X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

Almost YASD dwarf priest

Normally I play exclusively stealthy gnome mages. I "get" them and enjoy the full control over choosing and planning combat meetings. But I've played a few other classes from time to time, despite the claustrophic feeling of not being able to detect perfectly every monster all around. I've got clev 32 dwarf priest who's coming along nicely, finally found the first dungeon spellbook, and is firmly in stat gain. I have a rod of TO and tunneled into a checkerboard room only to find a "A" facing me, so I TO'd it immediately. Unfortunately, there was a nexus vortex just behind it, and it TO'd me next to the A on the far corner of the dungeon, "A" had a powerful melee attack with confuse, and I had no _teleport and no confusion resist of any type. I thought I was a gonner, and it was looking bad, the guy was hitting for like 200hp per round. But finally when I thought it was YASD time, it morphed into an "E" without a confuse attack, allowing me to quaff a CCW and thankfully not hitting me hard, allowing me to read my ?TeleportLevel. 20 HP remained .....
    Oof. I was lazy to carry a _teleport, but without confusion resist, it's just too risky!
  • Jbone
    Rookie
    • Mar 2024

Wow, what a close call!!! Angband can be so cruel lol.

That gets me thinking, how exactly does teleport other work? Does it just choose a far away location and teleports to that area everytime if your position doesnt move... or does it choose a random location?

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

It chooses a random location every time, but within chosen bounds (has to be far enough away from the player, etc). This means depending on dungeon configuration there may only be a few possible locations, and they may all be close together.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎