, and he is hitting you, you do not want to let him drain any charges. You phase, recharge, and use up all charges on the staff before letting him hit you again.
                        Yeah I plan on using the charges BEFORE we get into hand to hand: ) BTW I read your story earlier...you are brave. After having been this low I can sort of see why you try to get low so soon, but I'd be too freaked out that I'd get killed. On the other hand that is what *destruction* scrolls and staves are for right?

Comment

• Antoine
                          Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                          • Nov 2007

That's another reason to phase and heal.
                          Something I've been wondering about.. . why is it safe to phase away from M when damaged? Don't you worry that one of his summons will breathe on you and finish you off, after you phase but before you heal?

A.
                          Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                            Swordsman
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Antoine
                            Something I've been wondering about.. . why is it safe to phase away from M when damaged? Don't you worry that one of his summons will breathe on you and finish you off, after you phase but before you heal?

A.
                            That is what banishment is for : )

Comment

• PowerDiver
                              Prophet
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Antoine
                              Hopefully you have immunity or double resistance to most of the elements. Acid and poison are half as bad, fire and cold are easy, so elec is the worst threat. Multiple chaos breathers is bad news of course.

Sometimes you need to phase about teleporting away some of the summons. Sometimes you use the ?banish or ?massBanish you've hoarded all game.

Also, you and M are faster than the summons. If you are meleeing, you are always at the center of a mess with travel paths in all directions. Sometimes you can phase and heal and head away and the summons do not catch up.

Ideally, you phase at a bit over 600 HP so you have a fair number left to survive a couple breaths if you get unlucky. Occasionally it is too dangerous to phase first. Then you should megaheal and let him hit you next turn.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎