Adept
    • Dec 2008

Ring of escaping

Anyone ever uses them?

Personally I don't. I squelch it.

Any thoughts?
    NeoWizard
    -. . --- .-- .. --.. .- .-. -..

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre. Olny 55% of plepoe can. mtat
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by NeoWizard
    Anyone ever uses them?
    If I find them early I will keep them as a swap in case I need to run away from someone, especially if I'm playing a mage or a ranger.
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Whelk
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

I hold onto them early on for another escape option, but so far I haven't actually needed to use one. I tend to just phase door/teleport/teleport level.

Comment

• SilverD
        Scout
        • Nov 2009

The do fetch a good selling price =p
        Reality is what, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
        Failure is not an option. It is a privilege, reserved only for those who try.

Comment

• PowerDiver
          Prophet
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by NeoWizard
          Anyone ever uses them?

Personally I don't. I squelch it.

Any thoughts?
          Surprisingly, I use them as intended for additional running speed. I used to use them for speed when spellcasting or using archery, but not so much any more.

Comment

• Marble Dice
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2008

You can use them for low level shoot 'n' scoot tactics, or to make room if you want to cast a couple heals without getting beat up, but I probably use =teleportation more frequently. I don't squelch them because they sell pretty well for the depths you're likely to find them.

Comment

• TJS
              Swordsman
              • May 2008

Perhaps we could make them more useful if they don't make you afraid if you have resist fear or have drunk a !Heroism etc.

Comment

• fizzix
                Prophet
                • Aug 2009

The rings are something that I wind up carrying around in the early levels of the dungeon, because I like several escape options. However, I think I've actually used it once or twice, opting for sleep or confuse monster. Until I get the ability to teleport. I still carry it around because I can recall and exchange it for a staff of teleportation.

I would combine Escaping and Teleportation rings. They seem to serve the same purpose. Just add random Teleportation to the Escaping ring and remove the ring of teleportation.

Comment

• pav
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2007

They're free gold, basically. I even autoinscribe them {1176gp}
                  See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Marble Dice
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
                    I would combine Escaping and Teleportation rings. They seem to serve the same purpose. Just add random Teleportation to the Escaping ring and remove the ring of teleportation.
                    I use =Teleportation more often than =Escaping because you can use =Tele for a (short-term) combat speed bonus. If they were combined I probably wouldn't use them for much.

Comment

• shawnosullivan
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by fizzix
                      The rings are something that I wind up carrying around in the early levels of the dungeon, because I like several escape options. However, I think I've actually used it once or twice, opting for sleep or confuse monster. Until I get the ability to teleport. I still carry it around because I can recall and exchange it for a staff of teleportation.

i'd be against combining them, as i find the teleportation rings considerably more useful. the small speed boost plus free periodic phase door while fighting a slightly too-tough unique orc can be very handy if your mana or fail rate are too poor to phase reliably.
                      like many here, i've occasionally carried around escaping rings but in practice have only used them maybe once or twice. the idea is cool, but it so rarely is practical. maybe i should just play more mages.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎