X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by d_m
    I can start a thread if people want to sound off on this.
    Andrew already did that ...
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Marble Dice
      No, it is not fun. Maybe to you it is, to me it is not. You obviously don't know me or what is fun to me, but that's fine, I wouldn't expect you to. That's why I tried to make it clear that it was my opinion when I stated it.
      Have you tried? Game feels much more intense without all the information you are now getting with single look. Seriously, that "lack of information" is a good thing, not bad. It increases feel of danger and it also adds kind of "fog of war" that is missing in current vanilla.

Game is quite boring and way too easy now. There is no feeling of mystery left. I never anymore feel compelled to do some exploring. It is just one single run to bottom of the dungeon to kill Morgoth and that's it. Million turns without any "wow!" or "I didn't expect that" moments. That's just boring.

Eddie et co. are trying to re-generate that mystery feeling with "ID by testing", but because ID as spell still exists and is plentiful as items that doesn't change much.

Comment

• TJS
        Swordsman
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
        Whole gaming philosophy was a bit different too: there were deliberate junk items (shards of pottery, non-monster skeletons) without anybody complaining about them and you were not expected to win the game. No item stacking also made things quite a bit different. Much less items were found in drops, especially in summoning explosions and high-reward pits and there was in contrast more floor-items and vaults played bigger role in gaming. You usually saw at least one GV in one game, so you saw approx one CGV in four games. Now it can take a lot of games before you see a good GV. You also usually now have better gear *when* you find one.

Also region between 2500 and 4000 (or something like that) was more difficult because there were no low-speed boost items like Amulets of Trickery. If you found an GV you were very tempted to clear it up in hope to find RoS or BoS or one of the speed-booting artifacts.
        I quite like the idea of not knowing exactly what an item or monster is until it comes into your line of sight. Just seeing a D and not knowing any more about it is quite an interesting prospect.

Also you could still have these items squelched when they come into your line of sight and become identified, so you still wouldn't have to wade through loads of shards of pottery for example.

Not sure how it would work for people using tiles though (I use old tiles which has a different tile for each monster, and are recognisable at a glance, which I like).

Another thing I'd like to see is the chance of vaults, pits and other interesting stuff as early as level 1. I hate starting a new game knowing there will be nothing interesting at all for a load of levels which I have to go through.

Comment

• Tatami
          Apprentice
          • Oct 2009

Would having your level of detection detail be based on your perception be possible? Eg rouge detection spells being the most detailed and so on?

High perception is a big difference to pick rogues but by endgame is borderline meaningless.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

The difficulty with early vaults, as anyone who has ever played with the "always generate unusual rooms" option can attest, is that you can't break into most of them without being able to bore through solid granite -- and frequently, much more of it than a -Stone to Mud can provide. Most young characters can't manage that; it's limited to beefy warriors who buy picks, and mages who learn Stone to Mud as a castable spell.

I wouldn't mind modifying vault generation to not always require you to dig to the entrance. Mostly this would involve surrounding vaults with some walkable space (since the game will generate corridors going up to the vaults). Some vaults, like the GCV, should still require digging though.

Comment

• Marble Dice
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
              I wouldn't mind modifying vault generation to not always require you to dig to the entrance. Mostly this would involve surrounding vaults with some walkable space (since the game will generate corridors going up to the vaults). Some vaults, like the GCV, should still require digging though.
              Another possibility is sometimes replacing granite with magma or quartz. Same mechanics (only bore and passwall can get out), but easier to break into.

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Tatami
                Would having your level of detection detail be based on your perception be possible? Eg rouge detection spells being the most detailed and so on?

High perception is a big difference to pick rogues but by endgame is borderline meaningless.
                This is how it works in Sang (in which perception is an improvable skill), but I don't think it would work for V, unless perception was changed to a clev-dependent skill (like, e.g., magic device skill).
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
                  Prophet
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by TJS
                  I quite like the idea of not knowing exactly what an item or monster is until it comes into your line of sight. Just seeing a D and not knowing any more about it is quite an interesting prospect.

Also you could still have these items squelched when they come into your line of sight and become identified, so you still wouldn't have to wade through loads of shards of pottery for example.

Not sure how it would work for people using tiles though (I use old tiles which has a different tile for each monster, and are recognisable at a glance, which I like).

Another thing I'd like to see is the chance of vaults, pits and other interesting stuff as early as level 1. I hate starting a new game knowing there will be nothing interesting at all for a load of levels which I have to go through.
                  I'm kind of curious about trying a challenge character where no detection spells are available. Changing the edit files to remove the detection staves/scrolls/wands is pretty trivial.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                    Unangband maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

The difficulty with early vaults, as anyone who has ever played with the "always generate unusual rooms" option can attest, is that you can't break into most of them without being able to bore through solid granite -- and frequently, much more of it than a -Stone to Mud can provide. Most young characters can't manage that; it's limited to beefy warriors who buy picks, and mages who learn Stone to Mud as a castable spell.

Sangband does a much better job of connecting vaults up to tunnels. Again, it's probably worth stealing the code from there if required.

Andrew
                    The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
                    In UnAngband, the level dives you.
                    ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
                    Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nightmarjoo
                      Adept
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                      I'm kind of curious about trying a challenge character where no detection spells are available. Changing the edit files to remove the detection staves/scrolls/wands is pretty trivial.
                      I imagine it'd be feasible, but very luck-oriented, kind of like ironman.
                      My first winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9326 Link, the Kobold Warrior!

My second winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9369 Cailet, the Hobbit Mage!

Damned be those who use High Elves, for they are the race of the weak!

Comment

• fizzix
                        Prophet
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Nightmarjoo
                        I imagine it'd be feasible, but very luck-oriented, kind of like ironman.
                        It's less trivial than I thought because mucking around with ESP is necessary for this and harder.

Comment

• TJS
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2008

I don't really have a problem with an early vault that you can't get into, it makes getting a pick or shovel worth keeping rather that just being useless junk like it is at the moment. Also you'll have to scout around the level for a heavy weapon or -stone to mud. Even if you can't get into the vault, it is quite exciting finding it and trying to get in. Better than a boring old level with nothing in it of interest.
                          I must have played 100 games of Angband now and I've only found one GCV and probably 2-3 CVs.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎