Sound on Linux with X11 is it available.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tuppe666
    Rookie
    • Jul 2007

Sound on Linux with X11 is it available.

I'm running from SVN, I'm trying to run it with command ./angband -v -mx11 -- -o -n3. I just want conformation that sound is available on GNU as much as anything.
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

I have no clue, but I know sound works in Sangband on X11 with the SDL port, though with very bad quality and mono on my box.

Comment

• ajps
      Apprentice
      • May 2007

Originally posted by tuppe666
      I'm running from SVN, I'm trying to run it with command ./angband -v -mx11 -- -o -n3. I just want conformation that sound is available on GNU as much as anything.
      Good luck running from SVN, that's not the most stable (or balanced) game.

Sound is handled by SDL_mixer, so you have to install that and compile with SOUND_SDL defined, and then it should work. I've never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure takkaria tested it out on Linux to make sure it worked there.

Comment

• tuppe666
        Rookie
        • Jul 2007

Nothing doing with ./configure --enable-sdl-mixer --disable-curses. Although thanks for the advise. I never get enough resistances to get past the hounds anyway . The only thing I've been concerned about is the distinct lack of artifacts, and recently the lack of CCW's available for purchase.

Balancing as a whole should be an ongoing process; which is something that concerns me greatly about the reportedly 6 month release cycle. That and the fact that 6 months is too long for any OS project. The only justification is that the next version will break save files...and I'm sure that such things can be somewhat avoided.

Sangband doesn't appeal to me, although I'm biased as I could never get my head around skills based RPG's. Although I've been desperate to try an in development alternative as I've overplayed Angband just lately. I couldn't get UnAngband to work on GNU or Hellband although I find in increasingly hard to live without my original tileset since I first used it.

Comment

• Fuma
          Adept
          • May 2007

Here's a nice explanation why the release cycle is six months:
          www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

• ajps
            Apprentice
            • May 2007

Nothing doing with ./configure --enable-sdl-mixer --disable-curses.
            Ah, shame. I don't use autoconf so can't really offer any other ideas there. It does look like it should work.

Although thanks for the advise. I never get enough resistances to get past the hounds anyway . The only thing I've been concerned about is the distinct lack of artifacts, and recently the lack of CCW's available for purchase.
            CCWs I believe are currently not in shops in svn to see how the game plays with the altered healing potions and no guaranteed source of CCW - CLW and CSW are significantly better than in 3.0.9. Whether that'll stay or not I don't know.

Balancing as a whole should be an ongoing process; which is something that concerns me greatly about the reportedly 6 month release cycle. That and the fact that 6 months is too long for any OS project. The only justification is that the next version will break save files...and I'm sure that such things can be somewhat avoided.
            Balancing is indeed an ongiong process, but if you've made large-scale changes to object generation then it'll take a while to shake it out - at the moment for instance there seems to be a whole heap of useful stuff generated on the floor in the early dungeon levels that makes the game significantly easier in the earlier stages - and this is not intentional. It's currently reasonably practical to scum the first level for speed potions, for instance, in my experience.

I won't get into the release cycle thing too much, but six-monthly stable versions like 3.0.9 (which seems about as bug free as 3.0.6) still seems reasonable to me. See http://angband.oook.cz/rgra.php?showpost=108888 for details of the plans for the next release, that might allay your fears.

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

It is. Re-run ./autogen.sh && ./configure, and see what happens. With any luck, it should tell you that sound is disabled because the libraries aren't installed. If so, install the libsdl and libsdl_mixer library development files and rerun configure.
              takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• zaimoni
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

It has been mildly practical to scum DL1 for !Speed since at least 2.7.9.

But unnecessary in the early midgame or later, once the Black market comes through. Obliterating discounts has improved the diversity of stocking in the stores; in my recent V test games, the Black Market is a somewhat reliable source of !Speed.
                Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• tuppe666
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2007

Just got it working. I had to have SDL enabled with ./configure --enable-sdl-mixer --disable-curses --enable-sdl.

Thank you all for your help

Comment

• tuppe666
                    Rookie
                    • Jul 2007

Sorry on Craig's Angband page a link for xtra sounds. I can only find those in a bundle with a windows version of 3.0.5, and about 5 files are capitalised.

That can't be right!?

Although I have never laughed so much as when you hear a mouse roar.
                    Last edited by tuppe666; September 13, 2007, 04:47.

Comment

• ekolis
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Mice roaring? How about mushroom patches screaming in pain when you hit them?
                      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡