X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agoodman
    Adept
    • Jan 2011

Ignoring items

I am having an issue where I want the borg to destroy (ignore, 'k') one item. The problem comes from when he has a stack. I don't want him to destroy the whole stack, just one at a time. So currently the borg drops the item then destroys the item it is standing on. The problem comes from this being two commands and the drop command takes "time" (the monsters get a turn). So what frequently seems to happen is the object is dropped, something happens that causes the player to move (teleport to or recall kicks in or ... something) and the 'k-aa' is no longer valid since the borg is no longer standing on that object. 'k-' gets ignored, 'a' does 'aim a wand' and the keypress queue is all fubar. So, questions...

1) should drop take time? I haven't looked to see if this is a change from earlier versions.
    2) is there a way to destroy one item in a stack in inventory? Preferably one command.
    3) is there a way to destroy an item that takes no time?
  • agoodman
    Adept
    • Jan 2011

BTW, there is another related issue where if I am doing the above destroying of a stack of items. Since items are left but ignored on the ground, if I have a pile of food
    c) 6 Rations of Food
    and I want to destroy/ignore one. I do
    dc1{Enter}
    k-aa
    then, I want to destroy another so I do
    dc1{Enter}
    but when I do
    k-aa
    it doesn't work because the second Ration stacks with the first and is auto-ignored. I worked around this by making sure I never ignore items when standing on anything, even if the thing I am standing on is ignored. I have to "cheat" to tell that I am standing on something ignored. So I have a work around to this issue but I figured I would mention it since having dropped items suddenly disappear just because they stack with something ignored on the floor seems ... not great.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Can you make him destroy a single item from the inventory without dropping it?
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• agoodman
        Adept
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nick
        Can you make him destroy a single item from the inventory without dropping it?
        What are the keypresses for that? "k" doesn't allow a number.

I do consider this the optimal solution. I have 3 Rations, I destroy one. It is gone. It takes no weight, it takes no inv slots.
        Last edited by agoodman; June 20, 2024, 23:13.

Comment

• agoodman
          Adept
          • Jan 2011

my current working fix, which I absolutely hate, is
          inscribe stack with "borg ignore"
          drop one
          check if any item is inscribed with "borg ignore" and deinscribe it.
          when finding items, declare any item that is on the floor and inscribed with "borg ignore" is value -10
          if standing on an item that is value -10, destroy it with k-aa

Comment

• agoodman
            Adept
            • Jan 2011

another thought on this is when you destroy/ignore an item/stack in inventory when you are in the dungeon it auto-drops the item... which means you are adding a "time cost" activity (dropping) to a zero cost action (ignoring).

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎