X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChodTheWacko
    Adept
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Marble Dice
    If I could just see the range by going into the fire prompt, that would be perfect for me.
    I was the one who started the recent thread, and I like this idea - it would have the least slowdown. What I find annoying about 'There are no targets in range" is that if a monster is charging towards you, you have no idea how far out of range they are, so you don't know how many turns to wait before you should start shooting.

- Frank

Comment

• Marble Dice
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko
      I was the one who started the recent thread, and I like this idea - it would have the least slowdown. What I find annoying about 'There are no targets in range" is that if a monster is charging towards you, you have no idea how far out of range they are, so you don't know how many turns to wait before you should start shooting.

- Frank
      True - No reason you can't combine them, though. If you want to shoot at something, mash the button and get an error message, then you hit the fire command to check your range and see how much closer you need to be. Adjust your spacing, and try again.

Comment

• Tatami
        Apprentice
        • Oct 2009

Love ther new command. Its great for clearing pits and hordes where specific targeting isn't required.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by andrewdoull
          Based on the lack of free time I have at the moment, I'm in no danger of getting to this soon. It shouldn't be too hard to reintegrate the patch I wrote... I believe there was one clash between the colour table variable name I used and a couple of *Nix platform specific tables.

UnAndrew
          Hey, good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

I don't suppose you could (re)post the patch, could you? I can't find it anywhere.

Many thanks,

CC
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

I just wanted to quickly point out that I've been using variants on this command for years -- basically ever since I discovered macros. The basic format is "*tf1" (I use old target by default; otherwise you could do "f1*t") with the ammo inscribed with "@f1".

Actually, generally I use it for mages so I can quickly pelt enemies with cheap bolt spells; "*tm1a" for example.

Of course this doesn't get you range indicators, and if there are no enemies in range you shoot at your feet, but it's still really very handy.

Comment

• d_m
              Angband Devteam member
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
              Of course this doesn't get you range indicators, and if there are no enemies in range you shoot at your feet, but it's still really very handy.
              I've seen variations on this macro, but usually they are error-prone and verbose. The (potentially misguided) goal was to make something more canonical and easier to use.
              linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• PowerDiver
                Prophet
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
                I just wanted to quickly point out that I've been using variants on this command for years -- basically ever since I discovered macros. The basic format is "*tf1" (I use old target by default; otherwise you could do "f1*t") with the ammo inscribed with "@f1".
                Would "*tf1*t" work with both settings for "use old target" ?

Instead of using up a new command letter, I'd rather see some sort of macro reworking so that they can abort if e.g. a spell fails or no target is in range. That, of course, would be much more work I'd want someone else to do.

Comment

• Whelk
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2007

Out of curiosity, what are the determining factors as to whether a function is worth being assigned to a heretofore unused command letter?

Comment

• d_m
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Whelk
                    Out of curiosity, what are the determining factors as to whether a function is worth being assigned to a heretofore unused command letter?
                    I'm not sure. I didn't discuss this feature in detail with Takkaria--when I mentioned it in passing his advice was to try it and see what the response on this forum was!

So far it doesn't seem too popular, does it?

Comment

• Whelk
                      Adept
                      • Jun 2007

I think I've read more about people liking it than not, though maybe that's just the overall concept more than the use of the h key. For what it's worth, I like using the h key for this.

I'm just curious why those against it are against using a key for it. Are we saving the h key for something in particular, or are we just hesitant to use it because it might potentially be useful for some other new feature in the future? This new auto-fire-at-nearest-target feature seems like a great time to use a hitherto unused key that, to my knowledge, isn't being saved for anything in particular.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                        Would "*tf1*t" work with both settings for "use old target" ?
                        It should, I think. If you have "use old target" on and try to do "f1*t" you'll shoot at the previous target, then change your target; conversely, if you have it off and do "*tf1", you'll be stuck looking at a prompt for what to shoot at (I think; I haven't played without "use old target by default" in over a decade, so I don't know what purpose specifying a target outside of actively firing/casting/throwing does for you).

Most of my games end up rebinding !, @, #, $, and %, in addition to other convenient-to-Dvorak-keyset-users keys like ", Q, ;, and :. I also tend to bind F to a light-area spell or activation. Any normal keymappings that get "overridden" by these can still be accessed by escaping (i.e. typing \ and then F gets the old "refill a light" behavior). However, my bindings change drastically depending on what class I'm playing; warriors will bind to rods while mages bind to spellbooks, for example. Mages also tend to have way more bindings.

As for the particular command in question, I don't deny it's useful, but I'm not certain how much extra value we get out of making it an "official" command. Mostly, it seems to me, we get graceful abort when there's no eligible target; however, we lose a graceful way to specify what ammo is used.

Comment

• Philip
                          Knight
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Whelk
                          I think I've read more about people liking it than not, though maybe that's just the overall concept more than the use of the h key. For what it's worth, I like using the h key for this.

I'm just curious why those against it are against using a key for it. Are we saving the h key for something in particular, or are we just hesitant to use it because it might potentially be useful for some other new feature in the future? This new auto-fire-at-nearest-target feature seems like a great time to use a hitherto unused key that, to my knowledge, isn't being saved for anything in particular.
                          It's because the rougelike keyset uses h as a moving command and maybe it should be tied to the macro-like keys, as if it were a automatic macro.

Comment

• Whelk
                            Adept
                            • Jun 2007

Is it currently overriding the movement h key when you switch to the roguelike keyset? I would think that, given the roguelike set uses different keys for commands, that the new "fire at nearest target" command would be assigned a letter that was previously unused for the roguelike set.

Comment

• Psi
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by d_m
                              So far it doesn't seem too popular, does it?
                              For what it is worth, I like it. I admit it isn't like Angband traditionally works with these things, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't happen as instantaneously as I'd expect. It seems to be flagging up the target with the cursor first etc - almost like it is replaying a macro. Is that intentional?

Comment

• d_m
                                Angband Devteam member
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Psi
                                One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't happen as instantaneously as I'd expect. It seems to be flagging up the target with the cursor first etc - almost like it is replaying a macro. Is that intentional?
                                The idea is that since you otherwise won't get any feedback about who you're actually shooting at, it highlights and then "immediately" un-highlights the target. Maybe this should just be left to base delay, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍