X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoldBorg
    Rookie
    • Mar 2024

automatic Borg respawning?

I used to have the APW Borg screensaver back in the day - its salient feature was automatic respawning after death. Thus far, I have not been able to figure out how to get the 4.5 Borg to do the same thing. So when it dies - which it still does quickly - I have to (n)ew game, (n)ew character, @. ^z, y, y, z to get the Borg started again. What can I do to make the Borg run continuously?
  • backwardsEric
    Knight
    • Aug 2019

Set the cheat death option to on ('=', 'x' for "Cheat options", 'd' and 'd' to toggle "Allow player to avoid death") at some point before you do '^z' and 'z' to let the borg do its thing. By default, it will still stop if it manages to win the game. You can change that by altering what "borg_respawn_winners" is set to in the borg.txt file in Angband's user directory.

Comment

• agoodman
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2011

I seem to recall that the latest binary release of Angband's borg didn't quite have the screen saver working yet. The latest source version seems to work. The way I got it to run on Win10 is copy angband.exe to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 as angband.scr and put a angband.ini there that looked like
      [Angband]
      AngbandPath="C:\Source\angband\GitHub\ang-bug\Debug"
      SaverFile="mage"

Comment

• listlessbeets
        Rookie
        • Mar 2024

At some point before you do '^z' and 'z' to let the borg do its thing, be sure you set the cheat death option to on ('=', 'x' for "Cheat options", 'd' and 'd' to toggle "Allow player to avoid death"). It will still terminate by default if it wins the game.

Comment

• agoodman
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2011

there is a config value in borg.txt
          borg_respawn_winners
          defaults to FALSE but if you set it to true, the winners will respawn too.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎